LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GM bought my new LS4

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM bought my new LS4

So I take my impala in to the dealership a few weeks ago for an epic transmission fail. Get that problem solved, and then start noticing that my car sounds a lot like a can full of marbles. I figured this had something to do with the lifters and/or DOD system, so I bring it back in to the dealer. They tell me it was my lifters and replaced 4 of them (All DOD lifters). That didn't solve the problem, so they replace the computer controlling the Active Fuel Management....still sounds like s***.
I get a call today from the dealership.
Service Guy says, "Yeah, I just spoke with the technician and we will be replaceing your engine."
I say "Hold on.. what?"
Service Guy - "Yes sir, you're engine block was cracked and that was the cause of all the problems."
I say "Thank you sir"
Old 04-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Teching In

P.S - It's gonna be free...and my warranty runs out on the 28th of this month.
Rebuilt transmission - $0
Brand new LS4 with 0 miles - $0
My car's impeccable timing - priceless!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Great success ! Very nice!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

u have perfect luck and if that was me I would have bought a lottery ticket that night
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Teching In

You know what, you're right about the lottery ticket...that would have been a good call. Im not sure how much of the engine they are actually replacing but im going to gett to put my CAI back on when its all back in place. Not sure how I cracked the block though I don't run it as hard as most of the boys on this forum do...got a factory dud I suppose
Old 04-14-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW,CONGRATS!!!Wish that this would happen for all of us
Old 04-14-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...Is this some sort of remanufactured deal or is it a real, virgin block new motor?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

year, mileage??
Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Wow...Is this some sort of remanufactured deal or is it a real, virgin block new motor?
I'm SURE it's not going to be a brandy new, crate LS4...

it's gonna be a certified remanufactured with a warranty... just like their trannies are...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-14-2011, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Cracked block.. WTF?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Well while they have the block out go ahead and get them to put in a custom grind cam!!

For your troubles of course!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
I'm SURE it's not going to be a brandy new, crate LS4...

it's gonna be a certified remanufactured with a warranty... just like their trannies are...
It will be remanned, no engine or trans that comes out of a GM dealer is new, thats only for the factory, unless you open up the performance catalog..
Old 04-15-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Very nice! Great success!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

still want to know your year and mileage thats lucky for you
Old 04-16-2011, 03:52 AM
Teching In

Its a 2006 Impala SS in the 65,000 mile range. Bought as a "certified pre-owned" at arouns 35,000 miles over 2 years ago.
And yes it will be a remanufactured engine, but still much better than what I was working with before, and brand new to me. I've already had to replace both front hubs, passenger side inner tie rod, water pump, trans, and now the whole engine. I can't complain about another year warranty on the trans and 3 yr/36000 on the engine, though, since my original warranty runs out VERY soon.
Has anyone had this many serious problems with their vehicles at such a low mileage? Like I said before, I don't run the car too hard and usually wait for it to warm up on cold days before pushing it.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssilver06'
Its a 2006 Impala SS in the 65,000 mile range. Bought as a "certified pre-owned" at arouns 35,000 miles over 2 years ago.
And yes it will be a remanufactured engine, but still much better than what I was working with before, and brand new to me. I've already had to replace both front hubs, passenger side inner tie rod, water pump, trans, and now the whole engine. I can't complain about another year warranty on the trans and 3 yr/36000 on the engine, though, since my original warranty runs out VERY soon.
Has anyone had this many serious problems with their vehicles at such a low mileage? Like I said before, I don't run the car too hard and usually wait for it to warm up on cold days before pushing it.
Good to hear that you have a warranty and won't have to pay out of pocket. A lot of us have had serious problems like bad transmissions but I don't think there has been many engine failures (at least not anywhere near as common as our tranny). I wouldn't consider the other problems you had to be very serious such as hubs, tie rods...those are parts that get a lot of wear and tear and will eventually fail, especially with 65k on the clock. I've read many times on here that the guys who baby their tranny see more problems than the guys who drive it hard. It doesn't really matter how many miles you have on the car, any vehicle can go to **** town at any given time. My buddy bought a brand new Nissan Maxima back in 2009 and the engine blew in the first 10,000 miles! Now that's some !
Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JessmoMonteSS
Good to hear that you have a warranty and won't have to pay out of pocket. A lot of us have had serious problems like bad transmissions but I don't think there has been many engine failures (at least not anywhere near as common as our tranny). I wouldn't consider the other problems you had to be very serious such as hubs, tie rods...those are parts that get a lot of wear and tear and will eventually fail, especially with 65k on the clock. I've read many times on here that the guys who baby their tranny see more problems than the guys who drive it hard. It doesn't really matter how many miles you have on the car, any vehicle can go to **** town at any given time. My buddy bought a brand new Nissan Maxima back in 2009 and the engine blew in the first 10,000 miles! Now that's some !
Wow thats crazy, my car has a nice squeak coming from the drivers front on turns, and Ive seen a few new model cars in the shop getting new engines, a brand new WRX with 9k that needed a motor, even a few 2010 camry V6's that were getting motors pulled early mileage, it happens.....luck of the draw i guess

Kinda wish I bought my car at a GM dealer so I could have gotten a GM cert warranty

Quick Reply: GM bought my new LS4