LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Filling up and its stopping like its full.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling up and its stopping like its full.

ok did a search and found this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-pump-gas.html

Sounds about the same as what I am having. I have to play around with it to get it to fill up to 1/2 tank.

Also my DIC said "check gas cap" And now the engien light is on because of it??

Just wondering if there is anything anyone know whats going on. Or if there is a way to get the code from the car to see what the code is.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my old 2003 monte carlo had this problem too. never found out why tho. hope someone can chime in
Old 11-24-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have any work fine recently? Sometimes an evap line gets kinked and does this. longshot though.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Launching!

This would happen to me in my old grand am, I got gas at the same place and it was only with a couple pumps there, other pumps worked fine. Stupid question but have you tried another gas station?
Old 11-25-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rm08gxp
This would happen to me in my old grand am, I got gas at the same place and it was only with a couple pumps there, other pumps worked fine. Stupid question but have you tried another gas station?
my 05 gxp does similar things. its strange i really cant fill up at any quick trips, but mobil, and any other station works fine.

what it does is just shut off right after it starts pumping. the only way i've found to get around it was apply constant pressure to the pump
Old 11-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Launching!

I've noticed that some pumps will do this to me as well. Mostly Sunoco stations...as I'm filling up the pump shuts off like it's full and I have to start over again. Pisses me off So when this happens I rotate the handle a little bit and that usually solves the problem. I think it's the shape of the nozzle that Sunoco uses which causes this to happen.

EDIT: OP, did you leave the car running while filling up?
Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smile

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
Have any work fine recently? Sometimes an evap line gets kinked and does this. longshot though.
Nope no work on the car in that area.

Originally Posted by rm08gxp

Yes I have and so far the same thing.

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
my 05 gxp does similar things. its strange i really cant fill up at any quick trips, but mobil, and any other station works fine.

what it does is just shut off right after it starts pumping. the only way i've found to get around it was apply constant pressure to the pump
Yes tried that. and it sounds like what happened to me. But yea tried all the positions and it keeps stoping the pump??? Tried keeping it firm up against the filler and partway out everything.

Question where is the evap line?

Originally Posted by JessmoMonteSS
I've noticed that some pumps will do this to me as well. Mostly Sunoco stations...as I'm filling up the pump shuts off like it's full and I have to start over again. Pisses me off So when this happens I rotate the handle a little bit and that usually solves the problem. I think it's the shape of the nozzle that Sunoco uses which causes this to happen.

EDIT: OP, did you leave the car running while filling up?
No I always shut the car off. Never leave it on. Will try another station just to see. Just odd. I can not go past 5 seconds without it popping off.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Sometimes the pump will cause this to happen, or insufficent funds in my account when using my card.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

I had the exact same problem I posted it on here about a year ago. Do you have to wait for the gas to go down before you can pump again? I'm looking at the paper work right now they changed the evap vent valve solenoid but I still had the problem then they replaced the evap vent valve and that fixed it.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can pump the fuel slowly and it doesnt stop, its the evap valve... I thought I had a similar problem in my 99 TA but it was because I was left my car running while I fueled up. (My kids were in the car and it was hot outside.) Try centering the ring on the pump nozzle to the neck of the tank... go slow and see if it still cuts off...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

To the op.... Follow the advice of whoever said to go to another gas station. I work for QuikTrip (a large gas retailer here in KC) and we constantly have that problem with our pumps. We just have our facility support department come out and service our pumps to where the auto-shut off valve will not kick in like that. I am pretty sure it is not your car and just the station that you are using. If you live near a market where a QT is located, tell them and they will correct the problem. Plus, I get a hefty bonus if more and more of you shop there!!!! Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WhiteGXP313
I had the exact same problem I posted it on here about a year ago. Do you have to wait for the gas to go down before you can pump again? I'm looking at the paper work right now they changed the evap vent valve solenoid but I still had the problem then they replaced the evap vent valve and that fixed it.

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
If you can pump the fuel slowly and it doesnt stop, its the evap valve... I thought I had a similar problem in my 99 TA but it was because I was left my car running while I fueled up. (My kids were in the car and it was hot outside.) Try centering the ring on the pump nozzle to the neck of the tank... go slow and see if it still cuts off...
YUP..I did do everything above to troubleshoot and finally just pulled the nozzle out just enough to see why it was stopping. Yea it was like I was overfilling. I had to wait for the gas to go into the tank. So it is the car. hmmm..ok..so whats the cost to get this fixed? On average. White what did you pay?

Originally Posted by 1BAD06MCSS
To the op.... Follow the advice of whoever said to go to another gas station. I work for QuikTrip (a large gas retailer here in KC) and we constantly have that problem with our pumps. We just have our facility support department come out and service our pumps to where the auto-shut off valve will not kick in like that. I am pretty sure it is not your car and just the station that you are using. If you live near a market where a QT is located, tell them and they will correct the problem. Plus, I get a hefty bonus if more and more of you shop there!!!! Hope this helps.
We dont have those up here.

But thanks guys for all the help.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not certain but I believe there is a charcoal canister that the vent tube goes into and its supposed to vent into the intake, there is a 1way valve inline that may have some crap in it... there should be two lines going into your intake, one to the fuel rail and the other goes into the TB.. disconnect the TB one and see what happens.. I THINK thats the vent line... it should go to the AIR system, smog or something along those lines... I cant be certain since I have no AIR system anymore....Im just guessing...

I think its this one..

Old 12-02-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know how much it was, it was all covered under warranty.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

GM part# 25932568 is the vent valve for your car. List price through the dealer is 69.90. The valve is bolted to a small bracket, has one electrical connector and then attaches to a vent pipe that connects to the evap canister.

Quick Reply: Filling up and its stopping like its full.