LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

How to get dealer to cover my trans issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get dealer to cover my trans issue?

My TC is slipping and I really notice it at a steady speed of around 40mph with a very light load on it; rpm's jump a couple of hundred. Every time I have taken it to the dealer they have "found no problem". Is there anything else I can do because clearly, this is an issue.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tell them you want to take them for a ride
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Just run the crap out of the thing and get it to break before your warranty expires. That's just my .02, lol. Kind of what Im doing, I don't have a dealer warranty, but my trans guy warranties his transmissions for a year, so Im giving it hell.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

I've taken them on a drive once and the issue didn't happen. The other day it was really really bad, at like 5mph in a parking lot you can really feel it engaging and disengaging.
I don't want to drive it too hard because it already eats gas like a pig!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tell them about this bulletin. I'm not saying this is your problem or gonna fix your problem, but they may just want to do it anyway, instead of blowing you out the door.

Service Information 2008 Chevrolet Impala | Impala VIN W Service Manual | Document ID: 2079271
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#08-07-30-002A: Information on 4T65-E MN7, M15 and M76 Front Wheel Drive Automatic Transmission Valve Body Reconditioning DTCs P0741, P0742, P0757, P0842, Harsh Shifts or Slips - (Mar 12, 2008)

Subject: Information On 4T65-E MN7, M15 and M76 Front Wheel Drive Automatic Transmission Valve Body Reconditioning, DTCs P0741, P0742, P0757, P842, Harsh Shifts or Slips

Models: 2001-2005 Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue

2002-2007 Buick Rendezvous, Rendezvous AWD

2005-2007 Buick Terraza, Terraza EXT, Terraza 4WD

2005-2008 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse

2006-2008 Buick Lucerne

2001 Chevrolet Lumina

2001-2005 Chevrolet Venture, Venture EXT, Venture 4WD

2001-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2001-2008 Chevrolet Impala, Lumina (Export Only)

2005-2008 Chevrolet Uplander, Uplander EXT, Uplander 4WD

2001-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue

2001-2003 Oldsmobile Silhouette, Silhouette EXT

2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette EXT

2001-2005 Pontiac Montana, Montana EXT

2001-2005 Pontiac Aztek, Aztek AWD, Bonneville

2001-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

2002-2005 Pontiac Montana 4WD

2005-2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 (AWD)

2005-2008 Pontiac Montana SV6, Montana SV6 EXT

2005-2006 Saturn Relay, Relay AWD

2005-2007 Saturn Relay EXT

with Hydra-Matic® 4T65-E (RPOs - MN7, M15, M76) Automatic Transmission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being updated to include Related Service Document information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-07-30-002 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

The following new service information will aid technicians in providing easy to follow valve body reconditioning instructions and new illustrations to simplify reassembly of the valve body.

Related Service Document
Corporate Bulletin Number 02-07-30-013 : Incorrect Transmission Shifts, Poor Engine Performance, Harsh 1-2 Upshifts, Slips 1st and Reverse, Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Stuck Off/On, DTCs P0757, P0741, P0742, P0730, P0756.

Important: If valve body cleaning is not required, DO NOT disassemble bores unless it is necessary to verify movement of valves.

Inspection Procedure
•Using the exploded views in this bulletin, inspect each bore for freedom of valve(s) movement and evidence of debris. Pay particular attention to those valves related to the customer’s concern.
•Verify movement of the valves in their normal installed position. Valves may become restricted during removal or installation. This is normal due to small tolerances between the valves and bores.
•If a valve is restricted and cannot be corrected by cleaning the valve and bore, replace the valve body. Describe the restricted valve on the repair order.
Notice: Be sure all solenoids are installed with the electrical connectors facing the non-machined (cast) side of the valve body. Otherwise, the solenoids will bind against the transmission case as the valve body bolts are tightened and damage may occur.

Disassembly/Reassembly
•If a valve is restricted by a metal burr from machining that bore, remove the valve and burr, then inspect movement in the valve’s normal position. If no other debris or restrictions are found, reassemble the valve body and install in the transmission.
•If the valve body has been contaminated with debris from another transmission component failure, disassemble all bores for complete cleaning of all valve body components. If possible, keep individual bore parts separated for ease of reassembly. Use the following illustrations in this bulletin for a positive identification and location of individual parts:
• Left Side Control Valve Body Assembly

• Right Side Control Valve Body Assembly

• Control Valve Body Assembly Chart, Valve Springs and Bore Plugs

Caution: Use appropriate eye protection when cleaning the valve body to prevent injury.

•Using GM Brake Clean, or equivalent, in a safe and clean environment (clean aluminum pan) clean the valve body and dry it with compressed air.
•Clean individual valve body components with GM Brake Clean, or equivalent. Coat each valve with clean ATF and reassemble in each bore. Check each valve for free movement during assembly of each bore.
Left Side Control Valve Body Assembly
Old 08-25-2011, 04:30 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default They won't fix it till it's "Broke"

I drove mine for 6 months as it did all kinds of stupid crap like: slip bang from a stop, occasional stumbling at highway speeds, weird noises, etc. FINALLY it got bad enough that it would barely move under its own power. (TC Clutch slipping like crazy) Then they finally replaced it. I don't have a real aggressive personality, and I think that's what it will take to get them to fix it any sooner. So yes, by all means, break it. As mine got worse I made it a point to drive it hard in hopes of wearing it out sooner. Or keep pestering them to go for rides till it will screw up while they are in the car. Or just bitch relentlessly till someone helps you. I agree about taking the bulletin above in with you as well. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Same deal here... Got a GM certified (on a 60K mile car- YAY) and had to take to dealer b/c of slipping problems within a year - they charged $100 for diagnostic work and said it was 'fine' - cause ya know with a GXP, we just go to the dealer for no reason

Quick Reply: How to get dealer to cover my trans issue?