LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Trans service ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans service ?

I just rolled 79k mi and was at the gas station checking the fluids and noticed the trans fluid is getting pretty dark. I doubt it has ever been serviced since I bought it with 51k mi.

Im just wondering if I should get it serviced or leave it alone. Id hate to see it start slipping after the fluid change.

Any advice?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Replace it. If it's turning colors, it's old and worn out, and will only lead to problems if you neglect it. Put a tranny cooler on while you're at it, I bought mine but have yet to figure out where I'm gonna put it
Old 10-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

why on earth would I replace a perfectly operating transmission for no reason? thats like putting your house up for sale because one day you might eventually want to move.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by k9t8m
why on earth would I replace a perfectly operating transmission for no reason? thats like putting your house up for sale because one day you might eventually want to move.
I think he was suggesting that you replace the fluid, not the whole trans. At least that's how I read it.

Anyway, replace the fluid ASAP and get a cooler. It can only help extend it's life. Be sure to do a fluid change where the pan is dropped and the filter replaced, too. DO NOT DO A FLUID FLUSH, as it has been known to wipe out a higher mileage trans.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, i meant the fluid. Sorry for the confusion haha. While we're on this topic though is there a "better" fluid we can put in the tranny, like a synthetic or something? I know nothing about transmissions except they always go before the engine does and they're expensive to replace (my 4t60 in my Cadillac was $2300 for a rebuild)
Old 10-23-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gxpintn
Yeah, i meant the fluid. Sorry for the confusion haha. While we're on this topic though is there a "better" fluid we can put in the tranny, like a synthetic or something? I know nothing about transmissions except they always go before the engine does and they're expensive to replace (my 4t60 in my Cadillac was $2300 for a rebuild)
Just use a name-brand Dexron VI fluid, which is a synthetic hybrid. Don't use a pure synthetic, as it will make your trans slip.