LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Oil consumption: GM's official fix for the LS4

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's such a minor thing... you don't even really need to do it. Don't let this scare you off.

The driver's information center has an oil monitor--it monitors how fresh the oil is and notifies you when you need to change it. At 50% use, which happens after about 3500 to 4000 miles, you have two options.

1) Get a $19.99 oil change somewhere. Our cars use regular 5w30 cheap oil made from dinosaurs.

2) Be prepared to need to add around 2 cups of oil sometime between 50% and 40%, which is a 1 minute process. There is a small nitch in the trunk with a small cargo net that is perfectly suited to holding a quart of oil. A quart of oil is around $6 at Walmart. I use Castrol 5w30.

It seriously is such a minor deal.

I am currently at 42% on my DIC and I had to add 2 cups of oil last week because it told me it was low. I normally get my oil changed at around 50%, but I've been busy/lazy. I have gone approximately 4,400 miles since my last oil change. My oil is mostly dark brown, so it is due for changing anyway. Don't give the DIC oil monitor too much credit--if you run the car to where it says 0% you're probably going to be dealing with extremely dirty oil, and why bother? Just go ahead and spend the 20 to 30 bucks and get it changed.

Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with DoD. The hotrodding guys just don't like it. If you use the GXP as your daily driver, you're going to want to keep it. It's good. It expends such a tiny amount of oil that it is seriously not even worth concerning yourself with.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not such a minor thing when you get up there in miles. I'm being told I need to replace pistons/rings or get rebuilt engine due to the damage done by the fuel management system. Plugs are covered in oil and are failing. I have a 2006 Grand Prix GXP with 162K miles, single owner, followed all schedule maintenance. I would love to hear if anyone else had run into this. At this point I'm looking to just keep replacing plugs as a temporary fix until it's time for a new car, just put $3K into it last year for a rebuilt transmission, not ready for another $3K for a rebuilt engine!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wdblosser
It's not such a minor thing when you get up there in miles. I'm being told I need to replace pistons/rings or get rebuilt engine due to the damage done by the fuel management system. Plugs are covered in oil and are failing. I have a 2006 Grand Prix GXP with 162K miles, single owner, followed all schedule maintenance. I would love to hear if anyone else had run into this. At this point I'm looking to just keep replacing plugs as a temporary fix until it's time for a new car, just put $3K into it last year for a rebuilt transmission, not ready for another $3K for a rebuilt engine!
Have you considered turning off the dod?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Not to thread jack but I've been keeping an eye out on my trans temp as well as my oil consumption. I've been about 115-128 on trans temp and about 1.5-2 quarts down every 2000 miles. Thats really scaring me and I only have 81000 on it. I did have a engine oil pressure switch fail and I replaced it so after I get oil changed i'll update. Wanted to trade it but wife said to keep it. My next thing is deciding on after market rims, to go with 18x8 or 18x7 all the round and the size tires to use.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Teching In

I bought my 06 GP GXP with 59K on it. I had no idea it would burn oil like it did. 1/2 quart every 500 miles. No oil on the ground, but would puff out the exhaust when I nailed it. I did the oil pan gasket fix and ran seafoam through it. I only burn a quart every 5k miles and my fuel economy went from 16MPG mixed to 18.5 mixed. DoD in place. HUGE difference. However, it did cost about $600 in labor, but I feel it gives me peace of mind. From my experience, I would say this is a good mod for anyone with oil burning issues and their compression is good.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:57 PM

That's refreshing info. My 2006 gxp had 58k when I bought it 4 years ago. At 118k (miles) #7 fouled. Former Pontiac dealer tech was 95% sure it has a stuck oil ring. Plan is to get a predator, turn of dod and run the upper engine cleaner acdelco treatment. Always have run 93 in it, mobile 1 high mileage and k/n oil filter. Would have never dreamed I was building carbon the way I drive it. Plugs were changed at 100k with no misfire issue. Within a week of my powertrain warranty running out this **** starts. I even waisted money on new acdelco wires. This car is a beast in the snow with blizzak lm60's, i live in northern Michigan. Don't want to start over with a payment but really thinking about a trade while that #7 plug is new.

Last edited by pontiscrapper; 09-15-2014 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption: GM's official fix for the LS4