LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Trans cooler!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans cooler!

Almost installed, lol. I installed my oil, and fuel pressure gauges today, which were easy as cake with the right tools and fittings. I then wanted to install my trans temp gauge, but I didn't see anywhere on the trans to install it. So, I figured I would just go get a trans cooler, and tee the temp sender off when I splice into the hoses. I tore the front end apart a little and installed the cooler, but it started getting dark so I buttoned the front end back up and left the hose part alone. I went with the flex-a-lite 7x20" from summit, good choice too. I was thinking about the 10X20, but decided against because it didnt come with the install kit, and when I had hard enough time getting the 7x20 in there because of the space dropping it down in. The freaking fins on edge kinda started to smash up, nor horribly, but if I would have gotten bigger, I would have demolished the fins. Hopefully I get a chance to splice the hoses soon, probably won't be until next Wednesday though. I really would have like to know my before and after temps, but oh well, at least I know I should be cool. I will get pics up of my gauge pod within the next day or so, I forgot to get some pics when I was workin' on it today. Big thanks to Dustin for selling me his pod/gauges!!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuel pressure gauge? You building a show car or a race car?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Why not both
Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car came with a trans temp gauge...
Old 08-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Lol! I plan on putting nitrous on it in the near future, probably over winter. So having a fuel pressure gauge to moniter is a must. I wish my car was nice enough to show, but it has way to many imperfections body wise. Even then, I wouldn't show, other than the occasional drive in here and there. So to answer your question, race car. Lol
Old 08-05-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go fast and kick ***
Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JWMayes
Lol! I plan on putting nitrous on it in the near future, probably over winter. So having a fuel pressure gauge to moniter is a must. I wish my car was nice enough to show, but it has way to many imperfections body wise. Even then, I wouldn't show, other than the occasional drive in here and there. So to answer your question, race car. Lol
nitrous would be fun

edit: i just ordered the same cooler that you got can't wait to get it on when i receive it

Last edited by xxtheshockerxx; 08-05-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey did you just mount yours on the front of the radiator? i ask cus i just got my cooler today and was out looking at the front of my car
Old 08-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Ya, theres that support there in front of the radiator running down the middle, I just used the straps that came in the kit and secured it to that. Seems pretty sturdy. Getting the cooler down there was a giant PITA! Especially trying not to damage the fins, i just did the best I could. I didn't feel like taking the whole damn front end apart..
Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man. i just took off a couple pieces of plastic tonight just to get an idea of what i got myself into. looks like a pita to get down there with out taking the whole front apart.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Definitely, I just took the plastic cover and grill out. Then unbolted the right side plastic that was bolted to the radiator support. Then I kind of pulled back and jimmyd it in there, lol. I should have unbolted more stuff, but I was running out of time. I lost one of the clip nuts that hold the plastic to the supports, but it didn't seem badly needed. I cut the crap out of my arms, then it was so hot out, I should have thought twice about doing it. I figured it would be a piece of cake, but i guess in the end it will be well worth it.

Last edited by JWMayes; 08-10-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

yea i ziptied mine to that radiator support, and my fins werent pretty either oh well its down there and it works great!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Pics?? So I'll know what i'm gonna get myself into!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Launching!

I didn't take any. There wasn't much to take a pic of, and I was in a hurry. I believe there is a sticky at the top of the forum that has a link to some pics a guy took for his "hot-to", thats what I followed.

I got her completely hooked up today! I put the temp sensor on a tee fitting between the lines coming out of the cooler and into the trans. Seems to work like a charm! No leaks as of yet, when I was going down the street, I was waiting for the lines to blow off, lol, but they seem fine. Temps didn't even seem to reach 180* at all today but once, and that was sitting at a red light forever, in the middle of city driving. Did some highway driving and the temps seemed to average 150*, and raised to about 170* when I got off the highway because of the air flow. I am happy!!! I will need to take some pics here in the next few days of everything.

Last edited by JWMayes; 08-10-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome. glad to hear it works good about how much fluid did you need to add? was the hook up hard at all?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Launching!

I added a full quart, I am going to keep an eye on it. The dip stick is hard to check, because when i filled it up, it kept picking up fluid off the side of the tube. Otherwise, hooking the hoses up was a piece of cake. Almost to good to be true, that's why I'm waiting for them to fall off, lol. I'm just a little paranoid when it comes to the trans, if you can't tell.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the info it will help me out alot when i get around to getting mine on

i have been paranoid about the trans too. i should have never joined all these forums it makes you think about all the stuff you hear alot more
Old 08-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Im pretty sure my fittings are leaking
Old 08-13-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would try some bigger hose clamps. i noticed the ones they gave you in the install kit arent very wide
Old 08-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Ya, I actually only had 1 clamp on each side too. I took my tee fitting off and made sure everything was tight, i think that may have been what it was. When i put it back together, I went ahead and put more clamps on, i actually picked up fuel injection hose clamps at advance, they don't rip into the rubber like the regular ones do, so I was able to make them tighter. We shall see how this does, I know taking them hose barbs out was a bitch and a half, so I dont see how those were leaking.