LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Potential 3" Exhaust Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential 3" Exhaust Group Buy

Disclaimer::: this is just a feeler not an actual group buy...and I am not associated with the company at all just trying to make this happen for everyone:::

So Alabamaguy found a great deal on a full 2.5" or 3" mandrel bent, aluminumized or stainless setup on http://www.overkillengineeringmotors...-exhaust1.html problem is it was for the older (91-98) W body cars.

I followed up with a few e-mails and pictures to the company president asking about fitment on the LS4 he said without "extensive modding" that system will not work. He went on to say that they will have something available in the next few months at similar prices and that if enough people are interested he can make it happen sooner...

So here I am looking for people who would possibly be interested in a 2.5" or 3" setup IF and only IF the price point at or below below those prices shown on the website. I believe it's $289.99 for the stainless with 3" and free shipping, and like $60 bucks less for aluminumized. I think it would have to drop below $250 for 3" to generate any interest especially since it's minus a resonator, mufflers and tips.

As of right now there are 3 people interested including myself, the owner said he was shooting for 10 or more. I asked specifically about price points and explained to him that if it wasn't competitive with the off-the-shelf Magnaflow system in terms of total cost people probably wouldn't be interested. It could be a while though before they establish a solid price.

So for now I'm just looking for names of those who may be interested if the price is right. Not sure what the rules on group buy stuff are so if a moderator wants to fill me in on that it would be appreciated. I'm just relaying info here.

If you are potentially interested add your name and 2.5"/3" and aluminumized vs. stainless preference so I can relay preference. I'll update as I get more information.

I'm in for the 3" stainless.

INITIAL TALLY

3"
Redlightrampage
Alabamaguy
20SS06
xdynasty725x
1Fast7
LS4:20
Hawkins04
Deimos
WhiteGXP313
1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
GXP25
Mpgeagle
Supercatxr7

FM1R sold his car I believe but I will follow up.

06REDROCKET are you interested if he can only do full 3" or possibly full 2.5"?

TheJPGXP he may be able to do the single exit I'll find out soon.

If I missed anyone or someone on the list is no longer interested just shoot me a PM or just add a post and I'll update it.

Last edited by redlightrampage; 10-30-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: TALLY
Old 08-15-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

3" to 2.5" Y split for use with mufflers that have a 2.5" offset input.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im down for the group buy,"ifs it under $300".
Dom
3" into 2-1/2"
Old 08-16-2011, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Single 3" exiting on the pass' side and I'm in.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:43 AM
Launching!

I'm in for the 3" stainless!!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't realize that these people are in Longwood, FL.

I'll take a drive tomorrow to see if they can take measurements off of my car.

EDIT: Aluminum versus Stainless Steel. Can anyone elaborate on the pros versus cons?

Last edited by GXP25; 08-16-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added some more info.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

I know aluminum is cheaper, doesn't last as long because of it's rusty tendencies depending on your environment and would probably weigh less I would guess, heat would dissipate much quicker I think. Stainless has some different thermal properties, generally runs hotter and needs better design because of the heat issues, more durable and stronger though.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aluminized just means regular steel is dipped in aluminum. This gives it better anti-corrosion properties. Stainless is the way to go. Especially at these prices. I am in BTW if it is the described price or lower.

-Mike
Old 08-17-2011, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

3" stainless, and if there good sounded exhausts
Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Teching In

I may be interested in a 3" Stainless kit..
Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

I'm in for 3" stainless.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Still waiting to hear back from them, nothing new to report. It could be a while esp since they don't have anything developed yet. Not sure how peculiar he is going to want to get with preferences, they may just say X amount for 3" or X amount for 2.5", don't know if they will want to make a bunch of peculiar systems if the group buy materializes, which I can understand right the point is to produce the same system in bulk to save everyone some money.

If I hear anything I'll throw it up here.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Ok so less than a minute after I posted I got this in my inbox:

"Looking good. I will let you know soon on a estimate price. Should be around the ball park you mentioned. As far as time frame goes, I think 2-3 months to get a system done is what we are looking at. If this is to long of a time frame let me know and I will see what I can do.

