LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

help, smoked another convertor

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, smoked another convertor

the trans just went out of my 05 gxp, tore into in and the trans was full of metal, pulled tranny out to find its coming from the convertor, car has 100k on it and trans was replaced at 30k with goodwrench reman, does anyone sell hd convertors for these things? i need a convertor that will last 200k. just dropped trans of at the shop, planned on doing transgo shift kit and sonnex input shaft repair, anything else i should have them do while they are in there? the car is the wifes dd and occasoinally i will do a burnout and street race mustangs but other that that we dont beat on it. 2 trans in 100k is terrible.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

make extra sure they clean up that tranny AND all lines (and trans-cooler if you have one, if not, get one) That crap flowed all through everything and is just waiting like a clot to kill it again.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

TEP time.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the most common cause of trans problems on these cars. Thing is, it's not that the converter is weak, it's because there's an over-pressure situation occuring due the OEM converter relief valve bleeding off at a much higher pressure than the TCC can reliably handle.

Get the Sonnax converter relief valve from Dave @ TEP. You shouldn't have that problem. You may also want to talk to Dave about getting your valve body done, as it really improves the reliability and feel of the trams.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:00 PM

i was told that from a shop that builds convertors, they also said that there is a sonnex kit to upgrade the convertors as well, it just came out a couple weeks go, have you guys heard anything about that yet?