LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

DT header owners get in here!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DT header owners get in here!!!!

Ok. So here is my problem. I have an exhaust leak coming from what I believe is the bottom clamp. I have tried to loosen the clamp and jack up my exhaust to move it forward. Also, I used a rubber mallet and beat it back into place. When I tightened the clamp and released the jack, the exhaust fell back into place and the leak was present again. So, here is what I am suggesting.... I am going back to the exhaust shop and going to tell them to loosen the clamp, push the exhaust back up and then weld hangers to help support the exhaust from pulling down on the downpipe of the headers. What do you guys think? Will it work or am I wasting my time doing all this? I really hate the sound of an exhaust leak because it makes my car sound like a POS! Is there anything I am overlooking that maybe I forgot to do during the install? I am looking for any suggestions because this is getting frustrating.

Also, the leak seems to only really be present in the lower RPM bands when coming from a stop or when I am at WOT. Except when at WOT it dissipates quite a bit.

Last edited by 1BAD06MCSS; 05-13-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

It's the flex coupler man I have the same dam problem
Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

with headers you will get a tinny sound that sounds like a leak but isnt
Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

They told me that they updated the flex pipe.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think you all understand, this is a very loud exhaust leak.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

like it overshadows the sound of the motor and the exhaust note.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BAD06MCSS
like it overshadows the sound of the motor and the exhaust note.
Mine sounds fine till I give it a little throttle and then it sounds like a rod knock or marbles in a can. At WOT it sounds great.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Not this, it sounds like a ticking noise that goes up and down with the RPM band. It's an exhaust leak; I just need to know if anyone else has had this problem with the bottom clamp. It all else fails, I will post a video of what is happening. Also, I want to you guys to weigh in on what else could work.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no problems with my headers, on the other hand my buddy has a leak on the bottom clamp as well.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine whistles when I rev it up!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1BAD06MCSS
Ok. So here is my problem. I have an exhaust leak coming from what I believe is the bottom clamp. I have tried to loosen the clamp and jack up my exhaust to move it forward. Also, I used a rubber mallet and beat it back into place. When I tightened the clamp and released the jack, the exhaust fell back into place and the leak was present again. So, here is what I am suggesting.... I am going back to the exhaust shop and going to tell them to loosen the clamp, push the exhaust back up and then weld hangers to help support the exhaust from pulling down on the downpipe of the headers. What do you guys think? Will it work or am I wasting my time doing all this? I really hate the sound of an exhaust leak because it makes my car sound like a POS! Is there anything I am overlooking that maybe I forgot to do during the install? I am looking for any suggestions because this is getting frustrating.

Also, the leak seems to only really be present in the lower RPM bands when coming from a stop or when I am at WOT. Except when at WOT it dissipates quite a bit.
this clamp was suppose to have been replaced when they "fixed" the flexpipe issue. I got raid of this clamp when I installed my flex pipe fix on my first run thorleys. your best bet is to do the same thing I did or simply weld everything into one piece.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

I am going to go tomorrow and try and see if the exhaust shop will weld the header together to fix this annoying problem.