LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Blacking out crome window trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacking out crome window trim

The crome on the SS's is ugly and i hate everything crome on the car (window trim, Grille') most of you guys have done plasti-dip but im skeptial about it because not sure if itll look like crap in a couple of months. Other forums suggested black out tape. My question to you guys is has anyone done it? plasti dip or black out tape? how does it look after a couple of months?

please feel free to share everything.

thanks for reading
Old 07-27-2011, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Location: Origionally-Winnipeg Manitoba, Currently-Fort McMurray Alberta

I'm working on doing the same thing... I didn't plasti dip, I painted it-the lower grille trim on my 08 imp (but i had a brush with the effing garage and had to do a touch up)

I did it about 1 month ago, and so far it looks the same as when i first did it (minus the touch up mark)

3 coats primer
5 coats black paint
6-10 coats clear coat (the more the merrier!)

As for the window trim... still trying to figure that one out.. bought some black out tape... didn't think it would be too easy to make it curve around the back always seemed to wrinkle on my old grille...
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lunchbox_89
I'm working on doing the same thing... I didn't plasti dip, I painted it-the lower grille trim on my 08 imp (but i had a brush with the effing garage and had to do a touch up)

I did it about 1 month ago, and so far it looks the same as when i first did it (minus the touch up mark)

3 coats primer
5 coats black paint
6-10 coats clear coat (the more the merrier!)

As for the window trim... still trying to figure that one out.. bought some black out tape... didn't think it would be too easy to make it curve around the back always seemed to wrinkle on my old grille...
oh wow you went all out. I suck at painting so im trying to avoid that but it seems like thats the best way for making it look good. If you look at the thread "plasti dippers do this" or something, the 2nd page a guy plastic dipped his grille and it looks super good. But people on BMW forums like to use black out tape so thats why i thru this idea in the air. Let me know how everything turns out. I just really need to get rid of this crome lol
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

I've done the black out tape a few times. Here in Texas it lasts for about a year and half. I will say that it is pretty hard to get it around the curve on the small window and usually looks like semi-poop when I'm done.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a pic of my car with the black out tape. This was from a while back, I've since peeled it off cause it was starting to pull up in the corners.

Also if you do buy the black out tape, buy 2 rolls. 1 doesn't leave room for mess ups.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Awesome! thanks for the input. Is it easy to peel off? Any tips for around the corners? I assume you can buy it on amazon, but what about autozone or advanced auto parts?

car looks nice, how does it look upclose though, noticable?

thanks for sharing!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 AM
On The Tree

Location: Origionally-Winnipeg Manitoba, Currently-Fort McMurray Alberta

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
Here's a pic of my car with the black out tape. This was from a while back, I've since peeled it off cause it was starting to pull up in the corners.

Also if you do buy the black out tape, buy 2 rolls. 1 doesn't leave room for mess ups.
damn man, that looks really good, did you pull off the chrome window trim to do that? or leave it on? (if you did pull it off, would you mind explaining how? I can't seem to figure how to get it out other than ripping it out of the rubber its 'attached' to)

really wish these cars were a more popularly modded car.. so little options for bolt-ons
Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO, don't try to pull the chrome off the window. You will damage it beyond repair!!! Sorry just thought that might catch your attention.

I bought mine on amazon cause the Vato Zone by my house didn't have any, but I think they may sell it. The back window was semi-noticeable(mainly to me) but if you do it slowly and patiently you can make it work. I did mine in a few pieces and just tried to be very careful to make them line up and not look so obvious.

It's easier than Plasti-dip to peel off It comes right up and with a wet rag or goo gone or whatever you like to use, the excess glue comes right off. I've done it 3 times now in the 4.5yrs I've owned my car. I might do it again or I might just talk to a shop about painting it.

Oh and thanks for the compliment on the car! It doesn't look like that(much) anymore.

Hmmm, I didn't realize I had a new-ish pic with the black out tape still on. Here's what the car looks like now.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that black imp looks good
Old 07-28-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, but I'm not done with her yet! I just wish the LEO's here weren't being *** hats about blacked out tail lights now.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

vato zone LMFAO..

awesome, ill order it this week. ever think about trying to black out the crome pieces on the grills?

p.s love the car and rims!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

I thought about it, but always forgot to order extra for that. And when I did have extra, I was just to lazy to do it!!

Quick Reply: Blacking out crome window trim