LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GXP Trailer Hitch

Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GXP Trailer Hitch

Does anybody have a trailer hitch on their GXP? What are you pulling? Think I'll be alright pulling a 500 lb bike and 300lb trailer with a stock trans? Oh and where'd you get the hitch from? Thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

I have one, max is 1000 lbs and I would stay under that for sure.

Car pulls great, but you are going to eat at the trans some. A cooler would be a great addition. I bought my hitch on line and installed it myself. I think it is made my Curt.

Wiring the lights in wasn't bad, just grab off the taillight.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gixper
Does anybody have a trailer hitch on their GXP? What are you pulling? Think I'll be alright pulling a 500 lb bike and 300lb trailer with a stock trans? Oh and where'd you get the hitch from? Thanks
if you put a trailer hitch on your car i will disown you
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
if you put a trailer hitch on your car i will disown you
agreed
Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Stock trans?? Good luck with that......they have problems pulling just our damn cars
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

It says in the manual the car "could" tow up to 1,000 lbs.

But IMHO, I wouldn't try it at all, it's not the power it's the trans. If you want to pull something that's 800 lbs, I'd get a truck. The car has difficulty managing 4 passengers and a fully loaded trunk on this trans unfortunately. The v-8 is awesome, GM just fucked up when they attached the "HD" version of the tranny that's found in the GTP's.

Honestly it's standard GM penny pinching from the 2000's, where instead of developing a good 5 or 6 speed auto tranny, they just went with what they had, to keep their overhead and R&D costs down. Sucks, but whatever.

So again, I'd rent a U-haul, or Penske truck....or find a friend with a F-150/250 and tow it with that lol
Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree. when i have my car loaded with people my trans gets jerky every now and then
Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

I have a 250 lb trailer that I use for Lumber Yard and Home Depot runs... Along with moving the occasional bulky object. Works great. Most trips are short, but I do make the 40 minute drive to IKEA on occasion.

For the heavy loads I grab my brother's FJ and hitch the trailer up to that. The trailer will take 1100 lbs so 1350 total weight which is way above the GXPs rating.

I also use my trailer hitch for a bike rack, then nothing touches the paint on the car and I believe to be more secure than the trunk mount style.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

I really dont care to put a hitch on my car...but buying another vehicle is out of the question....I've already got 3 + a bike.

The only vehicle that I have that can pull my bike right now is the GP; The Grand Am definately can't, the Skylark is months from being finished. I just need something to pull my bike back and forth from the track. I HATE riding my bike all the way to the track and I ESPECIALLY HATE riding back. Plus if something goes on the bike while racing I'm stuck there waiting for someone to haul it back to the house for me. I figure a little 4x6 trailer + the bike cant weigh more than 700-800 lbs. That's about the equivelant of a car full of passengers.

And I kinda think it would look awesome pulling the 14 around with the GP.

Here's a pic of my bike BTW:
Attached Thumbnails GXP Trailer Hitch-zx14-lakeside.jpg  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Nice bike.

My 4 by 8 folder weighs about 250. I got it from Harbor Freight. It isn't high quality but it gets the job done. I cannot comment on the heaviest load but I doubt I have put more than 500 pounds in it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...els-90154.html
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gixper
I really dont care to put a hitch on my car...but buying another vehicle is out of the question....I've already got 3 + a bike.

The only vehicle that I have that can pull my bike right now is the GP; The Grand Am definately can't, the Skylark is months from being finished. I just need something to pull my bike back and forth from the track. I HATE riding my bike all the way to the track and I ESPECIALLY HATE riding back. Plus if something goes on the bike while racing I'm stuck there waiting for someone to haul it back to the house for me. I figure a little 4x6 trailer + the bike cant weigh more than 700-800 lbs. That's about the equivelant of a car full of passengers.

And I kinda think it would look awesome pulling the 14 around with the GP.

Here's a pic of my bike BTW:
let me get this correct you think towing a trailer with a car looks awesome, im white trash and i wouldn't do that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GXP Trailer Hitch