See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Cooler - MUST READ

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After hitting 226 deg while racing last night I quickly ordered the TEP kit along with a new filter / gasket also from TEP, gonna order those delco pan magnets (to do the fix from the GM tech bulletin) and make sure they are good as well, should have everything in next weekend
Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Going to be ordering up a cooler for my 06 gxp, and just wondering what the best way to go is. Car is stock , and will stay stock, but wondering what the best/most popular choice is.. As well as where to get the magnets, as I didnt see them anywhere
Old 06-30-2015, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Purchased my kit when the write up was in order from beginning to end. Now the link takes you to the pics but i'm not sure of the order they go in. Does anyone have this in order or another write up to follow. I'm located in Kenosha, Wi and the weather has been mild as of now. Would like to do it before the temp goes up. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Teching In

I ordered my cooler - the stand alone I - and have to get it in mine ASAP. I am curious to know though from anyone who has done these particular coolers, can it be done without taking the nose off the car? I'm sure it is going to be a little more tricky to do it, but I really don't want to have to pull the nose off if I don't have to.

And here is some awesome info for ANYONE looking to do the magnet upgrade... I found a place to get the super high-strentgh magnets, that are also high temp also - good for 300°F!!! Here i where to get them from, and which specific ones to get and use:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com
2x: p/n BY0X02SH, 2" x 1" x 1/8" block magnets - for use inside the pan...
1x: p/n D82SH, 1/2" x 1/8" disc magnet - for use on the filter itself...

I myself, added 2 bar magnets into the new Dorman pan, #265-814, which has a drain plug, and a small circular magnet on the filter itself.

Where to mount the magnets inside the pan...

Where to mount the disc magnet onto the filter...

So if anyone can give me some insight about the install of the TEP stand alone cooler and if the nose needs to be removed or not, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks fellas, and hope this helps!!!
Old 08-08-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have an Impala, but I removed both grills in my GXP to mount my trans cooler. I did not use the same one you did so it could be different. The placement of the magnet on the filter will be determined when you go to button it back up you will see where you car place it that has clearance, its tight in there. Not sure of your mods or plans for the car but now is the time for the shift kit if you were thinking about it. Its easy and under 50 bucks, plenty of write ups on it. If you can do the pan and the filter you can do that as well.

http://www.grandprixforums.net/threa...ailed-Pictures
Old 12-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Default How critical

I just bought a 2008 Grand Prix GXP with 88,000 miles. Supposedly it was traded in by a middle aged women who babied it, but used car salesman week say whatever.

can I put off the cooler install until spring?
Old 02-01-2017, 12:23 AM
Teching In

any recomendations on what cooler to get? or where to put it, i have 06 impala ss that's what is stopping me from doing headers and a few other things is the transmission if i knock the temp down on it i would be comfy sticking a few more ponies into it
Old 02-23-2021, 11:52 AM
Teching In

At ~165,000 miles our GP GXP got its 4th transmission.
I installed a Triple Edge Performance HPS1, bypassed cooler in radiator with a Hayden 679 cooler.
35k and 2yrs on the transmission and it was going strong until the cooler input side clogged and caused the torque converter to blow a seal, I hope its just that, waiting to see what shop says.

Anyways now I would recommend 2 coolers running in parallel to avoid a clog.
If it is just the torque converter seal that is on the input shaft of trans
then Ill most likely be installing 2 Hayden 676s.
Trans out -> y-split -> 2 cooler inputs
2 coolers out -> y-split -> Trans return in

Will be posting in main LS4 section with updates.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Trans fluid itself isn't going to clog anything, it's fluid. The other stuff in the fluid is what is doing the clogging. The clutch material, metal, etc that has been building up. 2 coolers isn't going to help any of that unless the cooler wasn't cooling and in turn was causing the trans to eat itself.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Im pretty sure the cooler was working great before hand, as trans temp starts at ambient at would crawl up to 160, barely going above 165, even after 3 straight hours of driving, loaded to the brim for a vacation, trans only got to 175 when we hit stop n go in a city, or when we'd pass people on the highway.
I guess I should have specified, it is the wear material that clogged the cooler, I figure its normal clutch wear or Ive read about TCC material, and thats why alot of people add a couple high power magnets to the pan and on the filter.
But the thing is the fluid comes out of transmission, goes to cooler, then to pan and gets filtered before going back up inside trans,
dirty fluid comes out of trans, straight to cooler, and the cooler is a stacked plate cooler so it has smaller channels in it than a cooler that is a tube with fins attached.
The cooler needs a filter but Ive tried a Raybestos inline filter and the pressure was causing the filter to leak from where the canister halves screwed together.
If you split the one 3/8" line into 2 there would be only half the wear material going to each cooler.

Tech at Aamco tried to say there should not be ANY material coming out of transmission.... lol ok then what are the stock magnets and filters for?

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler - MUST READ