LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Issue

Hey all!

I've been browsing this forum for the better part of a year now, off and on, finally deciding to post something!

I currently have a 2005 grand prix gxp with 100k miles on it, still with the original trans! The first thing I did to it when I purchased it 2 years ago was installed a zzp shift kit, new fluid/filter and a trans. cooler, which definitely helped it out some.

Recently I've noticed its starting to make a whining/whirring sound when I accelerate and even more when I turn left or right. Oddly enough, when I turn ONLY left giving it even the smallest amount of gas, it shutters and slips, something pops and I can't accelerate at all. It feels like something is grinding then popping back into place violently when the steering wheel is straightened. I'm afraid the trans. is going, but could it also be a CV shaft/joint as well? I'd like some input here as I've been curious to see what the hell the problem is and how much this repair would be.

--Nick
Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Intermediary shafts are a common problem, but it's usually related to noise coming from the passenger side.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:58 AM

I'm fairly certain the noise is coming from the driver side. Think it could be as simple as a boot/lube job?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:21 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

Check to see if the trans fluid is low. If you're making turns and its slipping, it could be sloshing around and pressure is dropping off.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:14 PM

Thats the first thing I did. The fluid is bright orange and a little above the full mark. Think a flush might help anyhow?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 PM

Over the weekend I figured out that the trans gradually gets worse the hotter it gets. At roughly 170F when turning left it feels as though the driver side CV shaft spline disconnects, then reconnects when I straighten the wheel. Is the driver side transaxle the default side that powers the car under normal driving conditions?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Hi All

New to the forum as well, found it after searching for this very same problem. I have an '06 Impala SS. When accelerating from a stop, and turning left, it makes a wierd grinding noise, seems to lose some power, and even the traction control light flashes. If you keep your foot on the gas it continues the noise and has virtually no power. If you left off the gas then ease back into it it is fine. The problem does not seem to happen at all when launching straight or turning right.

Been to the dealer three times, they can't nail it down. Thought it was a tranny issue, but seems strange to me that it would only happen when turning left. Any thoughts so I can get this demon out of my beast?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM

Apparently I'm unsure how to properly take a fluid measurement from the transmission dipstick. It read full when the car was off (checked a few times) but it wasn't. I put another quart of fluid in there, which seemed to fix it. I still get a faint whine, but the slipping when turning left is gone. Where would a quart of fluid go over 20k miles?