LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Debating on future of GXP

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Debating on future of GXP

I am at a point now where I am debating whether to put a larger principle payment down on my car loan (so I can pay off the GXP in about a year) or debating whether to take my money to the dealership and get into something else knowing that either way I am upside down on the car.

I guess I am debating whether it is worth having a car with know maintenance issues and high fuel cost that is paid off, or getting into a new elantra or equivalent economy car with a new warranty and 30/40 MPG on regular unleaded.

What do you guys think? Of course it all depends on the numbers but I think I could get an okay price on trade right now and quite frankly, I don't think that I would ever be able to sell it.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
I am at a point now where I am debating whether to put a larger principle payment down on my car loan (so I can pay off the GXP in about a year) or debating whether to take my money to the dealership and get into something else knowing that either way I am upside down on the car.

I guess I am debating whether it is worth having a car with know maintenance issues and high fuel cost that is paid off, or getting into a new elantra or equivalent economy car with a new warranty and 30/40 MPG on regular unleaded.

What do you guys think? Of course it all depends on the numbers but I think I could get an okay price on trade right now and quite frankly, I don't think that I would ever be able to sell it.
Chevy Cruze. You can get the 1.4 liter turbo that will definitely have a future aftermarket. Just wait a few months for the 6-speed manual to come out.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Buick Regal
Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I test drove the turbo buick regal. Cxl? It was nice but doesn't hold a candle to the ls4. For $31k I thought it was just slighly over priced. Beautiful interior though. I haven't checked out a cruze yet.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

keep the gxp and do the things you need to keep the smiles going and get a beater their is alot of things out there for cheap that get great mpg i just bought an sonoma 4cyl 5spd avg mpg 26
Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

going to the dealership tomorro to see what my options are .
Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
going to the dealership tomorro to see what my options are .
What are you leaning towards?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
What are you leaning towards?
TBSS, silverado SS, or a duramax.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

TBSS, silverado SS, or a duramax.
Cool! Looking forward to hearing about/seeing what you come home with.

Just a word of caution, though. If you go Duramax, be careful about jacking up the boost with an aftermarket tuner. Apparently, the motor can handle it with no problem, but the transmissions can't.

The guy that installed the TEP stuff in my trans ALWAYS those Allison 6-speeds in his shop, and it's always because the owner used a handheld tuner to add 150 HP, which exceeds what the trans can handle.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Launching!

I went to three different dealers three different times with money in hand ready to trade it.
Just tired with the continuing issues. And I have GM Major Guard extended warranty so not much cost on the repairs. just having to go to the dealer all the time.

On a good note the tranny is stil holding, but everything else is not LOL.

Looked at Toyota Highlander, Ford Edge, F150 XLT Four Door.
Well each time my wife was able to talk me out of it LOL.
Why cuz she wanted the car so I gave it to her under the condition she does not complain about all the parts I am going to buy for my truck to make it a reliable dd and ORV LOL.

So we are keeping the car til the warranties run out. then something new more family orriented.
As a toy I am looking into what I should have gotten instead of this car 3rd or 4th gen Monte Carlo.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Cool! Looking forward to hearing about/seeing what you come home with.

Just a word of caution, though. If you go Duramax, be careful about jacking up the boost with an aftermarket tuner. Apparently, the motor can handle it with no problem, but the transmissions can't.

The guy that installed the TEP stuff in my trans ALWAYS those Allison 6-speeds in his shop, and it's always because the owner used a handheld tuner to add 150 HP, which exceeds what the trans can handle.
most likely wont be coming home with anything. just gonna see what they can get me. my mom has known the sales manager since she was in preschool so he gives us the best deals and usually gives us the highest trade in $. i got my gxp for $14k and they had it on the lot for $17,500
Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

most likely wont be coming home with anything. just gonna see what they can get me. my mom has known the sales manager since she was in preschool so he gives us the best deals and usually gives us the highest trade in $. i got my gxp for $14k and they had it on the lot for $17,500
Sweet!! You gonna let us all vote on the choices?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My options are less exciting. Debating an new elantra, lancer, fiesta, cruze, or maybe sonata. Unfortunately, fuel economy and operating cost have to be a priority since my commute to school will increase and frequent trips to SC for my son. I am not excited about whatever I end up getting into but for the time being, I have to be slightly more responsible.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a G8 GT, it's the best car I have ever owned.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
My options are less exciting. Debating an new elantra, lancer, fiesta, cruze, or maybe sonata. Unfortunately, fuel economy and operating cost have to be a priority since my commute to school will increase and frequent trips to SC for my son. I am not excited about whatever I end up getting into but for the time being, I have to be slightly more responsible.
Just keep your GXP and get you a beater civic or something. I've always hated my girls civic so I bought her a Malibu SS and kept her civic and now I love the little bastard!!! You can't beat a car that gets 30mpg with a 50/50 city/highway mix. My civic isn't pretty but it does the trick.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Mustang 5.0. huge support, fast as chuck and will hold its value. Super high tech too!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
Just keep your GXP and get you a beater civic or something. I've always hated my girls civic so I bought her a Malibu SS and kept her civic and now I love the little bastard!!! You can't beat a car that gets 30mpg with a 50/50 city/highway mix. My civic isn't pretty but it does the trick.
I feel you. I guess I would be more willing to do that if I had more of an attachment to the GXP. Frankly, I am tired of it (and paying for it) and it really won't ever be the car I want it to be. I just need something economical for the near future. Once I graduate, then I can get after something more inline with my "dream car". Like a corvette or something.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Get a G8 GT, it's the best car I have ever owned.
I would definitely go this route if I did not need a SUV or truck more.... While the 4 doors are GREAT, I need something that I can occasionally take off road to hunt and fish in and to put the dog in (I don't let her ride in the monte).... This is why I am waiting to buy a TBSS, Cherokee SRT8, or a new Silverado SS when they come out (possibly used as well).....
Old 02-04-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Hynudai's have come a long way.

Go take a look at the Nissan Juke. 27/32mpg and you can still have fun - and be responsible. Also have an available 6-speed manual. I work at a Nissan dealer, and PDI'd a few. And they're suprisinly fun to drive, and feel much quicker than they are. The cars you're looking at are definitely responsible, but not fun unless you spring for the Sonata 2.0L Turbo - but will cost you 27-30k.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
The Hynudai's have come a long way.

Go take a look at the Nissan Juke. 27/32mpg and you can still have fun - and be responsible. Also have an available 6-speed manual. I work at a Nissan dealer, and PDI'd a few. And they're suprisinly fun to drive, and feel much quicker than they are. The cars you're looking at are definitely responsible, but not fun unless you spring for the Sonata 2.0L Turbo - but will cost you 27-30k.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out.