LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

rattling while decelerating ideas?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default rattling while decelerating ideas?

Ok guys my buddies '06 Impala SS has this weird rattling when slowing down and off the gas. It'll do it the whole time until its almost to a complete stop. After driving it a bit I started experimenting with ways to get it to act up or go away and found that as I'm slowing down and it starts rattling if I pop it in neutral it goes away immediately and after I put it back into drive it is gone completely until I slow down again. It almost sounds like valvetrain noise but the only time it does it is when he's slowing down. Car has done it since he bought it. Only mods is a K&N intake. Its an odd noise to say the least
Old 09-10-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car being a Chev you can simply drop the gear selector into 3rd for slowing down and it disables the DoD... and it puts the engine instantly into 8 cyl mode. If the noise disssapears while doing this it is the timing chain tensioner that is at fault. They have been known to break and fall into the pan.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Great... I'll have him try it and see what happens
Old 09-11-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Yep when he goes into 3rd and the car whips into V8 mode it goes away. I've never heard of this issue but i'm not real familiar with DoD cars/trucks either. What do you need to do to fix this issue?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what Born said is correct.. I had the same problem. it was called the DOD rattle ( only did it in 4cyl mode). I took it to the dealership and of course good old GM has a TSB about it saying its a normal engine condition . Dealership told me, sorry but there nothing we can do.. Well i was also in to get my oil pan replaced since it was leaking oil. Once they dropped the pan, as born said, a peice from the timing chain tensioner was laying in it.. They had to fix it then.. Whole thing got replaced and rattle gone.. If your buddy brings it in, make sure he tells them to drop the oil pan b/c if you dont, they will hang you the same TSB i got..
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

i had the same issue with DOD everytime it was engaged it sounded like non greased metal rubbing together. I disabled DOD with the tuner and now the noise is gone and the car is running a lot smoother. Best thing to do is shut that **** off all it does is cause problems.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys is it gonna wreck anything?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They...GM says no, I personally don`t buy it!

OPTIONS
-Take advantage of the third gear option during All decel situations.
-Turn the DoD OFF.
-Spend a few bucks on the part, lots more on the gaskets and balancer bolt and a whole lot more on the labor.(very time consuming job)
Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

let me add that i was still under the powertrain warrenty so i didnt have to pay anything.. If you warrenty is over, then yea, get it tuned out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rattling while decelerating ideas?