LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Brake "backing plates"?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake "backing plates"?

I had new OEM brake pads installed, and not only did my brakes continue to squeak, but the sound continued to get worse. I had it looked at, and was told that I need new break backing plates since mine are rusted and bent. I found one on RockAuto.com for $36. How much should I expect to pay for labor for an installation for something like this? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

A backing plate wont make noise unless its touching a moving part and if it is bend it away from the moving part issue solved
Old 06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Teching In

I was told the mechanic tried bending the plate back, but a piece broke off when he tried since it was so rusty!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Same amount of work to add that plate and change the pads so I would expect the labor to be the same.

Might just need some brake quiet lube as well. Did you have the rotors serviced at all? The pads might squeal a bit at first but should fade...
Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Teching In

The front brakes started to squeak, so I took it in and was told I should get new rotors and pads. I did that, and the squeaking remained. I now know I need the backing plates replaced. Any suggestions on where to get these? Cheapest I found so far is about $39 each from AC-direct.com : http://ac-direct.amazonwebstore.com/...B00496JQ7E.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake "backing plates"?