LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Oil consumption: GM's official fix for the LS4

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil consumption: GM's official fix for the LS4

#11-06-01-007: Engine Oil Consumption with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install Oil Pan Gasket and Clean Carbon from Cylinder) - (Nov 22, 2011)
Subject: Engine Oil Consumption with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install Oil Pan Gasket and Clean Carbon from Cylinder)

Models: 2008-2009 Buick LaCrosse/Allure
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2006-2009 Chevrolet Impala SS
2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
Equipped with V8 Engine RPO LS4

Condition

Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000 mi). Verify that the induction system is assembled correctly and that there is no evidence that the engine has been ingesting dirty air due to a mis-assembled induction system. Also verify that the PCV system is functioning properly. If diagnostic procedures indicate that oil consumption is piston/piston ring related, verify that oil consumption is greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi). If these conditions are met and oil consumption is greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi), perform the service indicated in this bulletin.
Cause

This condition may be caused by oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption.

To correct this condition, perform the piston cleaning procedure as described in this document, and install the new oil pan gasket per the procedure outlined in this document. Monitor oil consumption after this repair to ensure oil consumption has improved to acceptable levels.

If this repair does not correct the condition, it may be necessary to replace the piston assemblies (piston and rings) with new parts.
Correction
A new oil pan gasket has been released. Technicians should replace the oil pan gasket with GM P/N 12643081. This oil pan gasket has the AFM shield incorporated into the gasket. Refer to SI for Oil Pan Gasket Replacement.

To correct this condition, perform the piston cleaning procedure as described in this document, and install the new oil pan gasket per the procedure outlined in this document. Monitor oil consumption after this repair to ensure oil consumption has improved to acceptable levels.

If this repair does not correct the condition, it may be necessary to replace all of the piston assemblies (piston and rings) with new parts. Refer to SI for repair procedure.
Important: It is critical in this cleaning process that the engine/fuel injector cleaner remain in the cylinders for a minimum of 2.5 hours to fully clean the components. The cleaner solution must be removed before a maximum of three hours.

1. Verify the oil consumption concern following Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011G. If oil consumption is found, continue on with this bulletin.
2. Remove the spark plugs and ensure that none of the pistons are at top dead center (TDC).
3. Clean the pistons by putting 118-147 ml (4-5 oz) of Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, GM P/N 88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804), in each cylinder. Allow the material to soak for at least 2.5-3.0 hours, but no more than three hours and then remove the cleaner. A suggested method of removing the cleaner is cranking engine over. Make sure to unplug the ignition coils and fuel injector before cranking the engine over. Also make sure that the painted surfaces are covered so no damage is done.
4. Remove the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement in SI.
Important: Ensure that the engine cleaner is thoroughly removed before reinstalling the spark plugs. Failure to do so may result in a hydro-lock condition.
5. Reinstall the spark plugs. Replace the spark plugs if necessary due to full of carbon. Refer to the parts catalog.
6. Reinstall the oil pan. Refer to the Oil Pan Installation procedure in SI. Replace the oil pan gasket.
7. Re-evaluate the oil consumption. Document on the repair order. If the oil consumption is still greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi), replacement of the pistons and rings will be required.
Important: Some minor scratches may be noticed on the cylinder walls during piston and ring replacement. If the scratch cannot be felt when running your finger nail over it, the scratch is considered normal wear and the block or engine should not be replaced.

Note: It is not necessary to hone or deglaze the cylinder walls. Honing may induce unnecessary cylinder wall and / or piston ring damage if it is done incorrectly and/or not cleaned thoroughly. Cylinder walls should cleaned thoroughly with brake cleaner before installation of the new pistons and rings. Numerous engines replaced for oil consumption have been inspected. The cross hatch has been consistently good and is in specification. As a result, is should not be necessary to measure the cylinders if they pass the visual inspection.

Parts Information

Part Number: 12643081 Oil Pan Gasket
Part Number: 88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804) CLEANER, F/INJR 16 OZ LIQUID POUR (Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner)
Attached Thumbnails Oil consumption: GM's official fix for the LS4-2741496.gif   Oil consumption: GM's official fix for the LS4-2741497.gif  
Old 12-03-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the info. I just had my oil pan gasket changed a couple months ago. Is this gasket different from the old one?...if so i hope they put the new on in
Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did this turn in to a recall? and or how big of a pos is it to drop the pan out?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Launching!

I checked the SM and it says the engine has to be pulled from the cradle. Not sure if thats really necessary or not.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Service Information
Home Publications Number Search Bulletin Search Help

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix | Grand Prix (VIN W) Service Manual | Engine | Engine Controls - 5.3L | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 1461510
Oil Pan Replacement
Removal Procedure

Object Number: 1655027 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
Remove the engine frame. Refer to Frame Replacement .
Drain the engine oil and remove the engine oil filter.
Reinstall the drain plug and oil filter until snug.
Remove the transaxle converter cover bolt/stud and cover.

Object Number: 1551872 Size: SH
Disconnect the oil level sensor electrical connector.
Remove engine harness retainer from the front of oil pan.

