Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Park ave. fan
What the **** is up with GM? I just went through hell with a blown headgasket on a turdstar in my (no longer owned by me)deville. I found a 2008 lacrosse super with a small block and I thought "good, a real engine", but now I see it will be burning out its tranny soon! Great!!

What a ******* shame, Gm used to build bullet proof drivetrains.

Oh well.....

Anyway, I have 33600 miles on my super and so far(knocking on wood) its doing fine. After reading the horrors of this thread, I WILL be buying the GM extended warrenty before the factory one runs out!!
Congrats on the purchase...Trans problems or no, the Super is a sweet (and rare) ride.

I think GM will only offer extended warranties up to 100k miles. Since your car is a 2008, you're still going to have 1 or 2 years left on your factory warranty, depending on the purchase date.

Keep in mind that, GM has not improved this transmission at all, so if you do have problems and they replace it with a SERTA unit, you'll likely be in the same boat at some point in the future. Now, $1500 to $2000 will buy you an upgraded trans from an aftermarket vendor and will be trouble-free. You may want to consider going that route when the time comes, rather than paying a similar amount for a warranty. I know the warranty will cover other things, too, but the big (and most costly) worry is the trans.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Congrats on the purchase...Trans problems or no, the Super is a sweet (and rare) ride.

I think GM will only offer extended warranties up to 100k miles. Since your car is a 2008, you're still going to have 1 or 2 years left on your factory warranty, depending on the purchase date.

Keep in mind that, GM has not improved this transmission at all, so if you do have problems and they replace it with a SERTA unit, you'll likely be in the same boat at some point in the future. Now, $1500 to $2000 will buy you an upgraded trans from an aftermarket vendor and will be trouble-free. You may want to consider going that route when the time comes, rather than paying a similar amount for a warranty. I know the warranty will cover other things, too, but the big (and most costly) worry is the trans.
I agree with you the whole way, I read the entire thread and will be budgeting for a TEC tranny and will have it ready to install WHEN the stock tranny ***** the bed. Its the only move that makes sence. What the hell is 2 grand for a rare car like this! I am still going to extend the warrenty beyond the factory one too, just because this is a very rare car and want to take the very best care of her that I can. In fact, other than the improved tranny, I wont be making any mods at all, and will keep it all GM.

Great info here and thank you very much with keeping it all current!!

fantastic web site you have here!

PS. The fluid in the stock tranny looks brand new. I have a service print out from the stealer who sold it. The oringinal owner took it back the them for everything, even oil changes. The door locks (all four) and the drivers door handle have been replaced, the sunroof motor replaced, but the tranny fluid has never been changed. I have a appointment with him already for a bad washer fluid pump and will have him change the tranny fluid while he's at it. What the hell, cant hurt, right? Also talked with him about extending the warrenty beyond 100'000 miles and he said no problem, due to all service being done with him till this point. Didnt talk numbers yet, said we'd do that when I bring it in for service.

I might ask him too, if he would be willing to cover the labour, I will provide a tranny (when the stock one breaks)to put it in. I will let you all know what he says.

Last edited by Park ave. fan; 12-23-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 PM

Default Damn Bastards

Hey I just picked up a 07 GXP earlier this month and my trans is having issues already it has 107k on it but i was smart to get a 3/36k warranty on the damn thing
i traded in a 01 grand prix with the n/a 3800 in it and it had 232k on it when i traded it in and it was just starting to display trans problems
now i have never driven my cars lightly but i would think it should hold up to factory
Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dougs07GXP
Hey I just picked up a 07 GXP earlier this month and my trans is having issues already it has 107k on it but i was smart to get a 3/36k warranty on the damn thing
i traded in a 01 grand prix with the n/a 3800 in it and it had 232k on it when i traded it in and it was just starting to display trans problems
now i have never driven my cars lightly but i would think it should hold up to factory
Welcome to the board! Added you to the list...

What kind of issues are you seeing?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Having slamming into first after sitting at light and bucking going down the highway I'm afraid to play too hard in it yet
Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Having slamming into first after sitting at light and bucking going down the highway I'm afraid to play too hard in it yet
That's probably the internal seals leaking. Sounds like it's rebuild time.

We've heard the same thing over and over when people buy these cars.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM

My tranny guy is looking into it now since he has rode with me and is surprised that the check engine light doesn't come on and there is no stored codes
Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

My tranny guy is looking into it now since he has rode with me and is surprised that the check engine light doesn't come on and there is no stored codes
That particular issue doesn't usually set a code, which is why a lot of people have trouble getting it diagnosed by a dealer if it is only intermittent.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

Usually tranny issues will not trigger a check engine light even if there is a code in there. Mine threw a few codes before my rebuild (can't remeber the code), and I had to use my Solus and go into the transmission sectre to view/clear the code. Once I did that the hard shifting (due to a max line pressure fail safe) went away and it drove somewhat normal.

