Print Wikipost

starter motor removal / replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter motor removal / replacement

Folks,
So, my solenoid died and I'm trying to replace my starter motor. The short version is that I'm able to get at and remove the (allegedly) two bolts holding the original starter on.

My Haynes manual says to "Remove the starter motor mounting bolts (see illustration) and remove the starter motor" :

..and here's mine..

I can't seem to get that starter to come out to save my life. The picture here shows the top bolt still attached; it's removed on my car.

Does anybody have hints, tips, tricks, etc. or know of anything that I'm missing?

Wes

Last edited by wesdean78; 08-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Here's what alldata has...
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the starter solenoid BAT terminal nut (3) and remove the positive battery cable (2) from the starter motor.
3. Remove the engine harness terminal (4) from the starter motor.
4. Disconnect the starter motor electrical connector (1).
5. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
6. Remove the starter motor bolts and starter motor.

Not sure if this helps lol
Attached Thumbnails starter motor removal / replacement-1.gif   starter motor removal / replacement-2.gif   starter motor removal / replacement-3.gif  
Old 08-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

I particularly enjoy step 12 in the Haynes book... "Installation is the reverse of removal."

Does that mean I have to throw-up all of the alcohol I drank while trying to get the original part out?

Wes
Old 08-03-2011, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

There are dowel pins also to line the starter up correctly. You will have to pry the starter away from the trans. It will be nice and tight from corrosion of metal and hundreds of heat cycles....
Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 PM

I had to replace mine as well. It was fairly easy..just remove the two bolts and whack it with a hard plastic tipped hammer a few times from the side. It will pop out after rocking back and forth to release the starter gear from the flywheel.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

It came out. I wound up putting a crow bar behind it and pushing on the starter until it started to budge... the rest was easy.

I bought my replacement from Advance online so that I could take advantage of their "save 15% and get $50 off of a future order" offer. It came last night.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...CGRP60042_____

That unit is on this page here:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...chTerm=starter

Unfortunately, if you'll see from the gears on each one of the new starters, none of them are the same as the one on our starters. The unit I purchased, in particular, was listed as:

"ProForm High Torque Starter�Chevy�V6, S/B & B/B V8 Engines 12 V 14 Kw Motor, 11:1 Comp"

I'm like, "yeah, I have a Chevy v6 or sbc/bbc engine" which made sense considering I had told Advance that I had a 2006 Chevy Impala SS. When comparing the two, you'll see that they're not even close..

So, I talked to the folks from Advance on the phone and they told me to bring it to a local store and the local store will be able to do the exchange for something that works on my car.

Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully I'll be able to get this buttoned back up tomorrow (it's started to rain here and I'm working on the car outside).

Wes

Last edited by wesdean78; 08-06-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 198 Likes on 99 Posts

Maybe mine was different, but on mine the dowel pins came out with the starter vs. staying on the transmission.
Name:  IMG_7278.jpg
Views: 8671
Size:  62.1 KB
Name:  IMG_7276.jpg
Views: 8167
Size:  70.2 KB

The LS4 starter is quite unique in that it is a reverse rotation setup with a rather large pinion gear, so none of the cheapo mini starters will work.

Being so unique, the starter is also far from cheap. Autozone lists it for $175.99 including core charge. Rock Auto wants 227.99 + $70 core
Old 08-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Staging Lane

The LS4 starter is quite unique in that it is a reverse rotation setup with a rather large pinion gear, so none of the cheapo mini starters will work.

Being so unique, the starter is also far from cheap. Autozone lists it for $175.99 including core charge. Rock Auto wants 227.99 + $70 core
I went to an Advance store and the kid behind the counter was very non-subtle in his position that I didn't know what I was doing and ordered the wrong part. He further informed me that the correct part was $377 with a $60 core charge. It's expected to be in today (Friday, August 5th).

Immediately after leaving Advance, I went two doors down to a Pep Boys where the guy pulled up the starters for our cars and they looked exactly like the one I had just returned to Advance and that he didn't have a compatible part for me, but he did know of a guy who rebuilds starters and alternators and that he could rebuild it quickly and cheaply. That guy is out of town until Monday... so, if I go there on Monday and it takes him a few days to get it done, I might be rolling a week from now.

Wes
Old 04-10-2016, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fieroguru
Maybe mine was different, but on mine the dowel pins came out with the starter vs. staying on the transmission.

Any idea how to get the dowel pin out of the transaxle?

I have one (toward the intake manifold) stuck right now and I can't figure it out.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GXP25

I have one (toward the intake manifold) stuck right now and I can't figure it out.
I figured u have access to a welder you could tack a bolt to it and use a dowel puller. Or some penetrating oil , let it soak and use vise grips.
Do u need it out ?
Old 04-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Launching!

If u have access to a welder you could tack a bolt to it and use a dowel puller. Or some penetrating oil , let it soak and use vise grips.
Do u need it out ?
Old 04-10-2016, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by higsy
If u have access to a welder you could tack a bolt to it and use a dowel puller. Or some penetrating oil , let it soak and use vise grips.
Do u need it out ?
Thanks.

Yes I'm changing the starter and one of the dowel pins stayed in the transaxle and another on the starter. Of course, the new starter has the dowel pins located in the starter.

I could reuse the old starter for now but eventually I want to get this swapped again.

EDIT: Penetrating oil and vice grips have been a no go. I even went out and purchased new needle nose vice grips and they can't get a good grip on the dowel.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you get some heat to it? Even a dose of propane which doesn't get overly hot from a small torch to the transmission case might help as its aluminum. Whats up with this car? Did you get your transmission rebuilt?
Old 04-10-2016, 11:18 PM
Launching!

U could also try drilling it on centre. They're soft inside and can be tapped once you break thru the surface. Drill it and tap to 1/4 NC or something like that and use a puller to get it out.

Also maybe leaving the oil in there over night will help loosen it.

What about removing the corresponding dowel in the new starter. Shouldn't be as tight as the one in the tranny.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rottonj
Can you get some heat to it? Even a dose of propane which doesn't get overly hot from a small torch to the transmission case might help as its aluminum. Whats up with this car? Did you get your transmission rebuilt?
I'll try this suggestion when I get at it this weekend or the next. I just simply reused the old starter that makes the random starting noises.

The transmission has not been rebuilt. The car doesn't get used much. That same day, I replaced the air conditioning hose in the front since it leaked last year some time.

It's just that the G8 is such a much more fun car to drive really. But I do plan on getting the Grand Prix fixed.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by higsy
U could also try drilling it on centre. They're soft inside and can be tapped once you break thru the surface. Drill it and tap to 1/4 NC or something like that and use a puller to get it out.

Also maybe leaving the oil in there over night will help loosen it.

What about removing the corresponding dowel in the new starter. Shouldn't be as tight as the one in the tranny.
I attempted to remove the dowel from the new starter as well. I'll try a fixed vice clamp next time.

Thanks for the suggestions!

fieroguru?
Old 04-13-2016, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll try this suggestion when I get at it this weekend or the next. I just simply reused the old starter that makes the random starting noises.

The transmission has not been rebuilt. The car doesn't get used much. That same day, I replaced the air conditioning hose in the front since it leaked last year some time.

It's just that the G8 is such a much more fun car to drive really. But I do plan on getting the Grand Prix fixed.
That G8 GXP is an awesome machine, can see the GP getting much less use as well with that in your stable. Good luck on the fix, and with both cars.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow nice pickup with G8!! U not sneaking up on people with that like u wad the grand prix

Quick Reply: starter motor removal / replacement