LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

CAM and DOD

Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAM and DOD

This question hasnt really been answered straight foward....so ill ask again for clarification.

Im pretty sure the 2008 LS4 cars are a single bolt cam...?

I know they have VVT along with the DOD....

Im going the route of just turning off DOD as it is now in my tune, and just throwing a single bolt custom rear mount turbo LSR cam grind...

Im wanting to keep the factory lifters because some research has indicated that hey are maintaining integrity up to the higher rpms...and enough guys now have ran double springs on the factory lifters and been fine as long as they werent going up to the 7k mark in rpms...then some of those individuals were throwing those lifters....

So, trying to see if i can just literally pop a custom grind cam in with DOD turned off and throw the pushrods and some double springs on and call it a day....

I wanna keep VVT as well if at all possible...

So let me know...
Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think the LS4 has VVT.

It can be retrofitted into the '07+ LS4s due to the 58x/4x reluctor/cam though.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

well after a little more research...it appears that the LS4 isnt a VVT motor...GXP 25 good lookn out man!

Well...then no issue with just a regular old swap for the cam then I would say...just upgrade springs and push rods....with the DOD turned off the lifters are constant and not actuating....wonder about the oil pump though? I know a lot of guys change that only to accommodate the LS7 style lifters cause they wont handle the extra PSI of our pumps since they are set up for DOD/AFM....

any clarity on this as well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAM and DOD