LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Plastidip questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastidip questions

Have any impala owners done it to the front grill? Did you take them off or leave them on? And if you took them off how the hell did you get the bottom one off?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Location: Origionally-Winnipeg Manitoba, Currently-Fort McMurray Alberta

Originally Posted by Vectus
Have any impala owners done it to the front grill? Did you take them off or leave them on? And if you took them off how the hell did you get the bottom one off?
I didn't plastidip mine but I painted it, to get it out you have to take out the splash guard under the bumper, theres 3 bolts and like 10 clip things you have to take out to get the splash guard out. (if i remember correctly, some of the clips will be in the wheel well)

once you get that splash guard out you will be able to get at the clips in the back of the grille.

now the easy way to do this is to take out the whole grille, you will notice the grille comes apart in two pieces, theres the black mesh inside and the chrome trim part. Take those apart and put the black mesh back onto the car.

when you re install the splash guard there will be two smaller splash guards inside the fog light areas, I left them out till I got the guard fully installed, then put the smaller fog light splash guards back in through the fog light port on the front.

once you have your chrome trim painted or dipped, you can just clip it back onto the mesh part thats on the car.

This is a pic of it being taken apart. its a bit of work but looks good in the end.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about the chorme trim or the grills,chrome grills pop off real easy.I plastidip mine and they came out great
Old 08-14-2011, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Are you talking about the chorme trim or the grills,chrome grills pop off real easy.I plastidip mine and they came out great
hmmm.. i had tried to just pop it out but it would never come out for me.. i'll have to give it another try.

I ended up having to pry all the clips apart from the back to get it out..

oh wait, I see what your saying, so instead of taking the whole thing out you just took out the chrome bit? well that sounds a hell of a lot easier than what i did lol
Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

I like your semi-write up though Lunchbox! I've been wanting to paint the chrome as well as redo the mesh cause its starting to fade a bit.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
I like your semi-write up though Lunchbox! I've been wanting to paint the chrome as well as redo the mesh cause its starting to fade a bit.
I agree thanks for taking the time to do that, and the picture haha it really helps give me an idea as to how long itll take.

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT

I'm going to try this first, i eventually want to do the grills too since mine are also starting to fade but i really want to take care of that chrome, i really hate it.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
yeah i wanted to touch up the black mesh too, but with paint it would have taken a long time.. i've got this mothers back to black stuff i'm going to be using on it when I get a chance. I used it on my manifold cover and it really darkened it up..

I just don't really wanna be seen sitting with a q-tip going into every slot on the mesh, lol my neighbors think I'm a nut already, every other day i'm under the car or have it up on jacks.

If I get around to doing it i'll take before and after pics for you guys.

Originally Posted by Vectus
I'm going to try this first, i eventually want to do the grills too since mine are also starting to fade but i really want to take care of that chrome, i really hate it.
you might be able to get the whole mesh out by popping the chrome trim off as 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT mentioned, then going after the black mesh bit, i'm pretty sure taking off that trim exposes the clips for the black mesh part.