LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

People with metal catch cans...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People with metal catch cans...

I was doing a little maintence on the car today and decided to empty the catch can. I noticed the oil in the catch can looked very cloudy so I check the oil on the dipstick and it looked like it normally does. So I came to the conclusion that with all the cold weather here in New England and then it becoming a little warmer there was condensation in the metal catch can. My guess is that condensation mixed with the little oil that does get in there. I do not think it will cause a problem. Anyone else ever notice this?

The weather here last week was in the teens and twentys and last night it was 46 degrees and it is 40 degrees now and rainy. It has been getting warmer a little bit more each day.

So any other conclusions?

-Mike
Old 12-12-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Which can are you using
Old 12-12-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

What is the advantage of a catch can?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it will look very cloudy with a mix of condensation and oil. Shouldn't need to worry.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mels SS
What is the advantage of a catch can?
from what i understand, it sucks out the oil that builds up in the intake rather than letting it get sucked back down into the motor ...

something that i really need ... as i seem to be burning about 1 quart every 1.5-2k miles ...

to the op- as far as it being cloudy, different like that, you could let it sit in a room temperature area, then just siphon off the water when it separates out, dump it back in
Old 12-13-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Chocolate milk is A-Okay. It means the catch is doing its job. I had to empty mine the other day, damn little thing fills fast.

Our PCV system sucks so a catch can helps keep you from burning oil and now helps get rid of condensation too. I still burn oil though!

I went cheap on my "can" mine is an air compressor water seperator available at HD. I will be upgrading a regular can though because it fills too fast.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have this exact can. I didn't think there would be anything to worry about. Thanks for confirming that Supercat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROM...item4aa4e8b2d2

-Mike