Object Number: 1551874 Size: SH
Position the drive belt tensioner aside in order to access the oil pan bolt. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement - Accessory .
Remove the oil pan bolts.
Remove the oil pan.

Object Number: 384699 Size: SH

Important: DO NOT allow foreign material to enter the oil passages of the oil pan, cap or cover the openings as required.
Drill (3) out the oil pan gasket retaining rivets (2), if required.
Remove the gasket (1) from the pan.
Discard the gasket and rivets.
Clean and inspect the engine oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Cleaning and Inspection .

Installation Procedure

Important:
• The alignment of the structural oil pan is critical. The rear bolt hole locations of the oil pan provide mounting points for the transmission housing. To ensure the rigidity of the powertrain and correct transmission alignment, it is important that the rear of the block and the rear of the oil pan are flush, or even. The rear of the oil pan must NEVER protrude beyond the engine block and transmission housing plane.
• Do NOT reuse the oil pan gasket.
• It is NOT necessary to rivet the NEW gasket to the oil pan.

Object Number: 1551873 Size: SH
Apply a 5 mm (0.20 in) bead of sealant , or equivalent 20 mm (0.80 in) long to the engine block. Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the front/rear cover gasket that protrudes into the oil pan surface. Refer to Adhesives, Fluids, Lubricants, and Sealers for the correct part number.

Object Number: 1551874 Size: SH

Important: Be sure to align the oil gallery passages in the oil pan and engine block properly with the oil pan gasket.
Pre-assemble the oil pan gasket to the pan.
2.1. Install the gasket onto the pan.
2.2. Install the oil pan bolts to the pan and through the gasket.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.
Install the oil pan, gasket, and bolts to the engine block.

Tighten
• Tighten the oil pan and oil pan-to-front cover bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
• Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 12 N·m (106 lb in).
• Tighten the transmission housing, converter cover, and transmission bolts/stud to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Object Number: 1551872 Size: SH
Install the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement - Accessory .
Install engine harness to front of oil pan.
Connect the oil level sensor electrical connector.

Object Number: 1655027 Size: SH
Install the transaxle converter cover and bolt/stud.

Tighten
Tighten the bolt/stud to 12 N·m (106 lb in).
Install new engine oil and a new oil filter. Refer to Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replacement .
Install the engine frame. Refer to Frame Replacement .

© 2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

so is this only covered under warranty? no idea how these situations work
Old 12-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Looks like its a TSB not a recall, so out of warranty, out of luck
Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds to me like it isn't a recall where they fix it for free. If you're under warranty and you're having the issue it should be free, but if not, it'll come out of your pocket. To me, it's cheaper and easier to just carry a quart of 5w-30 in the trunk in case you need to top the oil up on a long trip.
The following users liked this post:
The70judge (03-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Sounds to me like it isn't a recall where they fix it for free. If you're under warranty and you're having the issue it should be free, but if not, it'll come out of your pocket. To me, it's cheaper and easier to just carry a quart of 5w-30 in the trunk in case you need to top the oil up on a long trip.
+1

I already do that. Sounds to me the easier fix is to tune DOD out. I'm not taking half the car apart to put this shield in
Old 12-04-2011, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Turn off DoD. Alot cheaper than paying out of pocket if you don't have a warranty.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Teching In

So what do you do if you have a 07 MCSS unable to turn off DOD. I emailed Diablosport and they no answer for me at this time or the future. So who are people using on the 07 MCSS would like a handheld unit to turn off DOD. I am taking it in for the TSB oil consumption stil have drive train warranty till june of 2012.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

I would think you can do this easily by unbolting the engine and trans mount nuts and raising the engine up a few inches...
Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4EVER3
So what do you do if you have a 07 MCSS unable to turn off DOD. I emailed Diablosport and they no answer for me at this time or the future. So who are people using on the 07 MCSS would like a handheld unit to turn off DOD. I am taking it in for the TSB oil consumption stil have drive train warranty till june of 2012.
look into overkill or trifecta tuning
Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Yeah I really wish Diablosport would get support for DOD on 07's Impala/Monte Carlos. If they wait too long their market is going to start to diminish.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SS07
Yeah I really wish Diablosport would get support for DOD on 07's Impala/Monte Carlos. If they wait too long their market is going to start to diminish.
We have recently added E67 support with the new CTS-V models, next up on the E67 support list is the 07+ TBSS, 06+ LS2 CTS-V, and the 07+ LS4 applications
Old 12-05-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
We have recently added E67 support with the new CTS-V models, next up on the E67 support list is the 07+ TBSS, 06+ LS2 CTS-V, and the 07+ LS4 applications
cant wait! i need a tune pretty bad. i have been waiting to decide what route i want to go.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

HP Tuners ftw. Although I will say I'm lucky to live 10 minutes from TEP, Dave is always so helpful, as are other local guys.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Thats great news. I hope its going to be sometime early in the new year.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

I called the Dealer about this and its true. Im taking my car in next week (they are ordering the parts) to hopefully get everything fixed.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

whitegxp. Let us know how it goes and the cost please

Quick Reply: Oil consumption: GM's official fix for the LS4