LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Cold Air Intake Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake Question?

Hey i know that most if not all of the impala and monte carlo owners are running cold air intakes. But the question i have is what is a better cold air intake to go with, K&N, Cold Air Inductions, or the ones ebay have for under 100 bucks. Im looking to install one but i would like some feed back on which one iss a great buy and a good product.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Launching!

In order of quality:

1. CAI
2. K&N
3. Ebay

The Cold Air Inductions box completely seals the cone away from the heat of the engine bay; and the intake arm is not plastic like the K&N

The K&N is an open box, all plastic, and arguably somewhat more prone to heat soak than the CAI

Ebays are junk IMO they are not even true cold air intakes because they do not seal off the cone from the heat of the engine bay. You'd get the same result from removing the stock airbox and putting a cone on the end of the intake arm.

As a fourth option, you can make a home-made intake from parts from home depot, although generally there is no data to back up any results of a home made system.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Default Make your own

It's not hard at all to make your own CAI. Some aluminum, lexan, hardware, a cone filter and silicon elbow. I used matte board and masking tape to make a template, transferred the pattern to sheet aluminum, some bending and pop rivets and a little patience is all it took. This is my third home made CAI, I made one for my 2001 SS, 2005 GTP and now my 07 SS.
Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Intake Question?-monteengine1.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cully77
In order of quality:

1. CAI
2. K&N
3. Ebay

The Cold Air Inductions box completely seals the cone away from the heat of the engine bay; and the intake arm is not plastic like the K&N

The K&N is an open box, all plastic, and arguably somewhat more prone to heat soak than the CAI

Ebays are junk IMO they are not even true cold air intakes because they do not seal off the cone from the heat of the engine bay. You'd get the same result from removing the stock airbox and putting a cone on the end of the intake arm.

As a fourth option, you can make a home-made intake from parts from home depot, although generally there is no data to back up any results of a home made system.
ill agree with cully on that one ... the CAI intake is awesome ... worth every penny - but tappeter's seems to accomplish the same thing, so i guess if you have the ability and resources- thats the way to go ...

hey cully, we going to go to a car show when it gets warmer ?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

I made a true fenderwell. The tube actually stays cool to the touch which is super nice. I love it.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
I made a true fenderwell. The tube actually stays cool to the touch which is super nice. I love it.
is there enough room between where the computer mounts, the fender and where the headlight sits without having to modify anything or did you just sneak it through all that ?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrJesus616
ill agree with cully on that one ... the CAI intake is awesome ... worth every penny - but tappeter's seems to accomplish the same thing, so i guess if you have the ability and resources- thats the way to go ...

hey cully, we going to go to a car show when it gets warmer ?
Absolutely! I'll PM you my cell.

And another advantage of the CAI is that it mates to a certain aftermarket hood
Old 04-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

Cai ftw

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Question?