LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

dirt in radiator overfill bottle, what to do?

Old 06-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirt in radiator overfill bottle, what to do?

i just bought a 2008 impala ss from a dealer i've used before. stupid me, based on trust, i did not look at fluids in the car like i normally would. when i got it home, i checked the levels, and found red clay dirt in the overflow bottle. now i am not a mechanic so i'm hoping some gurus here will help me out. if this dirt has circulated through the cooling system, what am i looking at damage wise? will a thorough flush and fill take care of it, or am i at risk of other parts like the water pump going out? i just bought the car on the 2nd of June. I really like the car, should i try to return it all together or just demand they pay for the flush and fill?
thanks in advance
Old 06-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Is it almost like a sticky substance if you rub it between your fingers? Dexicool coolant breaks down in the system and causes that, its in my trans am a bit as well, but from what I know its a brownish color, not red.

Either way you gotta drain it, flush it, and refill.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Scott97LT1
Is it almost like a sticky substance if you rub it between your fingers? Dexicool coolant breaks down in the system and causes that, its in my trans am a bit as well, but from what I know its a brownish color, not red.

Either way you gotta drain it, flush it, and refill.
no, this is definately dirt. it's at the top of the overflow bottle neck and top. here in mississippi we have red clay dirt. the previous owner must have had an emergency and pulled water out of a river or lake.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Yikes, yeah the breakdown from my coolant is on the neck and cap as well. But I used to live in michigan so I know the clay you are speaking of, we used to have clay fights when we were kids hah.

Id say if you bought the car not "As is" you should deff bring it up there and physically show them the deal.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its not dirt.. mine is or was exactly the same way, our coolant likes to do that in our cars. i know it does look like mud but its not. just flush it or add some more
Old 06-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Yikes, yeah the breakdown from my coolant is on the neck and cap as well. But I used to live in michigan so I know the clay you are speaking of, we used to have clay fights when we were kids hah.

Id say if you bought the car not "As is" you should deff bring it up there and physically show them the deal.
i'm pretty confident the dealer will do the right thing. will the flush and fill suffice or should i return the car? i really like this car, but not if it's going to have future problems.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redeemedtat2
i'm pretty confident the dealer will do the right thing. will the flush and fill suffice or should i return the car? i really like this car, but not if it's going to have future problems.
Well, flushing it should clear the system. hows the temp after it warms up? Check your oil and make sure it isn't milky or any noticable signs of coolant in it while you are at it.. if it is that means fluids are mixing and thats no good :O
Old 06-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gxp-miller-gxp
its not dirt.. mine is or was exactly the same way, our coolant likes to do that in our cars. i know it does look like mud but its not. just flush it or add some more
so should i switch to a different coolant or stick with this dexcool crap? i've never seen this in any of my other vehicles.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Well, flushing it should clear the system. hows the temp after it warms up? Check your oil and make sure it isn't milky or any noticable signs of coolant in it while you are at it.. if it is that means fluids are mixing and thats no good :O
the temp stays dead in the center position. i drove it over 100 miles to get it home. oil and tranny fluid look good.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redeemedtat2
so should i switch to a different coolant or stick with this dexcool crap? i've never seen this in any of my other vehicles.
Id put a different mix in, think about it.. the dexicool is supposed to last 100k miles, but since it gunks up you still end up having to change it out like you normally would. So why not get a 50-50 mix and do it that way, at least you wont have that crap clocking your radiator up.

My thermostat sits at about 185- 200 tops at all times.. I still have dexicool in it though but its getting switched out.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its up to you, i never flushed mine. the dealer just added more one time . but i would empty it all out and fill it up with the same or something else if its better
Old 06-05-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its like 5yrs or 100k fluid. Dex cool does break down and look like a clay substance.. Seen it in other GM cars.. usually with more miles or age though.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Launching!

It happened to my Super at about 20K miles. I took it to the dealer to have them flush the coolant but I think all they did was just drain and clean the reservoir tank. It is documented so that if it messes up the water pump or anything else it's on them.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Teching In

This happened to our Grand Prix GXP with about 45000 miles on it. I had the dealer do a flush and fill even though the Dexcool should have been good for another 55000 miles. We got the car back and the red/brown mud was still in the tank. The service department said they don't clean it (we no longer use this place). I removed the tank, drained it and carefully stuffed a small bath towel into the tank, filled it with water, and shook it until the mud dislodged and discarded the water...kinda like a washing machine agitator. I hope this is helpful.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ekooch
This happened to our Grand Prix GXP with about 45000 miles on it. I had the dealer do a flush and fill even though the Dexcool should have been good for another 55000 miles. We got the car back and the red/brown mud was still in the tank. The service department said they don't clean it (we no longer use this place). I removed the tank, drained it and carefully stuffed a small bath towel into the tank, filled it with water, and shook it until the mud dislodged and discarded the water...kinda like a washing machine agitator. I hope this is helpful.
yeah it's helpful alright. i'll be sure to check their work before i leave and make them do it right!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dirt in radiator overfill bottle, what to do?