LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

2006 GXP naturally aspirated build

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GXP naturally aspirated build

Well as the title said I'm exactly t minus one month to starting my engine build, would be sooner but couldn't get a few days off work until feb. At any rate since the majority of the parts that are going in the car were bought from members on here,I felt it would be fun to let them and the rest of you get to see the build step by step. So lets get to it...

Whats Gettin Done:
1.8 Yella Terra Rockers
Ls7 springs (thanks DavidGXP)
Intense Pushrods
Doug Thorley Heads, 1st group buy edition (thanks TiredGXP)
Flex pipe Fix for heads (thanks williamGT)
Fasterproms ported LS4 Intake Manifold (thanks 707chance)
Don's STB's and Brackets (thanks RedHotG8)
Re-Dyno Tuned by Vector Motor Sports

What's Already In:
Magaflow Cat-Back Exhaust
Cold Air Inductions CAI
Hogan DP w/Hi-Flo Cat.(will be coming off and be for sale soon)

Now The reason I started this thread so early other then to tease is to ask if a few misc. parts are necessary for this build. First off I'm on the fence about new valve spring retainers and valve locks to match the new valve train. Are these good ideas to ensure the longevity of my build or a waste of money? And secondly I know Thorley has said the stock gaskets will be fine with the headers, but I was thinking that they might leak, (due to damage when pulling them off) so I was again thinking of just getting new ones to put on. Smart or wasteful? Any input is much appreciated.

I will update with my progress on the build In Feb. using this thread. Thanks again for all those who helped me out and to the rest of you I hope this will be as enjoyable to you as it will be for me.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

just reuse the stock manifold gaskets, they wont leak unless you damage them somehow.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes get new valve springs in there. Prefferable PAC there are many vendors here that sell them at a great price.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

he asked about retainers and locks, possibly dibs on the DP depending on price, i can just come down and get it so no shipping
Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a good plan, I would swap in an LS6 intake and larger maf if it were me though.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

No reason you shouldn' see 13.30-40s out of that setup with good traction!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
he asked about retainers and locks, possibly dibs on the DP depending on price, i can just come down and get it so no shipping
PM me and we'll talk specifics, I be more then willing to meet you half way as well.

Thanks guys for all the responses and keep them coming
Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JDMC5
sounds like a good plan, I would swap in an LS6 intake and larger maf if it were me though.
ya that idea did cross my mind especially with all the threads on here lately discussing those type of setups. But I wanted to go this route first, if I don't like the power numbers I suppose I can always just swap put the MAF and Intake. That prob. won't be till after I get trans work done though. I mean I am still on my off the line factory trans with just the vector tune and a Hayden cooler on it. If these cars break under stock power, I'm sure with this added power I'm making, it will only be a matter of time before I start having issues. Oh well though.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default mods

I would suggest adding a shift kit, dogbone and polymount to your build
Old 01-06-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
No reason you shouldn' see 13.30-40s out of that setup with good traction!
i think better then that! i got a 13.6 a bunch of times out of my monte with just cai, mufflers, tune, and shift kit.

D J Real, where in clinton twp are you? i live at hall and romeo just north of hall road
Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kissmyss03
i think better then that! i got a 13.6 a bunch of times out of my monte with just cai, mufflers, tune, and shift kit.

D J Real, where in clinton twp are you? i live at hall and romeo just north of hall road
Yes I am hoping for better results as well, My goal is to break 300hp/320tq at the wheels on Vectors' Mustang Dyno. My previous run on it (Downpipe/CAI/Exhaust/Tune) maxed me out at 269hp/275tq. Dunno what my goal numbers would put down on a track though hopefully low 13's?

And to answer you question I live off Garfield between Moravian and 15 Mile. So That would put me a little south east of ya. I operate a car wash near by my house (16 and Garfield) your welcome for a good sudsin anytime.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 PM

I dont know how much of a stretch this is but have you considered having your heads ported/polished? I saw a range of 200-600 bucks to have them ported. I've read about doing it myself but I need practice. I may sacrifice the heads from my el camino lol.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KB06GXP
I dont know how much of a stretch this is but have you considered having your heads ported/polished? I saw a range of 200-600 bucks to have them ported. I've read about doing it myself but I need practice. I may sacrifice the heads from my el camino lol.
No never have, IMHO it will flow just fine with out having them ported. My setup is going to have a straight pipe connected the heads that runs to the cat back (Therefore no cat.). If i port I worry about not creating enough back pressure. Not to mention I really don't want to sacrifice a perfectly good pair of thorleys for an experiment. It already kinda is killing me that I have to cut them for the flexpipe.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
Haha guess I didnt do too good of a job reading that.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by D J Real
Yes I am hoping for better results as well, My goal is to break 300hp/320tq at the wheels on Vectors' Mustang Dyno. My previous run on it (Downpipe/CAI/Exhaust/Tune) maxed me out at 269hp/275tq. Dunno what my goal numbers would put down on a track though hopefully low 13's?

And to answer you question I live off Garfield between Moravian and 15 Mile. So That would put me a little south east of ya. I operate a car wash near by my house (16 and Garfield) your welcome for a good sudsin anytime.
Catless DP, full 3" mandrel bends, CAI, Headers, and a tune put me at 13.45 and that made 280/300 on a dynacom. Rockers and ported LS4 are going to pick up a bit, you may very well see those numbers.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Catless DP, full 3" mandrel bends, CAI, Headers, and a tune put me at 13.45 and that made 280/300 on a dynacom. Rockers and ported LS4 are going to pick up a bit, you may very well see those numbers.
Man I sure hope so... After all my goal is to one day to be able your run your monte down
Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Man I sure hope so... After all my goal is to one day to be able your run your monte down
Somebody needs to. After all, we're just a bunch of hillbillies
Old 01-07-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, you should be able to hit those numbers.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

No never have, IMHO it will flow just fine with out having them ported. My setup is going to have a straight pipe connected the heads that runs to the cat back (Therefore no cat.). If i port I worry about not creating enough back pressure. Not to mention I really don't want to sacrifice a perfectly good pair of thorleys for an experiment. It already kinda is killing me that I have to cut them for the flexpipe.
Ok, I think your talking about headers and he's talking about heads. The heads are what the headers bolt up to.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 PM

I wasnt sure if Thorley made heads too and didnt wanna look stupid lol. Look up "porting heads at home" to find out more information. It looks well worth it if your heads are off or easy to take off. If a shop does it you know it'll be done right and you might get them to do the cutback on the valves as well. All little things that help imo.