LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Hornblaster Horns Installed on Impy SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hornblaster Horns Installed on Impy SS

So i had some extra money left over and decided to beef up the horns on the car. Living near the philly area you constantly get cut off and lets admit, the stocks horns just dont do it. So I picked up a set of the Hornblaster Shocker XLs. Comes with 4 horns, tank, compressor, all lines, cables, solenoid, and fittings. Here are some pics of the install plus a short video at the end. My overall goal for this install was to go stealth as you wont know i have the horns until i blast them. A lot of ppl mount them underneath there car and you can clearly see them.

First let me say that the Impy has very limited room to install these things. This install was by far the most difficult, espcially trying to get the airline to the horns from the trunk. These horns can be installed anywhere as they are weatherproof.. I found a good spot behind the lower grill as there was plenty of room to mount three of the 4 horns. I had to customize the splash car holder to fit the third horn in place. The 4th horn is mounted downwards are its on 12 inches long compared to the 14, 16, and 19 inch horns. mounted in this picture.

This is what it looks like with the grill on. Barely can tell i have them there.

Each horn is fed by this electric solenoid that sends the air to the horns when you push the button to open it. I mounted this in the upper grill area as this has to be close to the horns. Again it is powered from the battery to a switch then to the solenoid.

I installed a pressure gauge and switch to monitor the pressure in the tank as well as turn it on and off whenever i wanted. The horns work best when the tank is filled to 150psi..

Next i installed a switch i picked up at radioshack by the glovebox. This switch controls the solenoid which makes them blast. You can bypass this by hooking it up to your horn but i didnt want to fail inspection plus i would love to see the techs face when he scares the entire bay with it.

In the next pic below is the tank, compressor, and pressure switch. I made up some cheap box to mount these. The tank is a 2 gallon tank and comes with 6 ports to hook up anything you want. They sell the attachments to fill up your tires with it. Its mounted behind my sub so its hidden when opening the trunk.

Lastly this is from the trunk and you can just see some of the tank with the airline plugging into it that goes up to the horns..

To sum it, it wasnt a easy install and took me 3 long days to do everything but once your done, man this thing gives your car some *****, I have made ppl jump out of there shoes at the bus stop and surprising got to use it on my first cutoff and man did that person get out of the way.

Here is a video of the stock horn compared to the hornblasters shocker xl. Listen to the echo. The camera doesnt do the justice on how loud these things are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anngQ4fpfLo
Old 11-20-2010, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

lol.... I still want to use buick"stock" trainhorns on my f-body...
Old 11-20-2010, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I always wanted to do that!!!!

nice man!!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-20-2010, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

actually before i went this route i was looking at picking up the buick 4 tone horns but i wanted it louder.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah man...

I always envisioned 'em being used to scare the **** out of people cutting me off or crossing the road in front of me...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-21-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have about the same set up from the same place. took them out due to how much they weigh. heres a video tho.

http://s607.photobucket.com/albums/t...=IMG_04642.mp4
Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

i want some sooo bad for my cavalier, or i want a fog horn from a cruise ship
Old 11-21-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
i have about the same set up from the same place. took them out due to how much they weigh. heres a video tho.

http://s607.photobucket.com/albums/t...=IMG_04642.mp4
Really, they felt pretty light, i think the specs say a pound each horn.. Where did you mount them?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steveman0018
Really, they felt pretty light, i think the specs say a pound each horn.. Where did you mount them?
i have the same horns as you i just have a bigger tank.... which will just let them blow longer
Old 11-21-2010, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

oh yea the tank does weight a bit.. Yea i thought a 5 gallon would be too big for my tank. I wanted to try save some trunk room. Yea i get about 5 secs if i hold the button down butmost of the time i just do a chirp. I bought the
400c compressor so it fills the tank pretty quickly.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Nice. What does something like this cost?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
Nice. What does something like this cost?
goto hornblasters.com

I am actually about to put mine up for sale
Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's badass. Just not willing to forfeit that much trunk space.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

yes, head over to hornblasters.com. They arent cheap. You can start at around 349 bucks or if you want to get a real train horn, and i mean sound like a train going down your street. your looking at anywhere from 1-2 grand for the entire kit. Here is a video of someone with a real train horn. Def cool but you got to love them a lot to put out that kind of money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNTl5...layer_embedded

As for trunk space, you will lose some space in the trunk but if you already have a sub like i do, you can just hide everything behind it.