LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Factory NAV Experts step inside please :-)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just some additional information for what it's worth.

Seems like the navigation works much better with a factory 20794960 VCIM OnStar module (2009 - 2010 Corvette with factory Nav) compared to my factory 15869895 VCIM module (2008 Grand Prix without nav)

The GPS signal is picked up within 30 seconds of my Grand Prix leaving the garage (Corvette VCIM) compared to 2-3 miles (sometimes longer) with my factory Grand Prix VCIM.

Factory 2008 Grand Prix dash wire harness
Factory 2008 Grand Prix GPS antenna in the factory location
Factory in dash navigation unit.
Factory 2009- 2010 Corvette VCIM with Bluetooth mounted in the 2008 Grand Prix factory location.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cheezehead
Just some additional information for what it's worth.

Seems like the navigation works much better with a factory 20794960 VCIM OnStar module (2009 - 2010 Corvette with factory Nav) compared to my factory 15869895 VCIM module (2008 Grand Prix without nav)

The GPS signal is picked up within 30 seconds of my Grand Prix leaving the garage (Corvette VCIM) compared to 2-3 miles (sometimes longer) with my factory Grand Prix VCIM.

Factory 2008 Grand Prix dash wire harness
Factory 2008 Grand Prix GPS antenna in the factory location
Factory in dash navigation unit.
Factory 2009- 2010 Corvette VCIM with Bluetooth mounted in the 2008 Grand Prix factory location.
A little subjective? Maybe there's something else that you did not test. An outlier somewhere?

The VCIM (OnStar module) has nothing to do with the GPS signal that the NAV receives with respect to actual navigation. C6 Corvette owners with the factory navigation have removed their VCIMs and replaced them with BlueSTARs to in an effort to get Bluetooh functionality; NAV features and functions remain the same.

There are two GPS antennas in the vehicle:
      My vehicle came with the factory NAV unit for the Grand Prix and I seriously doubt that my VCIM differs from a Grand Prix without NAV.
      Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 PM
      Teching In

Originally Posted by GXP25
      A little subjective? Maybe there's something else that you did not test. An outlier somewhere?

The VCIM (OnStar module) has nothing to do with the GPS signal that the NAV receives with respect to actual navigation. C6 Corvette owners with the factory navigation have removed their VCIMs and replaced them with BlueSTARs to in an effort to get Bluetooh functionality; NAV features and functions remain the same.

There are two GPS antennas in the vehicle:
          My vehicle came with the factory NAV unit for the Grand Prix and I seriously doubt that my VCIM differs from a Grand Prix without NAV.
          I know there is two GPS antenna and I know what the results were. Tested both modules twice for multiple days with the same results. Nothing else was touched other than the VCIM's. Every day I tested the VCIM's was clear and I drove the same route, so....
          Old 11-18-2013, 12:52 PM
          TECH Fanatic

Well it's not the VCIM lol. Unless there are two different part numbers for the Grand Prix.
          Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 PM
          Teching In

Originally Posted by GXP25
          Well it's not the VCIM lol. Unless there are two different part numbers for the Grand Prix.
          I posted my results from actual testing of the two different modules in my 2008 Grand Prix.

The VCIM was the only item changed and there was/is a significant difference between the two modules installed in my 2008 Grand Prix:

1) signal strength (no red slash)
          2) length of time acquiring the signal after driving out of the garage
          3) The ability to keep the GPS signal.

I posted the information as a courtesy only, the information was never up for debate. This was my results from my test!
          Old 01-01-2016, 04:21 AM
          Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What the reason to use the dash harness? Is it for the VSS so you dont have to run a wire and re-pin?
          Old 10-03-2019, 11:40 AM
          Teching In

I am putting in the same system in my 2006 GXP How do I find where to connect the VSS wire to the unit?
          Old 10-03-2019, 12:28 PM
          Teching In

Originally Posted by cheezehead
          I just purchased a 2008 Grand Prix GXP and it has every option except engine block heater (don't care) and navigation. I ordered a factory ACDelco GPS/Navigation antenna and I will install it tomorrow in the factory location. I know I need to have the nav unit unlocked but I have a couple of questions.

Can anyone tell me (without guessing) what the 4th electrical plug is on the back of the nav unit? Port 1 and 2 are the factory radio plugins, port 3 is for the nav antenna and port 4 is for??

Once I install the nav unit and plug in the (3) know plugs will I need to install anything else to make the nav work as intended from the factory?

Thanks for your help.
          What is the 8 pin plug for and is is in the dash somewhere?
          Old 03-04-2020, 02:21 PM
          Teching In

Hi I am just about to install my NAV unit in my 06 GXP and there are no photos on the site anymore, would you have them still

Tks
          Pete
          Old 05-04-2022, 07:17 PM

hello all did anyone had good luck on finding the right length gps antenna for our cars and mount in factory location, i read the forums just want to makesure i get the right one just got my radio in mail needs software updated but dealer can fix that no biggy just need a good antenna part number i can buy asap

Quick Reply: Factory NAV Experts step inside please :-)