LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

weird noise coming from my SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for bringing this one back alive but i had this issue you have fixed.. I would get this annoying rattling sound when only in 4cyl mode. IT was embarassing as i can hear it echo off the curbs are parked cars. The problem is it is the timing chain.. There is a TSB about this (sorry not sure on the number) The timing chain gets some slack and when in 4cyl mode, it starts hitting the case. However GM in the TSB says there is no fix and its a normal condition.. I took mine to the dealer with that problem and an oil leak.. The dealer told me the info i told you from the TSB and i was like WTF GM! They said they can not fix it b/c GM will not cover there service since my car under warrenty. So i said whatever i just live with it.. Well when they dropped the oil pan for my oil leak, inside the pan they said they saw a piece from the time chain tensioner in it.. B.c of that, they had to fix it.. Got new timing chain assembly and everything is gone..
Old 07-26-2011, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by steveman0018
sorry for bringing this one back alive but i had this issue you have fixed.. I would get this annoying rattling sound when only in 4cyl mode. IT was embarassing as i can hear it echo off the curbs are parked cars. The problem is it is the timing chain.. There is a TSB about this (sorry not sure on the number) The timing chain gets some slack and when in 4cyl mode, it starts hitting the case. However GM in the TSB says there is no fix and its a normal condition.. I took mine to the dealer with that problem and an oil leak.. The dealer told me the info i told you from the TSB and i was like WTF GM! They said they can not fix it b/c GM will not cover there service since my car under warrenty. So i said whatever i just live with it.. Well when they dropped the oil pan for my oil leak, inside the pan they said they saw a piece from the time chain tensioner in it.. B.c of that, they had to fix it.. Got new timing chain assembly and everything is gone..
Thanks for sharing! I still have the noise, and i have no idea what to do. I guess my best bet is to take it in and see what they can do.. Other than that im screwed and im also still on my powertrain warranty. This will be interesting..
Old 07-26-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

drop your oil pan and see if anything in it... I might of been lucky. They will only fix it if you pay them or if its broken.. Its very stupid of gm to say its a normal engine condition when really its not. No car suppose to sound like a bike chain hitting the pavement.

Quick Reply: weird noise coming from my SS