LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Trans fluid swap, couple Q's

Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans fluid swap, couple Q's

I want to add some amsoil synthetic to my trans, gonna drop the pan and change the filter, my Q is can i just refill the lost fluid from the pan drop with synthetic and be ok with mixing the amsoil with the factory dexron VI?? Dont want to do a full exchange as its probably not needed and not to mention EXPENSIVE.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rvd9431
I want to add some amsoil synthetic to my trans, gonna drop the pan and change the filter, my Q is can i just refill the lost fluid from the pan drop with synthetic and be ok with mixing the amsoil with the factory dexron VI?? Dont want to do a full exchange as its probably not needed and not to mention EXPENSIVE.
It is always a good idea to use the same fluid that the trans was built with. The clutches have worn to the GM fluid. The Dextron fluid is synthetic and is great stuff! I spent 120.00 on my last service
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

question to ask..... My tranny is starting to act funny when switching from 3rd to 4th. Will jump into 4th then slip back to 3rd. Doesnt happen all the time but its noticeable. My question is if I drop my pan and change the filter and do the flush would this maybe stop this from happening?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TallassJonG
question to ask..... My tranny is starting to act funny when switching from 3rd to 4th. Will jump into 4th then slip back to 3rd. Doesnt happen all the time but its noticeable. My question is if I drop my pan and change the filter and do the flush would this maybe stop this from happening?
Depends on the color of the fluid. If your over 25K then I'd change the fluid/filter and put in a shift kit. My trans has a 4th gear hunting problem too.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Depends on the color of the fluid. If your over 25K then I'd change the fluid/filter and put in a shift kit. My trans has a 4th gear hunting problem too.
thank you
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't ever recommend doing a flush on any car and I think the best way is to drop the pan and change the filter. If a writer ever sells a flush I go up front and sell the customer the cheaper pan and filter option. I could make more money doing the flush but I've seen too many cars brought back on a flatbed after a trans flush.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

would it be worth it to throw a shift kit into it as well?? my trans has 48k on it, want to make it last, sometimes its late to shift into overdrive or 4th but other than that its ok
Old 05-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
I wouldn't ever recommend doing a flush on any car and I think the best way is to drop the pan and change the filter. If a writer ever sells a flush I go up front and sell the customer the cheaper pan and filter option. I could make more money doing the flush but I've seen too many cars brought back on a flatbed after a trans flush.
I was thinking that doing both the flush and fluid/filter I would completely clean out the whole transmission. I have read only a little bit of the fluid gets replaced in a fluid/filter swap so by flushing it too wouldnt that take care of all of it?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking that doing both the flush and fluid/filter I would completely clean out the whole transmission. I have read only a little bit of the fluid gets replaced in a fluid/filter swap so by flushing it too wouldnt that take care of all of it?
I would just do a pan drop because like I stated I've seen too many cars come back with blown up transmissions after a trans flush. Usually they are higher mileage cars but I still believe it's not worth risking and quite honestly not worth the money. Just drop the pan and change the filter/fluid then drop the pan at a later date and just change the fluid. I've done what you're talking about doing several times and I always think its a waste of money. Lets say your system holds 13 quarts and you end up flushing that amount throughout the transmission. Then you drop the pan and lose 5-6 quarts so in the end you paid 100+ more dollars for 7-8 quarts of fluid. I'd rather do two transmission filter services!

Last edited by TurboStangJON; 05-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

I am planning on doing a trans fluid change, filter and shift kit and mine has 37K on it. Get your stuff from triple edge performance!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Trans flush is a good idea as long as it's not done by a machine.
Install a shift it, new filter and fluid. Remove the the trans line that sends fluid to the radiator and have it going into a bucket. You may need to use a piece of rubber hose. Remove the trans dipstick, install a funnel and have about a gallon of new trans fluid ready to pour. Start the engine and pour the fluid into the trans and have an assistant observe the color of the fluid. Once the fluid is bright red, have them shut off the engine. Reinstall the line and top off the trans fliud.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

wow thank you very much guys
Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Not to mention you can see how much junk you have on the magnet in the pan. That was my main concern. My dealer wouldn't shut up about the flush, kept telling me a pan drop is ONLY for a transmission with problems. Mine was acting a little goofy from time to time but has been perfect since pan drop filter and top off.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

i need to drop my pan, fluid isnt burnt but its starting to show discoloration, if I do that though i want to put a shift kit in it, im determined to make this trans last at LEAST to 80k, 100k would be a blessing
Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase a shift kit? I tried maneuvering through Triple Edge's site but its not the best. Any other suggestions? How much do those things run? Any favorites?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

all the ones ive seen run about 100 bucks i know zzp has them for sure
Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Order from triple edge. The kit is like $68 bucks

Search this Thread