LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

HID/HALO Headlights

Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID/HALO Headlights

Hello, I am the proud owner of a 2006 Impala SS, It would be great if someone could help with my question i would really really appreciate it. So i purchased these headlights online a long time ago,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220852927975...84.m1423.l2649

But i now decided i want to hook up HIDS to the lows, i know i need the H3 hid kit, but how do you wire them into your headlights? Because you know how the halo headlights all plug into your master power plug, i am just confused on if i order the h3's do i need a special kit or something or no?

this was the kit i am going to order

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230488008214...84.m1423.l2649

thanks so much i really really appreciate anyone's help Smile
Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Teching In

ok first off i would order your HID's from DDM Tuning, just get the basic H3 kit. takes a little bit for them to show up on your door step but they are good HID kits and everyone around here uses them. Second the kit plugs right up to the stock connections. I dont know how to halos hook up on those headlights but im sure you can wire them to any connection you wish. here is a pic of how you should connect them and how I connected them. you still plug the headlight housing up to the main plug but inside the low beam opening in the back you connect the HID bulb to that plug within the housing. hope that makes sense.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Launching!

i hard wired halo's in the past into the running light and turn signal wiring harness which is seperate from the headlight harness,that way i could just have the halo's on without headlights on or i could have the halo's flash with turn signals
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all of your help we are doing the install on Sunday so we'll see how it goes...I had already purchased this other kit on eBay so i'm going to have to stick with it. The kit I ordered from them for my fog lights worked out perfect!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Yeah it should be straight forward the only difference is the headlights (i am assuming the aftermarket lights are like this too) are wired all to one main plug that connects to the car. On the back there is an area that opens allowing you access to each bulb, wire the HID using that wire then plug everything back up.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

FYI - I'd really consider a wiring harness for the headlight HID's. I've had nothing but problems running straight-HID in my projectors.

Also, for anyone else reading this...keep in mind that the newer model projectors are coming with H1 bulbs, not H3's. Most sellers have this in their description, others do not. Also, the halos are LED, not CCFL, which I hope results in better, longer-lasting quality.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
FYI - I'd really consider a wiring harness for the headlight HID's. I've had nothing but problems running straight-HID in my projectors.

Also, for anyone else reading this...keep in mind that the newer model projectors are coming with H1 bulbs, not H3's. Most sellers have this in their description, others do not. Also, the halos are LED, not CCFL, which I hope results in better, longer-lasting quality.
Do the H1s have better output than the the old H3s? I sold my projectors within a week because the output was so poor, even with HIDs. I wound up going with black Depos and H11 HIDs in the lows and 55W H9 HIDs in the high beams (we're rural and use the highs A LOT).

And I agree, a relay harness is a must, if anything for peace of mind. Both of our HIDs fire every time without fail.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not impressed with my ddms 55watts the light output is superb but the first set i had cut in and out all the time and instead of waiting 4-12 weeks for a warranted set i just picked up the raptor 55w from them and they randomly shut off on me last night. love the light out put but tiered of the fight
Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Do the H1s have better output than the the old H3s? I sold my projectors within a week because the output was so poor, even with HIDs. I wound up going with black Depos and H11 HIDs in the lows and 55W H9 HIDs in the high beams (we're rural and use the highs A LOT).
I haven't purchased the new projectors (yet)...just noted the differences in the new ebay listings in case I buy a new set.

I marred the lens on my p/s with electronic parts cleaner while trying to clean up some corrosion on the plug, and I'm done with fixing/replacing inverters/power boxes for the CCFL halos, so I just cut the wires.

I was thinking about going with the depos like you have, but never liked the scattered output of the HIDs in our OE housings. Output-wise, I thought the H3s put out enough light for my purposes, but can see how it wouldn't be enough for anyone driving rural roads often.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Every audi leds, projector lens, and angel eyes are made from the cheapest quality parts possible i mean come on what are they $300 max? The only thing i like about them is the projector lens but ill do a retro-fit before i buy those. You cant be surprised when they fail even the DDM hids we are paying $40 for the most expensive set and like they say "you get what you pay for".
Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I plan to eventually replace the projectors with a different & better-quality set. As for the halos, I'm not a real big fan either way...it's just that they come with one another.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 AM
Teching In

what is the success rate of the ddm HID lights? seems like they dont last long. Timeframe? I work overnights and really need the higher light output for my commute.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

My bulbs have been flawless after 2+/- years, but I had both a slim and regular ballast fail during that time. Getting a RMA/swap took just over 2 weeks from start to finish, I believe...and that's with the replacements coming straight from China.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Teching In

so the ballast is the failure point?
and what do you mean by RMA? im new to all this......
Old 01-23-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the cheap ballasts fail sooner than the cheap bulbs...but there are few alternatives. Either pay a ridiculous amount for Philips, Hella or other name brand products ($400+ for a kit, I'm assuming), or pay $50 for a kit that might last you 2 or so years with free replacement (you pay return shipping). Seems like a no-brainer, but some just like to be able to say they didn't go generic.

RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization. Just need to tell them what the problem is, they'll send you the RMA #, ship the product to their California warehouse, and they ship out the replacements after (supposedly) testing the returned items. After the fact, I think it took closer to 3 weeks for the process but it was still pretty quick.

(the fact that I have spare bulbs and ballasts helps the timing to NOT matter, too)
Old 01-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Teching In

35w or 55w?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID/HALO Headlights