LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Dont kill me, but I have an LS1 intake swap question

Old 11-09-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont kill me, but I have an LS1 intake swap question

Alright fellas, I'm wanting to do a swap. Now, before you bite my head off I did search but there are a blue million threads referencing intake swaps but I still have a few questions.

I'm on the prowl for used LS1 intakes, so heres the question (s):

1: do I need a bare one or one that has all the egr/air stuff on it, does it matter what year it's off of?

2: What about fuel rails? Can we still use ours on the new intake? From what I found it seems we have to due to the short injectors?? Correct?

3: DT Headers, I assume the LS1 intake will also create clearance issues with the crossover pipe??

4: Keep dod or not? Is it cheaper to do the swap and try to keep dod, or buy a non-dod valley cover and scrap the unneeded stuff?

5: Is an LS1 swap easier than LS6, or just more cost effective due to the initial cost of used LS6 intakes?

Better yet, can someone make a sticky that provides basically everything you need to know before you start this swap, lol, I fear I might be getting in over my head and I havent even begun!!

For those who have actually done this, looking back would you recommend this swap or simply having fasterproms port the stock unit?

Ok, I realize that's a lot of questions, and I know they're noobish, but I'd greatly appreciate some help here. My last trip to the track has inspired me to make this little LS4 faster!

Joe.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alabamaguy could probably answer all of these questions for you.

But from what i know or think, you can use the ls4 fuel rails but you need adapters. the ls6 or ls1 fuel rail just looks better.
They will clear the headers with a TB adapter that you would have to get from Brian396 on here.
On the ls6 intake there is more stuff that you have to mod compared to the ls1 intake. Im sure someone else will chime in and correct me if im wrong on any of this.

From what i hear Alabamaguy has had amazing results from the ls1 swap and really want to do it myself.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2. You'll either need to modify the fuel rail or buy an ls1 fuel rail and injectors, I'm looking into using this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-P...Q5fAccessories
fuel rail with our injectors but I heard the o rings are different sizes
3. yes it will, you need to have an adapter made, Brian396 may be willing to make one for you
4. Its not cheaper to scrape dod
5. It is easier to do the ls1 over the ls6

I have a stage 2 ported ls4 intake; the cost to do the swap is going to be significantly more than the cost to have it ported. Fasterproms no longer does the stage 2 porting, so you'll gain more going the ls1/ls6 route than porting the ls4. I'm upgrading to the ls1 intake because my intake has become unreliable.

Last edited by Aaron_Provost; 11-09-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

It is not cheaper to scrap DoD. The only way you can use a non-DoD valley cover is to tear the heads off and replace the lifters with non-DoD lifters. Otherwise the non-DoD tray will cause the lifters to collapse.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Aaron_Provost
I'm upgrading to the ls1 intake because my intake has become unreliable.

why has it become "unreliable"?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Should be putting the intake on within the month, and will be sure to take some pictures and post what sounds like will be a simple bolt on swap with the right kit!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Launching!

I have started and done alot of work on this, just have not installed it yet. I used a LS6 intake. Notes:
We have a 4 bolt drive by wire throttle body, LS6/1 manifold uses a 3 bolt cable operated tb, I made an aluminum adaptor to mount original tb , tried to rewire a 3 bolt drive by wire tb cable, but couldn't make it work.
The LS6/1 fuel rail would be nice if it would fit, but there will be interferance with the alternator and maybe power steering. I used the LS4 fuel rail on the LS6 manifold, some guys have bent the cross pipe on the rail and ground the plastic manifold to make it fit, (the LS6/1 Manifold is taller) I choose to cut out the cross pipe and solder fittings on it and used high pressure rubber/braided push lock fuel line to make it clear the top of the manifold. You will also need to modify the mounting tabs, as they do not line up well with the LS6/1 Manifold. I soldered large fender washers to the tabs
The LS6/1 manifold has its MAP and PVC vacuum fitting on the rear of the manifold, right in the way of the power steering. I removed the MAP/vacuum fitting and plugged the hole, I epoxied a large fender washer in the hole, others have used a freeze plug. I moved the map lower ( drilled a hole lower on back of manifold and screwed in on) and made 2 vacuum fittings on the aluminum TB adaptor, one for PVC and the other for the power brake booster.
I am keeping DOD, the oil pressure sensor/tower on the stock valley cover will contact the LS6/1 TB mounting neck, Thats why the original LS4 manifold had a large D shaped restriction there. I cut the tower at 15 degrees, rotated it 180 degrees and had it welded so it is now angled 30 degrees down and clears the TB mounting neck.

Last edited by Tappeter; 11-09-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the porting has caused a vacuum leak that I can't get rid of, this leak is causing a lean condition and now the car is misfiring, this is the second stage 2 intake that has done this, this is why they don't do the stage 2 porting anymore
Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

It's probably easier to modify parts to allow the ls1 rail to fit, than it is to modify the ls4 rail to fit the ls1 manifold.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
It is not cheaper to scrap DoD. The only way you can use a non-DoD valley cover is to tear the heads off and replace the lifters with non-DoD lifters. Otherwise the non-DoD tray will cause the lifters to collapse.
so whats the fix to the valley cover if you still have DOD?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dont kill me, but I have an LS1 intake swap question