Mark"

Sounds hopeful! Hope we can make this happen!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw Mark today at around 4:30pm. Great guy.

He's going to wait on the guy who's doing the mandrel bending for him; the guy's in Miami. Once it's here, he'll test fit it on my car, make sure everything's perfect.

I'm thinking two different things here: One standard 3" from the catalytic converter two a 2.5" Y-pipe and one 3" from the catalytic converter to a 3" Y-pipe.

He wanted to know around how many people were interested. I told him twenty (20) or so.

So everyone who's in, "own" up so that redlightrampage can update the first post with a tally.

EDIT: Thanks to all of you who answered my question.

Another question: Would one exhaust fit all the LS4 vehicles or are there differences in the Y-pipes between the models? JP?

Last edited by GXP25; 08-17-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added some more info.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

dual tips on grand prixs rather than the singles?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GXP25

He's going to wait on the guy who's doing the mandrel bending for him; the guy's in Miami. Once it's here, he'll test fit it on my car, make sure everything's perfect.

I'm thinking two different things here: One standard 3" from the catalytic converter two a 2.5" Y-pipe and one 3" from the catalytic converter to a 3" Y-pipe.

He wanted to know around how many people were interested. I told him twenty (20) or so.

So everyone who's in, "own" up so that redlightrampage can update the first post with a tally.

Another question: Would one exhaust fit all the LS4 vehicles or are there differences in the Y-pipes between the models? JP?
Im down,but do we have a price yet?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GXP25

Well this is lining up way better than expected isn't it, lol. Frankly I was expecting it to kind of fall flat but **** we are off to the races on this thing.

Just comparing the 16727, 16726 Magnaflow systems everything is identical dimension wise except the Impala SS has dual split rear exists where the GXP has a quad split rear exist which isn't relevant here anyways. Sounds like the majority of people want 3" and a few want 3" to 2.5", but between those two groups I would say we cover the majority of people so I don't see anything wrong with that approach. Question is some people wanted aluminumized to save cost but if the stainless is cheap on the GB I don't see why they wouldn't switch? I'm guessing once development is done metal choice doesn't make a whole lot of difference so maybe they will accommodate.

Awesome that you stopped in there and lent them your car for demo, couldn't imagine a better situation to unfold on this, took all of the guess work right out of it, this could really pick up pace quick now...

Cool seeing the community coming together to make this happen.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Im down,but do we have a price yet?
No sir, still waiting. He said in the last e-mail that prices "should be around the ballpark you mentioned..", that was the 240-290 range shipped so I would expect it to fall in that area, hopefully on the low end of that because of all of the interest the thread is generating.

Might have to be a bit patient on this he's probably going to do some number crunching on the development costs to get a solid price point. I just hope it's cheaper than expected!

Last edited by redlightrampage; 08-18-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

I'm 100% in for this, 3" stainless all the way back! Especially if that price is solid! Now.. Can someone find out if they ship to Canada?

I just went and priced myself a custom 3" stainless exhaust with aluminum flanges and was quoted well over $500 to build/install it, plus the cost of materials..

Please make this happen and PLEASE SHIP TO CANADA!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghetto joe
dual tips on grand prixs rather than the singles?
No. This is from the catalytic converter to the mufflers.

So basically, a provide your own mufflers and tips affair.

Originally Posted by redlightrampage
Just comparing the 16727, 16726 Magnaflow systems everything is identical dimension wise except the Impala SS has dual split rear exists where the GXP has a quad split rear exist which isn't relevant here anyways.
So they are the same then? Even the Y section?

I don't think you can compare the Magnaflow kit because in the GXP kit, I believe that by changing everything out, they have altered the factory offset in/offset out muffler to a center in/center out.

Meh, maybe that other guy in Orlando with the SS could meet me up there one day.

Quick Reply: Potential 3" Exhaust Group Buy