LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

July Hot Rod - Turbo 409 in 2007 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Photo and Video shoot for Hot Rod? Or just personal documentation?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, this project is so badass it isn't funny. I can't wait for the day someone creates a RWD project with one of these cars, because I won't be able to do it for quite a while. I just want to see one of these things launching the front end a foot off the ground out of the hole. My passion is with RWD, but my love is for my Monte. One day.....
Old 08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Alabama - I widened a set of stock wheels 1-1/8" and put a set of Mickey Thompsons drag slicks on it that are P265/40R x 18 (prox 10-1/2") but after changing the suspension as I have there is a good possibility that I will be able to get some Nitto P285's (prox 11-1/4") under there, not quiet sure but that is something that I will be experimenting with soon.

And as far as the photo/video layout goes, it is for Hot Rod - not saying they are going to use it but I did speak to the technical editor and because one of their sponsors has asked them to review my submission they are expecting the layout for review.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bahdeets
Alabama - I widened a set of stock wheels 1-1/8" and put a set of Mickey Thompsons drag slicks on it that are P265/40R x 18 (prox 10-1/2") but after changing the suspension as I have there is a good possibility that I will be able to get some Nitto P285's (prox 11-1/4") under there, not quiet sure but that is something that I will be experimenting with soon.

And as far as the photo/video layout goes, it is for Hot Rod - not saying they are going to use it but I did speak to the technical editor and because one of their sponsors has asked them to review my submission they are expecting the layout for review.
Where did you buy the coil-overs with the strut inserts? They seem to not be producing any at the moment and ZZP only has the ones with the KYB's.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Teching In

I read somewhere that this guy spent about $200,000 by the time they were done... might actually be cheaper too go RWD.

Either way it's incredible.

Last edited by demonspeeder1; 08-05-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Alabama: I bought them from a start up company right here in Michigan in Grand Rapids. I talked to the owner at the time and he bought out the company and is really trying to bring the company back from its depressed state the original owner had taken it too. I bought them over 2 years ago when I started the project and I just don't remember their name but if you look on one of my links in the beginning where the shop showed a bunch of boxes delivered with parts the name I think is on one of the boxes, if not let me know and I will call the shop for sure and let you know.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Demonspeeder - that $200,000 is a bit on the high side and included the replacement cost for the daily driver I no longer had and needed. Things get a little costly when you start buying $15,000.00 blocks and $2000.00 transmission gears just to name a few billet pieces I had made and all the freight costs shipping stuff from all over the country. There is alot of custom work that was done that is not even evident on my links and that stuff really adds up fast. Anyway that figure was posted by one of the techs at the time and he posted it on some Utah foreign car board/forum. And the reason why I did not go to rear wheel drive with this car is because I did not want to alter the car's sheet metal/floor/unitized body. I did consider that and it would have been a little cheaper probably but it is not what I wanted. I wanted to stay with the originality of the FWD and the stock look. I too would like to have a RWD car and my original research started that way but it just appeared to be too much of an engineering and design problem so I just avoided it. However I have already started to talk to the shop about pulling this body off and fitting it on a tube frame and going RWD that way - we are just in the talking stage now and I am sure it is still a few years away. Thanks for your interest.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Alabama: It was driving me nuts I couldn't remember that Name of that company but I looked on my site myself for you. My coil overs were made by AGX in Grand Rapids Michigan. They are custom made - not an off the shelf part. I have 500#'s in the front and 400#'s in the back. Stock from the factory he told me we have 250#'s on our cars. Hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bahdeets
Alabama: It was driving me nuts I couldn't remember that Name of that company but I looked on my site myself for you. My coil overs were made by AGX in Grand Rapids Michigan. They are custom made - not an off the shelf part. I have 500#'s in the front and 400#'s in the back. Stock from the factory he told me we have 250#'s on our cars. Hope this helps.
Thanks man, but on one of the picture links posted here it said they were from HT Motorsports. Are they manufacturing them now?

This is Alabamaguy, sorry on my buddy's computer.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Alabama: I left a voice mail for my tech last night asking for the name and phone number for you. I will get that for you. But now that you mention HT motorsports I can't be 100% certain but that very well may be the place. I will know early this week for you. If not I will know for sure the following week. I Remember the new owner made some comment to me when I spoke to him that he just bought the business and was really trying very hard to turn it around. So when you ask are they making them again, that may very well be true. I will write back as soon as I know.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Alabama: I got what you need. The HT Motorsports is now West Shore Fabrications in Grand Rapids and their phone number is 616-893-1433. They also have a website with their suspension upgrades for our cars. Take a look and call them, they are really great people. I hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a few emails with West Shore last week. He said he came make them in around a week. Website says they are shut down moving to new location, but I was able to contact thorugh email. I'm looking at just the rear coil overs for now due to sagging on take off and don't trust the tie-down cable mod very much anymore. He recommended around 400 to 450# in the rear for drag racing. He mentioned that with monte carlos they have had a rubbing issue with the wheels and coil overs. He didn't say any specifics on which size wheels, but I'm guessing it's on V6 cars with 16" or 17" wheels maybe. Any issues with rubbing or clearance Bahdeets?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

He also mentioned to me the rubbing issue. And his recommendation was 500# in the rear. I can not honestly tell you if this is an issue with me yet because I have not had it to the strip yet and my first time driving it will be the 15th of this month.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What are you using for a torque converter? Brand, model, and stall? Are you able to lock it up under WOT or on the dyno? thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the 15th, and am paciently waiting for an update!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still waiting to see how the first drive was!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

You guys won't believe this - sat here writing for about 20 minutes and forgot to log in and my entire page was delete. Will catch up later. - The car is unbelieveable - will update later too tired 7 hours sleep in 3 days. Can't stay up much longer.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Could a stand alone fuel management been used? By the way I think this is great that you got all this help from GM. It shows they care about the enthusiasm in their brand. I am awaiting updates too! Nice pics btw.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Woooo all I saw in the pics is money money
Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Well I tried again and for some odd reason when I write something real long it gets kick off, don't know why. I guess I have to keep it short and sweet.
My converter is a billet one by Hughes in Phoenix
The fuel system is pretty much stand alone with its own pressure/speed control unit, Aeromotive pump and baffle in the tank feeding 85# injectors - not sure if it interfaces with the PCM - my tech would know for sure
Greg Hubbs was with me and probably will post pictures of our short drive together
My first drive was awesome - 75 miles and 9 gallons of gas real economical
It is the most spectacular car I have ever driven. I have driven hemi's and L88's back in the day - super modified cars and none had the power I have created.
And yes the converter has locked up on the street and on the dyno.
My drive was a learning curve so the boost was set at 8 psi only max is about 15
* PSI gives me just under 700 and 15 will put me at about 800 on the ground.

Quick Reply: July Hot Rod - Turbo 409 in 2007 Monte Carlo