LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

O/T any input on 1st Gen. Saturn Vue?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/T any input on 1st Gen. Saturn Vue?

hey guys winter is right around the corner (I always store the GXP) and I'm thinking of picking up a '04 Saturn Vue Redline AWD with 117k on the clock for around 5 grand. Guy down my street is selling it. I know the car needs brakes and at least front tires (but ill most likely get 4 winter tires), but other then that does any know any other issues that were common with this model? Also if any one has ever owned one before any comments would be great.

Thanks in advance...

Brendon
Old 10-26-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those came with the Honda 3.5 V6/5 speed auto combination. That particular transmission gave Honda headaches for years, so you might want to find out if it's been replaced or rebuilt.

Other than that, sounds like a cool winter "beater!"
Old 10-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Teching In

DIDO TO THAT.... AWD Vue's = Bad, expensive trans just be carefull.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

5,000 grand is a good deal. itll be perfect for the winter. i would get it, just get it checked out
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

I had fun in my brother's Vue a few winters ago. The only problem he has had was a bad thermostat the cost $300 to fix. Apparently the whole top half of the motor had to be removed to get to the thermostat housing. You could probably find a 4x4 blazer or 4 runner for the same price.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys for all the great responses I really appreciate everyone who has chimed in thus far. As an update I spoke to the gentleman who is selling the SUV last night about any former transmission issues. Wouldn't you know it, it is on it's second transmission (THANKS ALOT LS1 FOR A GREAT TIP ). The guy told me the first one went last year with 103k on it and he had it re-built at a local transmission shop with "several upgraded components". He also claims that he has all documentation for that repair and that it goes with the car. He of course said would allow me to have a look at said documentation before I purchased the SUV.

To be honest I'm a little that he wouldn't of came up front about that in the first place, but in hi-sight I suppose he didn't want to scare off potential buyers with something he fells was fixed properly.

So i guess my follow up question is does anybody by chance know the specifics of what was prone to failure in these transmissions? Any info. would be great as it would save me a few hours going through google hits. Plus I want to know what to look for when I see what "components" were "upgraded".
Old 11-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Well update time....

After a little with the seller we finally agreed on a sale price of $3,000 as there was a problem with the AWD system I had to get fixed.

So for a sale price of $3,000 then another $1,500 for all 4 rotors and pads, 4 new tires, a wheel sensor, and two wheel assemblies for the AWD system I have a 2004 sub-lime Green AWD Saturn Vue Redline sitting in my drive way ready for a Michigan winter.

http://s1036.photobucket.com/albums/...0SAturn%20Vue/

Other then having to get used to the color of it lol, i have to say that thing moves pretty good for what it is. The first time I hammered down on it I was very surprised by the amount of power that honda motor had.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice...i just detailed a redline vue just like that last week
Old 11-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mom has an 03 Vue. Has around 80k miles on it now. It's just an extra car here now that's used if everyone's going somewhere, or to move my parents sea doo/atv trailers.

It's lasted very well, and has ran without any problems the entire time she's had it since new.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O/T any input on 1st Gen. Saturn Vue?