LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Rebuild

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum. I have looked through all the post. I have owned a monte ss 1984 royal blue, 1999 monte z34 with a rebuild tranny at 130,000 and sold with 210,000 engine and tranny running strong. I just bought a monte carlo ss 2006 and love it. A month after driving I was coming up to a stop sign going about 25 and gave it some gas and when it was shifting it made a sound kind of like a damp hand running across leather. I was like **** I just bought this car. After researching this site I see everybody is having this problem. I am lucky I have some cash for rec use saved. I am thinking of having it scanned first to see if it is a thing they can reprogram but am not to hopeful. ZZ Performance is only about 45 minutes away and they do the same type of rebuilds that TEP does. They do not have the torque converters in stock so I talked to Dave at TEP and he is a really kick *** guy. He gave me some tips that in the future saved me from spending a lot of extra cash on my tranny. He recommended the Gemini dual chain for my car. I am looking at mods that would bring the HP up to 350-400. He recommended that I upgrade the input shaft. He also recommended that I use the stock torque converter. I have email in to him asking if I should put a remand in the trans with the rebuild as ZZ P does not replace it and does not have them in stock. I was thinking I should just to be safe. Below is are the things that ZZ Performance will do for the rebuild process.

All new Raybestos clutches
New solenoids as needed
New filter
New sleeves, bushings, bearings and seals
New bands
New Borg Warner HV-093 chains
Upgraded input speed reluctor wheel
New valve body on shipped transmissions
Differential gears and pinion shaft checked for wear
Damaged or worn parts are replaced (bad differentials, or damage to the casing will be billed separately)
Custom shift kit
Forward bands replaced with high energy green bands
Externally adjustable line pressure (ZZP exclusive!)
Hardened 4th clutch shaft
Steel channel plate gasket
Upgraded TCC apply valve
Differential squirter (ZZP exclusive!)
GM DEXRON VI transmission fluid
Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the club.

Do they (ZZP) use a Sonnax converter relief valve? How about the upgraded longer-than-stock seals?

After the advice they gave you about the trans cooler, as well as the problems I've read about with their shift kits, I'd stay away from anything ZZP does in the way of trannys. I know they're close to you, and that's very convenient, but I would strongly suggest talking to Dave @ TEP again.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

I have always heard mixed things on the Trans Cooler topic. I think it is always a good idea IMO.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

I agree with LS1racing on this..... When my tranny meets its demise, I will only allow one man to touch my tranny and that is Dave at TEP. He really has to good of a reputation on here and I have not heard of one person who has used his services say a bad comment about him. With that said, I would seriously reconsider your choices. A tranny is something that you do not just want anybody to fool around with. My brother is having that same problem with his Explorer. He took it to a shop because it was convenient and the guy gave him an estimate that was $400 less than everyone else. The guy has done nothing but give him the run around when it comes to fixing it and his tranny is still fucked up. Don't let this happen to you!!!!! Go with a reputable guy and you will not have to deal with problems like this!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Hi guys. I have been talking to Dave at TEP and I am going to have him rebuild my transmission later in the month. I have opted for the upgraded input shaft and to have him change the gear ratio to 3.29:1. Once I have it completed I will let you know how she drives. I can't wait.

Dave also stated that his prices will be going up in the near future a little bit but I was able to lock in the his current rate with a deposit.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nat120
Hi guys. I have been talking to Dave at TEP and I am going to have him rebuild my transmission later in the month. I have opted for the upgraded input shaft and to have him change the gear ratio to 3.29:1. Once I have it completed I will let you know how she drives. I can't wait.

Dave also stated that his prices will be going up in the near future a little bit but I was able to lock in the his current rate with a deposit.
You won't regret it.

And there's no better guy in the business, either. Dave is an asset to the LS4 community.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

I will be doing the same, but the more I think about it, I want the 3.69 gears.....
Old 03-03-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

question for the trans lines can you remove the clip fittings im assuming they are just 1/4 in threads underneath of the fitting so i can just use all braided stainless lines for a trans cooler,

thats the gear thats in the gxp correct?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
thats the gear thats in the gxp correct?
The GXP has 2.93 gears stock.