Have your tranny look at non-enging codes in the TCM module, that may give you some more info. If your trq converter is slipping more than 80rpm over a period of time it will throw a code, 50rpm or less is the tolerance for trq converter slip.

I would take the car out and use live stats to diagose the problems before I went any futher, look at trq slip and the lockup characteristics.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

News Update!

It was exactly one year ago today that this thread was started. None of us had any idea what we would learn by documenting these trans problems, or that the thread would have upwards of 370 posts and nearly 25,000 hits in the first 12 months.

When we started the thread, I had counted 84 separate cars in pre-January 2011 postings. As of today, we've documented an additional 103 problem cars for a grand total of 187. The additional 103 cars in the last year works out to just about one problem reported every three-and-a-half days. And this is only the folks who happen onto or are members of this site. Without knowing the total LS4 population on this board, it's hard to come up with a failure rate, but I'm guessing that we're looking at roughly 50% by 70,000 miles.

Anyway, I just wanted to mark the anniversary of this thread and to reiterate my commitment to maintaining it into the foreseeable future.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Angry mines goin out too

I just bought the thing and have around 400 miles since purchase. We didnt notice any probs when we test drove it. now as of today, I am noticing TC lockup issues going up a incline at highway speeds. the car has 54k on it. pisses me off.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ryans06gxp
I just bought the thing and have around 400 miles since purchase. We didnt notice any probs when we test drove it. now as of today, I am noticing TC lockup issues going up a incline at highway speeds. the car has 54k on it. pisses me off.
Sorry to hear this. You're not the first person to buy one with a trans problem, since in the early stages, the issues are intermittent.

Added you to the list.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

I'm curious if failures are more prevalent in certain years and if there is a difference between TapShift & non? Anyone have the breakdown ?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by x11 nut
I'm curious if failures are more prevalent in certain years and if there is a difference between TapShift & non? Anyone have the breakdown ?
All years have the problem, though it seems like fewer 2009's are reported, which is most likely due to the fact that very 2009 LS4 cars were produced.

Even though the TAP cars seem to run slightly higher trans temps, they seem to be no more or less likely to experience problems. In other words, no model is better than another in this regard.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
News Update!

It was exactly one year ago today that this thread was started. None of us had any idea what we would learn by documenting these trans problems, or that the thread would have upwards of 370 posts and nearly 25,000 hits in the first 12 months.

When we started the thread, I had counted 84 separate cars in pre-January 2011 postings. As of today, we've documented an additional 103 problem cars for a grand total of 187. The additional 103 cars in the last year works out to just about one problem reported every three-and-a-half days. And this is only the folks who happen onto or are members of this site. Without knowing the total LS4 population on this board, it's hard to come up with a failure rate, but I'm guessing that we're looking at roughly 50% by 70,000 miles.

Anyway, I just wanted to mark the anniversary of this thread and to reiterate my commitment to maintaining it into the foreseeable future.
Im a little late but happy anniversary on the post.. hahaha..with that being said u add my name to list of 300+ having transmission trouble as well. Im most likely guna have to rebuild my trans still havent made my mind up on whether to buy a Transmission from GM or just rebuild my own and add some goodies to it
Old 01-09-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06chevyimpss
Im a little late but happy anniversary on the post.. hahaha..with that being said u add my name to list of 300+ having transmission trouble as well. Im most likely guna have to rebuild my trans still havent made my mind up on whether to buy a Transmission from GM or just rebuild my own and add some goodies to it
Added you to the list.

If you get a trans from GM, it's likely you'll have problems again. If you rebuild it yourself, which I recommend, contact Dave @ Triple Edge Performance for some guidance on parts and mods.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Teching In

I have the slipping issue going on with my transmission also starting around 53,000. I now have 58,000 on it now.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Ls1 you can now move me to the other list
was driving today and acctually wasnt playing and pulled up to aa stop light and found out i had lost first gear so i had to limp it across town to the dealership and my guy looked at it and thinks the torque converter basically imploded and when it crapped out it took out first with it good thing i got the extended warranty with the car except that it will be used up with this repair
they better fix it fast they shoved me into a town and country for a loaner ugh
Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Teching In

I too had an interesting thing happen to me at a stop light today. The trans has been displaying some odd things and today I go to push on the go pedal and nothing then all of a sudden it jerked into gear and was fine after that. Scared to drive it very far. This is disgusting. 57,548
Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mikee21089
I have the slipping issue going on with my transmission also starting around 53,000. I now have 58,000 on it now.
Added you to the list.

Ls1 you can now move me to the other list
was driving today and acctually wasnt playing and pulled up to aa stop light and found out i had lost first gear so i had to limp it across town to the dealership and my guy looked at it and thinks the torque converter basically imploded and when it crapped out it took out first with it good thing i got the extended warranty with the car except that it will be used up with this repair
they better fix it fast they shoved me into a town and country for a loaner ugh
Done!

Quick Reply: LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside