LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Going to go turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going to go turbo

Ok so I've been talking to the owner of a local performance shop about making a turbo cross-over and downpipe. He is going to charge me $550 for the crossover and $250 for the DP. The crossover will have the WG placed up by the turbo to better control boost and will dump back into the dp. Will also be using a 3" dp no cat and no cut out, and will not be using a meth kit. What I am going to do is pull the heads and put a ticker HG on to drop the CR. Looking at running 10psi and maybe doing e85. I'm going to go with a master power T70 with a/r .96 exhaust housing. I'm also going to be using a water/air intercooler set-up and might also do a cam better for the turbo setup. If anyone has any input about this setup lmk. And by input I don't mean you might want to build your trans first.

Also if anyone might have any interest in doing a group buy on the crossover/dp setup lmk and I'll see what we can do.

Last edited by Haulin_Ls4_GxP; 06-11-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: because I can't type
Old 06-11-2011, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Hell yeah.. do it!!
Stuff adds up real quick so watch out. You might wanna just get the stage 1 kit from cartuning unless you feel like doing a build. Kevins, kit is a bolt on, and when you want more you can upgrade to the stage 2. Homework is already done and his prices are reasonable.
Whatever you decide to do.. Take pics and document your work. Goodluck!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

I don't that the CT kit because I don't have ANY options and I hate that. Thus I am going to put my own together. I'm guessing I'll be right around $3500 tops with tuning a fuel. This isn't going to be something that’s going to happen overnight. I'm going to try to get started on the crossover and downpipe in September, if money allows. I just got a promotion at work to assistant store manager so I'll be making about 1k more a month. I'm just going to take my time doing this. I'm also going to but a beater for a DD.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Haulin_Ls4_GxP
I don't that the CT kit because I don't have ANY options and I hate that. Thus I am going to put my own together. I'm guessing I'll be right around $3500 tops with tuning a fuel. This isn't going to be something that’s going to happen overnight. I'm going to try to get started on the crossover and downpipe in September, if money allows. I just got a promotion at work to assistant store manager so I'll be making about 1k more a month. I'm just going to take my time doing this. I'm also going to but a beater for a DD.
Plenty of time to do some research then man. Congrates on the big promotion
Going to give me a run for the money.. lol
Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Plenty of time to do some research then man. Congrates on the big promotion
Going to give me a run for the money.. lol
Yep I'm coming for you lol...and thanks
Old 06-11-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i say you should go for it. i have one question though, why have you decided to not use meth? you should defiantly keep this build updated, i have a feeling its gonna turn out pretty good. if so ill just choose this route over cartunings non inter cooled kit.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gxp-miller-gxp
i say you should go for it. i have one question though, why have you decided to not use meth? you should defiantly keep this build updated, i have a feeling its gonna turn out pretty good. if so ill just choose this route over cartunings non inter cooled kit.
If you’re tuned for meth and your meth pump goes bad under full boost more than likely your going to pop the engine. Thats why I'm going to use a ticker HG to drop the CR or use E85. I won't have to worrie about knock as much.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

if your still using the stock rear mani theres not enough room for a 3inch dp. my 2.5inch just fits
Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What I am going to do is pull the heads and put a ticker HG on to drop the CR.
Don’t waste your time. If your running E85 10:1 is not an issue, and an air to water ic is probably over kill. Other than that I like it, a lot!

Oh and if you want some helpful input but not about the trans… ummm maybe a duel stage boost controller?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2005gxp
if your still using the stock rear mani theres not enough room for a 3inch dp. my 2.5inch just fits
yeah I thought about that as well I might have him build a rear manifold. Depending on what he would charge to do it.

Originally Posted by Brian396
Don’t waste your time. If your running E85 10:1 is not an issue, and an air to water ic is probably over kill. Other than that I like it, a lot!

Oh and if you want some helpful input but not about the trans… ummm maybe a duel stage boost controller?
Yeah I was going to do one or the other. Not to sure I want to pull the heads, but I want to replace the lifters so I might just go with the ticker HG and run 93. Also how does a dual stage boost controller work? The reason for wanting to do the water/air IC is because it takes up less room, will get IAT to almost ambiant temp, and less pressure drop. I still might go with air /air undecided on the still.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

I have a stupid question. Where the hell can I get a ticker HG and how tick it the stock HG.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Contact Julio a www.alkycontrol.com. I don’t believe anyone has ever experienced a failure under boost like you have described, and he has sold hundreds of kits, many of which are on 8 and 9 second cars. I've been using one for about 5 years, and can speak to the rock solid reliability.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Contact Julio a www.alkycontrol.com. I don’t believe anyone has ever experienced a failure under boost like you have described, and he has sold hundreds of kits, many of which are on 8 and 9 second cars. I've been using one for about 5 years, and can speak to the rock solid reliability.
Thanks LS1 I'll be looking into that. I have never heard of a failure but I'm that poor SOB it would happen too lol so I just assume not deal with it if I don't have to know what I mean?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also how does a dual stage boost controller work? The reason for wanting to do the water/air IC is because it takes up less room, will get IAT to almost ambiant temp, and less pressure drop. I still might go with air /air undecided on the still.
http://www.alamomotorsports.com/turb...s_bc_dsbc.html
There’s a lot of different boost controllers out there. You’ll have to search. I would think you would want a little less boost in 1st gear.