LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

New GXP, Tuning Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GXP, Tuning Problem

just picked up my 07 GXP a few days ago, I had a 06 Impala SS but my brother bought it. doing basic tuning with hp tuners. tq managment off, slightly firmer and quicker shifts, spark, blah blah.

now the car looses all power for shifting, tps cant go over 40%, car wont rev in park or neutral either?

I know its some stupid table im missing. some kind of ETC table. I checked a few times and cant find it though.

never had this on my 06 SS. if anyone could give me some help it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

maby something to do with the throttle shutting itself.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you do anything to the torque management tables?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Teching In

yes all tq managment is gone, at least I think it is. everything is either set to 0 or max. havent been able to hit past 42 percent TPS, if I ease into it I can slowly get past 42 percent. completly drops power for about 2 seconds when shifting
Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We've got two ways of controlling torque - retarding spark or closing the throttle.

Suggest you return the torque management to stock and try again. I've removed all engine torque management, and about 50% of transmission torque management out of my tune. if you want, I'll post pics of the tables.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Teching In

when I go back to stock tq managment its fine car shifts and drives normal. as soon as I take tq managment out the car literally becomes undrivable. the throttle is being held back for some reason. I have tip in dissabled,

I just cant get a good crisp shift out of it with the tq managment on.

I dont see how all the other LS4 cars have been fine with no tq managment.

thanks for the help, could you post some pics of your tables?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, here you go.

First set is for the engine torque management tables that I've played with:
New GXP, Tuning Problem-max-engine-torque.jpg
New GXP, Tuning Problem-tm-spark-tables.jpg

Oops, forgot the Throttle table:
New GXP, Tuning Problem-etc-tps-max.jpg

Here's the Transmission torque management tables.
New GXP, Tuning Problem-trans-torque-tables.jpg

Old 11-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Teching In

thanks for posting the tables. I knew something was missing. I dont have the ETC TPS Max table in my file. it just doesent show up, theres a few other differences in this pcm also. I only have positive force motor current tables.

I just compared it to a 2006 GXP file and its completly different, theres all kinds of different tables.

It looks like the 07 PCM is different. I am going to send hp tuners an email to see if they have a way to get at the unavailable tables.

I just realizes ive never tuned a 2007 LS4, only 05 and 06.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, what level do you have your HPT display set to? If not set to advanced, it may be filtering out some of the tables.

Yeah, GM did change the ECM in 2007 - depending on the model, the E40 was changed to the E36 and E67 ECMs.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Teching In

its on advanced, I have all the advanced tables just missing a few key ones. its the E67 PCM, well see what hp tuners says, thanks for the help.

I wonder if anyone else on here has tuned a 2007 with HP tuners?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Teching In

HP tuners got back to me, aperantly the ETC table was taken out of the 07 GXP, as well as a few others. like negative force motor current.

ive narrowed my problem down to my abuse mode tables, anytime I change then the car goes crazy, also if I change tq reduction to 0 the same happens but if I drop it all the way to just 1 then its ok,

never thought tuning a basic bolt on gxp would be tough
Old 11-13-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bill06ss
I wonder if anyone else on here has tuned a 2007 with HP tuners?
I do, and the OS and calibration changed a lot between 06 and 07. I haven't found anything that I couldn't do in my car that people with earlier ECMs have said they could though. The only real pain is the switch from a VE lookup table to a set of discrete second-order polynomials that define VE.

I'm using the 2.23 Beta version, and there are several tables unlocked that aren't in 2.22.

Whenever I have totroubleshoot something, I find that it is impossible to find the issue when making multiple changes. I always start with my last known working state. I then make changes one at a time until I find the change caused the issue. If no single change causes the issue, then try combonations of more than one.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Teching In

got most of it figured out, I just cant mess the abuse mode, no timing being pulled on the shifts or anything like that. 1-2 shift is getting there but still feel only about as quick as factory, even with commanded shift time of .100 and 96 line pressure above 300 pound feet, trans only has 25k on it too, It think I might need a shift kit. not trying to get crazy hard shifts, just want them quick wit good feel.

anyone know what abuse mode does to take the power out? and how would I log if it is ever engaged?