LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

keep or get rid of gxp

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default keep or get rid of gxp

hi guys i am going back and forth about selling my gxp i have 3 vehicles and all 3 have v8's i thinking about selling my gxp for a chevy cruze LTZ i have a 2002 WS6 trans am i store 6 months of the year and i also have a gmc K3500 1 ton crew cab dually 4X4 so i dont need all gas guzzlers my question is what would a good price to ask for my 2005 grand prix GXP black and black 77,500 miles tinted windows dynomax vt exhaust tranny rebuilt and added tranny cooler 2 sets of rims and tires snow tires and summer tires just did a tune up on it everything works only one key fob though anny thoughts should i keep my gxp or sell it and get a chevy cruze that gets double the MPG
Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would sell,the money you save in fuel you could buy more parts for ur ws6
Old 01-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Launching!

i did the math i would save $120 a month in gas alone if i sold the gxp and got a cruze
Old 01-23-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What're the car note and insurance differences?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

Wait for the 2013 Cruze with the turbo Diesel and get triple the mpg.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Launching!

they have a diesel option for 2013?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Keep it, you'll be mad you got rid of it. I promise, I sold my GXP with the same intentions and ended up buying one again. That's the definition of a truly great automobile.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're quick cars but they aren't really that fast so why pay for the extra gas? You've got a go-fast toy already with the WS6 which has no ceiling concerning performance. Get something more eco-friendly, and put the extra cash in the bank or in the WS6. Sell it
Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Teching In

you should learn to use periods (.) and commas (,)
Old 01-23-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your seriously considering selling your car because of the MGPs youre getting what you need to try before doing so is changing your driving style before you change your car. If that is the sole reason. Before i changed a bunch of things on my impala it did great even with dod disabled.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

i agree gas mileage can be controlled it cant be that bad with your magnaflow and you have a rebuilt tranny pretty much the biggest reliability concern with the car is taken care of.. keep it man.. with the exception of the tranny and a few other things the gxp is bad *** daily driver unless your craving a stick acura tl -type s like me ...
Old 01-23-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
They're quick cars but they aren't really that fast so why pay for the extra gas? You've got a go-fast toy already with the WS6 which has no ceiling concerning performance. Get something more eco-friendly, and put the extra cash in the bank or in the WS6. Sell it
i agree
Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Teching In

I would keep it. If u were to sell it though u should try and get 12-13,000 for it. I have been thinking the same as u man but the opposite on the next car I want a g8 gt. If I were to sell my gxp I would try and get 14-15,000 for it. Just because its a year newer than yours with 45,000 miles and inferno hood.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Your decision. Hard to use gas mileage as a factor though. Awful hard to impossible to recoup the cost difference of a new car based on fuel savings alone. You'd have to be on the road all day, every day.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twomorestrokes
Your decision. Hard to use gas mileage as a factor though. Awful hard to impossible to recoup the cost difference of a new car based on fuel savings alone. You'd have to be on the road all day, every day.
If he got $14,000 for the GXP that'd be roughly $2,000-5,000 more for the Cruze assuming he is buying brand new at full price. At $120/month he'd be saving money within just a few years on gas alone.

Then you have to take into consideration the repair costs. The Cruze would be under warranty bumper to bumper whereas the GXP would not, and at this point a couple thousand dollars worth of repairs in the next few years on a 7 year old daily driver certainly wouldn't be mind boggling.

As far as insurance costs the cruze would probably be cheaper.

Another factor would be wether or not OP is paying cash or if he is paying interest on a loan on either car, but even then, the Cruze is looking like a pretty smart option IMO.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

I disagree that a new car would ever save money over a used car that is owned free and clear. That's not the way it works. It can be done, providing he owns the GP outright, gets top dollar for the sale, puts it ALL toward the Cruz and pays cash for the remainder. Once financing gets involved it's over.

Personally I don't have a love affair with these cars, but for what they are they are decent cars. Don't know how the rest of you use them or what kind of driving conditions you see, but ours is mainly used to and from work, 65 mph about 25 moles each way and averages 27 mpg on a daily basis. I was shocked. This car replaced a 3800 GP GT and is very comparable.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Launching!

my ws6 and my gmc dually are payed off i owe $4K on the gxp
i love the gxp dont get me wrong but i have a sports car (my WS6) so i dont rilly need a 4 door sports car as a dayly drive that is a premium gas guzzler i didnt know the cruze in 2013 was going to have a diesel i asked a local dieler and he didnt know i like the face of saveing money each week on gas and is i want to cruze i just hop in my trans am what would be a good price for my gxp if i traded it in and what would be a good price to start with selling myself
Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orange57
you should learn to use periods (.) and commas (,)
dear lord, this^
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by spydog
my ws6 and my gmc dually are payed off i owe $4K on the gxp
i love the gxp dont get me wrong but i have a sports car (my WS6) so i dont rilly need a 4 door sports car as a dayly drive that is a premium gas guzzler i didnt know the cruze in 2013 was going to have a diesel i asked a local dieler and he didnt know i like the face of saveing money each week on gas and is i want to cruze i just hop in my trans am what would be a good price for my gxp if i traded it in and what would be a good price to start with selling myself
Well then it sounds like you should do it. You don't need to justify it with the fuel mileage, but just because a Cruze makes more sense to you is enough. Personally I don't classify these GP's as "sports cars". To us, it is just another 4 door sedan that performs well. It does what it needs to do without the snooze factor.We still have two kids at home so we need the 4 doors, and a little fun factored into it makes it better for her. Couple more years when the kids are out on their own, a 2 door real sports car will take it's place.

The Cruze platform looks pretty good for what it is.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Launching!

i am looking into the 2013 cruze, if it has a diesel i would gues it wrould get better MPG than the 1.4 turbo gas. I may sit in the gxp till the 2013 diesel comes out or put it up for sale know and see what happens. I did KBB my gxp but what do u guys think is a good starting number for privot party

Quick Reply: keep or get rid of gxp