LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Sort of on topic

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sort of on topic

Hey guys, was curious if anyone could point me to some basic info on thing's like suspension/tire/exhaust information for these vehicles. I lost my Z28 back in November to a tie rod that gave out while driving, and now own an Oldsmobile intrigue. Being that it is a W-body with the 4t-65, Most thing's should remain constant between it and the LS4 front drive's which are also w-bodies.

My only regret at this point is the lack of an aftermarket for the 3.5 shortstar engine, and with that the apparent lack of an aftermarket for the northstar engine which it is based. I don't want a neck snapper like my Z, but going from a near 13 second car to a 16 second car is like getting put on life support. Needs a little breath of life if I can afford it.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Short Star is a good engine, with good power output for its design.

That being said, there really isn't much you can do to make the car faster.

You could look into these parts/upgrades:

- Flip Upper Motor Mount/Replace mount with Poly Bushing

- Custom/Aftermarket Exhaust (Not sure if there is aftermarket support)

- Fenderwell Intake

- Turbo?

- 3800 Swap
Old 02-04-2011, 03:23 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

I have no idea if you can plug another forum or not, however check out www.w-body.com/forum.php . I believe the guy over there IronDog442 knew quite a lot about the shortstar; however last I checked he was banned from the forum for a reason I don't know.

The LX5 didn't last long, only two or three years. I know it was more powerful than the LQ1, but also uses more fuel. There is zero aftermarket for the car. Pound for pound, the LX5 is about 10hp higher and maybe 5lb/ft of torque higher than the 3800 L36.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always wanted a Shortstar-powered Intrigue. Looked like a mini Aurora, but without all of the problems!

In the late 90's - early 00's, this was the best American midsizer on the market, and it was every bit as good as the stuff from Ricerland, too.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guy's, I've found a couple of exhaust's for the Grand Prix/Regal/Impala that should work with a little bit of fab work. I'm really curious if the CAI I've found from Thrasher/SLP will work since the fenderwell design is exactly the same on the w-bod's. Beyond that I think it will be porting head's/TB, and custom cam's. I unfortunately didn't even begin to scratch the surface of what I wanted to do with my Z, and probably won't with this car either unless I have it after I get my degree. Oh well I'll start with the suspension, that'll be the easiest. Oh I have found that the LS1 Camaro's brake system is an upgrade for w-bod's, so I will get to hold on to a small part of my old car once I upgrade that.

Would love to find header's for a quick boost after the cai and tuner.

Last edited by kain01; 02-04-2011 at 10:29 PM.