LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

SS at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS at the Glen

Folks,
I was able to go to Watkins Glen International over the weekend and did a few laps in my Impala SS. My wife captured a video of the first lap on our camera:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=518393025844

The rules were that we couldn't pass anyone, particularly the pace car. The pace car (a late-model Camaro RS) was supposed to keep it to 55mph, but the guys in front of me (a 2004 Mustang GT and a 2011 VW GTI) convinced him to put the hammer down. We got up over 105 on the front stretch (by the start/finish line) before a good right hand turn. Slowing from 105 to 40 to make the turn took all the brakes I had and wound up warping the rotors, so I'll be getting in on that Brakemotive deal shortly.

The two drivers in front of me were shocked that I was able to keep up with them. My wife shot right back that if it weren't for her screaming for me to slow down, I would have been able to pass them easily.

It was a lot of fun and the cost of the track time was only $25 (plus the cost of the pads and rotors I'll be buying shortly) and the weather was absolutely perfect. I hope you enjoy the video.

Wes
Old 10-10-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

You lucky dog great vid
Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Teching In

That is pretty cool.

Are there any tracks in New York (or the country for that matter) that let you run full boar? Minus drag strips.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by demonspeeder1
That is pretty cool.

Are there any tracks in New York (or the country for that matter) that let you run full boar? Minus drag strips.
Sure. You can go nuts at the Glen if you want to rent the facility. I've a buddy who is part of an Audi club that rents the track for a day every summer and they go nuts (well, the rest of them do.. he drives a Saturn ).

Alternatively, you can participate in the Trackmasters program they run there in your own car, but you'll need to tech-in. There's more information at:

https://www.trackmasters.com/Page.asp?Script=1

I hope to participate in their driving school some year soon--it looks like a lot of fun..

For what it's worth, they had a club event going on there (I think it was NESCCA) when we arrived and we watched them for about an hour. They were a lot of fun to watch. They had the results from an NESCCA event that was there in September (17th..18th) and the fastest lap there was 2:16 with an average speed above 89mph. Our fastest lap (which could have been faster, mind you (I was being influenced to drive more cautiously..)) was around 3:40 and we got over 80 twice and I managed to warp my rotors in the process, so I hesitate to say that my car wasn't in racing form.

I noticed that several other tracks out here have similar programs (Loudon, NH, for example), as well as more famous courses like Road Atlanta, Sonoma, Road America, Sebring, etc. so I would imagine that there are other options out there, depending on how far you want to travel. We were just really lucky to find a place 2 hours from home and have a pace car with a heavy foot..and have such beautiful weather (76 degrees and sunny in October! We usually see our first snow before Halloween.)

Wes
Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Oh wow.

Thanks for the info, hopefully someday. (Maybe after a few more mods)
Old 10-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Oh wow.

Thanks for the info, hopefully someday. (Maybe after a few more mods)
Yeah, it would be fun to go back. Maybe a group of folks could split the cost of renting the track for a day? By my count, there are several of us within 4 hours of Watkins Glen (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Utica, etc.) and it could be a lot of fun.

I agree about the mods--I had all kinds of power, but I felt like I needed more brakes, tire grip, and roll resistance, even with the Don Rome Strut Tower Braces and polyurethane sway bar bushings and end links. If money were no object, I would upgrade with the mods 08RedSS listed in his (now sticky) post titled "Impala SS Bilstein BMR ZZ GXP Suspension Upgrades Done!"

Wes
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Teching In

QUOTE=wesdean78;15494679]Yeah, it would be fun to go back. Maybe a group of folks could split the cost of renting the track for a day? By my count, there are several of us within 4 hours of Watkins Glen (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Utica, etc.) and it could be a lot of fun.

I agree about the mods--I had all kinds of power, but I felt like I needed more brakes, tire grip, and roll resistance, even with the Don Rome Strut Tower Braces and polyurethane sway bar bushings and end links. If money were no object, I would upgrade with the mods 08RedSS listed in his (now sticky) post titled "Impala SS Bilstein BMR ZZ GXP Suspension Upgrades Done!"

