LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Adding trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding trans fluid?

Has anyone ever heard of adding trans fluid when doing an oil change to clean it up alittle bit?
Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Not to "clean it up" but to keep it at the right fillmark on the dipstick, yes. Always check your fluids and fill to the proper level. If youre feeling a little mehhhh about filling all of them, let your wiper fluid slide a little bit.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Launching!

I think OP means actually adding tranny fluid to the oil. Adding tranny fluid to engine oil was an old trick to help remove contaminants because engine oil did not have detergents in it. Today's oil does. There are better products out now that will help "clean up the engine" like Seafoam (a lot of people swear by the stuff).
Old 12-10-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or pay to have your engine flushed with a machine. The valvoline near me uses a bilstein machine the pumps hot detergent through your engine while it is off. I have seen what comes out of engines with that thing (AFTER THE OIL IS DRAINED!) and it is very impressive. Most dealerships have that equipment too. I would not run the engine with any kind of mix of oil/tranny fluid, for any reason.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was talking about adding it to the engine oil. I was talking with a few people I work with about some engine flushes we could do to clean it up and one guy said instead of doing a flush with the bg stuff. I have never heard of adding the trans fluid to the engine oil before but I figured I'd ask.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Hymm, Interesting, I have used sea foam multiple times, but the only way Ive felt a difference was introducing it through main vac @ booster. It was night and day for 4 cars for me, but all were high milage.
I saw on cnn or some channel like that i rarely watch, Them talking very bad about that engine flush. It was a midas or some other quick oil change place that was convincing people they needed to do this and the customer would then have problems. The host made it out to be a scam like service and the dealers all did not recommend. But then again, Dealers dont recommend you drive your car imo.
I can kind of recall people using mystery oil to do the same thing,
Also, adding a small amount of 2 cycle oil to your gas.
I bet theres a million out there, and everyone will disagree what is good and what isnt.
I would say routine maintenance is all thats really needed?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

One of the reasons people used to add trans fluid is to swell the valve stem seals, this would reduce the smoking a lot of cars did when they were first cranked up. It also slowed oil leaks by swelling the seals. I know this worked because I did it too but it doesn't last long before its back with a vengence