LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Results - Hayden Tranny Cooler Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Results - Hayden Tranny Cooler Install

Ok so I did the Hayden transmission cooler per write up from '7psi' that is in the sticky above.

So before the cooler install I would see temps of 190-212 degrees or so when driving around town, not beating on it. The fluid is brand new just for reference.

After the cooler install I drove it around a bit today to test it out; in normal driving I see temps around 185-197, if I get on it a bit it went up to 203 but not any higher than that. The outside temp is around 60 degrees.

Is this normal? Or should the temps be lower? I have heard people with temps down in the 170s?

The vehicle in question is an 08 GXP with 70k miles, totally stock.

The only notable issue with the tranny is that under a slight load in 4th gear it will hesitate and the rpms will bounce a bit, once it kicks down its fine. No other issues that I know of.

I have ready all the threads on here about these trannys too; the problems are endless. Shrug.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

i "think" that slight hesitation/ rpm bounce in 4th gear is maybe DOD ?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I have read that it could be DOD, hopefully that is the case. For the record I drove around town for quite some time today and the temps never got over 180 degrees, that is just babying it around in 50 degree weather.

So I guess I will just continue to monitor the temps and see what happens.

I still have a stock t-stat in the car so at full operating temp I can't see the trans temps being any less than 170-180 degrees since that is what the coolant is, right?

Quick Reply: Results - Hayden Tranny Cooler Install