LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

clanking noise in rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clanking noise in rear of car

so as the title states i have a clanking noise in the rear of the car. i originally thought it was the heat shields on the gas tank, or over the cat, but its not. it does it ever time i hit a bump so im starting to think that the rear struts are starting to go. so heres the question. are the struts covered under the gmpp, or are they not because its a wear and tear deal? next question is if theyre not what are decent affordable struts to run? if i have to switch the struts myself im thinking of doing all 4 and running the ssc springs. im trying to avoid putting more money into this car since im having camaro dreams, but while there off why not.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It could just be the strut mounts that are going out. If you end up needing new struts, I would recommend you get KYB replacements if you plan to stay with stock springs.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Teching In

i had a a clanking noise to from rear of car u could olnly here it when i went over bumps in road my mechanic checked it out and it was the rear sway bar links had to be replaced , at least it was a cheap fix. let us know what is clanking
Old 07-28-2011, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Location: Origionally-Winnipeg Manitoba, Currently-Fort McMurray Alberta

I just put on new exhaust, and 2 out of the 6 rubber hangers were off when i first went under the car... you might want to check those..

do you see sparks flying behind you when you drive?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

no sparks. i checked the exhaust hangers they all seemed good to me. all the suspension parts seem tight. how do i check the strut mounts? this is the first car ive ever owned that has struts so im extremely ignorant when it comes to them. it sounds to me like it comes from both sides, and its audible from outside the car. ive definitely seen people look when i hit a bump, and it makes the sound.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Same issue with the sway bar links, wasn't replaced under warranty, I think it was like 40 bucks with labor or something. They upgraded the links too, can't remember the name but they are oilable and I guess a lot more durable.