LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Wtf when it rains it pours

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wtf when it rains it pours

Well like the title says . Last Saturday I took the day off (which I rarely do) to take the family to do zoo. Half a mile before I get there this lady rear ended us on the highway when exiting , thank god everyone was ok car was totaled ( my wife's car ) . Well we have been sharing my car and just yesterday the damn clicking sound when you turn on the A/C started and today the headlights stopped working. I checked fuses bought new bulbs and wont turn on. Anyone have any suggestions as to what else to check ? Thanks
Old 09-11-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the relay for the headlights, it sounds like it's bad.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Check the relay for the headlights, it sounds like it's bad.
Well I swapped that one with one of the fan relays since they have the same number on them and still didnt work.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is some pics of the car's damage

Old 09-11-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Impala sure did get hit hard, it's good that all of you are ok.

The headlights are controlled by the BCM (body control module) so evidently it's bad.

Headlamps Malfunction

Circuit/System Description

The vehicle headlamps are controlled by the body control module (BCM) based on inputs from the headlamp switch and the turn signal/multifunction switch. The headlamp switch has four positions: Off, Auto, Park, and Headlamps. The default headlamp switch position is Auto, in which the BCM uses the ambient light sensor to determine when headlamps are needed. The Off portion of the headlamp switch is a momentary switch which overrides the automatic headlamps and will turn off the vehicle headlamps. When in the Off position, the headlamp switch grounds the headlamp switch headlamps off signal circuit, prompting the BCM to turn off the headlamps. The Park position of the headlamp switch will only illuminate the vehicle parking lamps. The Headlamp position of the headlamp switch will illuminate both the parking lamps, as well has the headlamps. With the headlamp switch in the Headlamp position, the headlamp switch headlamps on signal circuit is grounded, prompting the BCM to turn on the headlamps, regardless of other factors such as ambient light.

The headlamp high beams are controlled through the flash to pass switch and the headlamp dimmer switch, both located in the turn signal/multifunction switch. The flash to pass switch is a momentary type switch, designed to illuminate the high beams as long as the switch is held. With the switch closed, the flash to pass switch signal circuit is grounded, prompting the BCM to turn on the high beam lamps. The headlamp dimmer switch allows the operator to select between full time high or low beam operation. Unlike the flash to pass switch, it is not a momentary switch. When the headlamp dimmer switch is in the high beam position, the headlamp dimmer switch high beam signal circuit is grounded. This prompts the BCM to turn on the high beam lamps.

The BCM controls the headlamps based on the inputs explained above. When a low beam request is received, the BCM grounds the headlamp low beam relay control circuit. This energizes the coil in the LOW BEAM PCB relay, causing the relay switch to close. This then applies B+ to both low beam headlamps through the LT LO BEAM and RT LO BEAM fuses, illuminating the low beam headlamps. When a high beam request is received, the BCM grounds the headlamp high beam relay control circuit. This energizes the coil in the HIGH BEAM PCB relay, causing the relay switch to close. This then applies B+ to both high beam headlamps through the LT HI BEAM and RT HI BEAM fuses, illuminating the high beam headlamps.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Damn Chris!! Glad you guys are ok. I hate driving down there in the valley, the people there can't drive for ****!

Watch my video about your ac tick. If it helps cool, if you need more help with it then shoot me a text message and I'll help you out as much as I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_GZNbP4mwo
Old 09-11-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Impala sure did get hit hard, it's good that all of you are ok.

The headlights are controlled by the BCM (body control module) so evidently it's bad.

Headlamps Malfunction

Circuit/System Description

Thanks for the help!! Is it hard to replace? Tomorrow I will call the stealership to see how much it costs.
Originally Posted by ImpSS07
Damn Chris!! Glad you guys are ok. I hate driving down there in the valley, the people there can't drive for ****!