Wes[/QUOTE]

Haha, I think you're on to something.

I'd really like those coilovers from West Shore. (They have trailing arms and strut braces too.) I think those, control arms, and some better tires would just about do it.

Or we could just do a rear wheel drive conversion....

I keeid, I keeid.

But seriously we should propose that sometime. Maybe do that and a meet, have a little bbq and some cold ones after.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Demonspeeder1 Why is your headers still in the box?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Damn dude you picked a perfect weekend for it! 80ish degrees is mid Oct. in Upstate NY is just crazy. I would've been cruising around on my bike but went to the Eagles/Bills game in Buffalo instead.

I would definitely be down for making a day out of this. I live just north of Syracuse and I'm always traveling to the Watkins Glen area for the state parks and all of the wineries around the Finger Lakes. Great areas for a cruise as well. Beautiful scenery around the lakes especially in the fall and plenty of open roads for lining our ladies up
Old 10-11-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am in Rochester and would get in on that, provided the cost isn't exorbitant. Sounds like fun.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Demonspeeder1 Why is your headers still in the box?
Well, I attempted to put them on once and I couldn't get a nut on the cross pipe off so I just put everything back together and I'd get some new bolts, gaskets and stuff just in case i break anything. (let's hope not) It's just been about finding the time. But it's happening this winter for sure now that I'll have a winter rat along with an ls6 intake swap. Speaking of which I heard you need an adapter (something about it clearing the headers?) You wouldn't happen to have any info on that would you?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hahaha...Saw you pass the Bus Stop...Cool stuff, man!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

...But it's happening this winter for sure now that I'll have a winter rat along with an ls6 intake swap. Speaking of which I heard you need an adapter (something about it clearing the headers?) You wouldn't happen to have any info on that would you?
Sorry, I don't have any details on that project. I want to do it this coming spring / summer. Ideally, I really like to do rocker arms, springs, pushrods, and new (non-DoD) lifters at the same time.... but, on the flip side, I also want to do some major suspension work as well, especially after this past weekend.

..and brakes..

So many projects, so little time (and money)...

Wes
Old 10-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

I've an email in to the folks at the Glen asking about facility rental. They have several options listed on their web site:

- Thunder Road (what we did, although the rules are a 55mph speed limit... our pace car driver was "convinced" to give us a little more than that, but there's no guarantee that we wouldn't get Grandpa Moses who wants to go 50 on the straights..)

- Lap 'N' Lunch.. no details on this yet, but it looks something like the Thunder Road option, but they can also cater a lunch (or dinner):

"Looking for something fun? Take a few laps around the world famous Watkins Glen International and then enjoy a nice catered lunch or dinner with your car club members or closest friends."

- Track Rental... or we could rent the whole track out and go nuts. This is probably the most expensive option, but probably also the most intense. They also specify that they'll rent to "recognized motorsports organizations" which probably precludes us:

"The track is available for rental to recognized motorsports organizations."

If they allow us to rent the track, we may have to tech-in before getting out on the track.

For what it's worth, they have a driving school (Trackmasters) that allows drivers to drive their own cars provided they pass inspection. Their inspection form for 2011 is online:

https://www.trackmasters.com/2011doc...Inspection.pdf

Also, assuming they let us on the track at all, there's a lengthy contract and waiver everyone has to sign basically stating that if anything happens, it's not their problem.

Wes
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey don't forget about us Canadians, lol. Went to Watson's glen a couple of years ago for a Rolex race, its not that far from Toronto and its a great facility.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by higsy
Hey don't forget about us Canadians, lol. Went to Watson's glen a couple of years ago for a Rolex race, its not that far from Toronto and its a great facility.
I can't forget about our Canadian breatheren... (especially when most of my wife's family is Canadian!)

Wes

Quick Reply: SS at the Glen