Watch my video about your ac tick. If it helps cool, if you need more help with it then shoot me a text message and I'll help you out as much as I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_GZNbP4mwo
Yeah I know you what you mean. And to top it off found out the lady didnt have insurance ,good thing I have full coverage . Thanks David for your help buddy I will text you if I have any questions on the AC tick fix.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

The BCM is under the dash in your car. It tells you how to replace it below.

Preliminary Procedure

1. Remove the left closeout panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side .
2. Program the body control module after replacement. Refer to Control Module References .

Module Assembly, Body Control Module (BCM)

Tip
Release the tabs on the BCM bracket and lift the module up and out.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The BCM is under the dash in your car. It tells you how to replace it below.

Preliminary Procedure

1. Remove the left closeout panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side .
2. Program the body control module after replacement. Refer to Control Module References .

Module Assembly, Body Control Module (BCM)

Tip
Release the tabs on the BCM bracket and lift the module up and out.

Thanks again man for your help !!! Really hope the part isnt too expensive.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Called the stealership today and price for BCM (Body Control Module) is 290 plus 130 to program. Fck that I'm going to have to use my car in the daylight for a least a week more till I gather up the funds.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's possible you could find a used BCM cheaper on Ebay or from Ed Morad Parts.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's possible you could find a used BCM cheaper on Ebay or from Ed Morad Parts.
Thanks man, why didnt I think of that. Well I called the local junkyard and found one for 60 plus the guy knows someone from the dealership that will charge me 60 to program it.

Sorry for the stupid question but will the car be driveable when I install the other BCM before it is programmed. I will have to drive it 10 miles to get it programmed.Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car should be driveable, basically all they do is program it to match your VIN. $120 programmed is a good deal for the BCM, much better than what the dealer wants.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car should be driveable, basically all they do is program it to match your VIN. $120 programmed is a good deal for the BCM, much better than what the dealer wants.
Thanks man, you have been of great help. I greatly appreciate it !!!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to help, let us know how it works out. You'll probably have to reprogram the keyless remote(s) and tire pressure sensors since that info is stored in the BCM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Update

Well I put the used BCM and lights still didnt work. So I figured it needed to be programmed but had a doubt about that. So I went to the local auto parts and bought an electrical tester. Checked fuses and relays again everything checked ok. So I took out the light bulbs checked for power and tester turned on , so I was like wtf? I noticed that the bulb looked burned ( I had bought these new two days ago but noticed the package was already opened but since it was the last one I said fck it) then took of the next and bulb was burnt too. I think someone returned these with the burnt ones inside ( DAMN BASTARDS) So I went to return these and got some new ones , this time I checked they were sealed. Put them on and lights turned on. Im glad I went with my instinct to check everything again.

On a side note , when I installed the original BCM back check engine came on. I took it for a spin and noticed the tranny shifting soft instead of firm like how it was. Then after a while it started to shift firm again. Anyone have any ideas? Will I have to retune maybe ?Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's pretty strange about the burnt out new bulbs. The BCM isn't tuned, the ECM/PCM are tuned and you didn't touch that.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's pretty strange about the burnt out new bulbs. The BCM isn't tuned, the ECM/PCM are tuned and you didn't touch that.
No I didnt, just disconnected the battery and switched the bcm twice. When I put the used BCM from the junkyard I got a whole bunch of messages, air bag service, oil change, tire pressures were not reading.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you disconnected your battery for any period of time, it's possible that the TCM memory was cleared and had to relearn your riving habits and conditions. These transmissions are adaptive and will take some to learn when the memory is cleared. This would explain your temporary soft-shift condition.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
If you disconnected your battery for any period of time, it's possible that the TCM memory was cleared and had to relearn your riving habits and conditions. These transmissions are adaptive and will take some to learn when the memory is cleared. This would explain your temporary soft-shift condition.
That makes sense , after driving it today for awhile started to shift firm again but that damn check engine light is still on

Quick Reply: Wtf when it rains it pours