LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Diablo tune and now car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo tune and now car won't start.

I've had the 91 octane tune in for months with no problems and yesterday decided to try out the Diablo tune. So today I go for a drive to do some logs to get the fuel trims dialed in. So I get home adjust the tune and go to install it but then get some error message about the tune not loading and now my car will not start, won't even turn over. The handheld is now saying that the last tune written doesn't match the one on file or something to that extent. I can't even load the original factory tune back to the car. To make matters worse Diablo doesn't have weekend tech support so I'm stuck with a dead car until Monday morning. This is such bullshit how can you sell a product that can potentialy leave a person stranded and not offer round the clock support.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Low91
I've had the 91 octane tune in for months with no problems and yesterday decided to try out the Diablo tune. So today I go for a drive to do some logs to get the fuel trims dialed in. So I get home adjust the tune and go to install it but then get some error message about the tune not loading and now my car will not start, won't even turn over. The handheld is now saying that the last tune written doesn't match the one on file or something to that extent. I can't even load the original factory tune back to the car. To make matters worse Diablo doesn't have weekend tech support so I'm stuck with a dead car until Monday morning. This is such bullshit how can you sell a product that can potentialy leave a person stranded and not offer round the clock support.

Ditto. I had this exact same problem with mine about a month ago. It was supposedly "hardware related". My final opinion was it was bullshit related and sold the Trinity and all ties to it and got HPTuned
Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

So you couldn't get it fixed at all before you retuned with HP? What did Diablo tell you?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen to me the very first few days diablo offered support for ls1 fbodies through the trinity. Bricked the damn pcm, fought back and forth with someone through email, then finally they had me send the trinity and pcm to them.

First fed me BS about how they were going to have to create a whole NEW tune on the PCM... I told them to KMA and to restore MY tune back on the pcm, because i sure as hell wasn't going to be stuck (locked) with their "tune".

I eventually got it back and it worked as before, although i'm really not sure what they did and they never gave me a reason of what happened, but i do know that month they remove the fbody update from the site temporarily. (sidenote: i never had a chance to revise the tune on the pcm because water leaked in shortly after and destroyed it) This was about a couple of weeks of downtime btw

HP Tuners is awesome... but be forewarned the whole MPVI PRO standalone datalogger doesn't work (right now anyways... or the past 2 years from what i've read)... so don't bother spending the extra $200 on that
Old 06-09-2012, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
I had this happen to me the very first few days diablo offered support for ls1 fbodies through the trinity. Bricked the damn pcm, fought back and forth with someone through email, then finally they had me send the trinity and pcm to them.

First fed me BS about how they were going to have to create a whole NEW tune on the PCM... I told them to KMA and to restore MY tune back on the pcm, because i sure as hell wasn't going to be stuck (locked) with their "tune".

I eventually got it back and it worked as before, although i'm really not sure what they did and they never gave me a reason of what happened, but i do know that month they remove the fbody update from the site temporarily. (sidenote: i never had a chance to revise the tune on the pcm because water leaked in shortly after and destroyed it) This was about a couple of weeks of downtime btw

HP Tuners is awesome... but be forewarned the whole MPVI PRO standalone datalogger doesn't work (right now anyways... or the past 2 years from what i've read)... so don't bother spending the extra $200 on that
I'm starting to worry now. I've seen many threads about peoples PCM being screwed up and having to either have a dealership (25-30 miles from me)reflash it or having to go through a PITA process of sending it to Diablo. I was going to get a tune from Lew next week but if Diablo can't/won't fix this issue I'm selling the handheld and won't have anything to do with Diablo.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

I had to have my car towed to the dealer and have them flash the new PCM and TCM files onto my car. That was $130. I bought the trinity from a friend of mine, it was about a week old and Diablosport wouldn't cover anything because it was now second hand. I found them to me extremely rude and disrespectful.

I was told by Jon at Diablo, that the tune didn't install correctly to my car because the trinity couldn't read my TCM. It couldn't without a update that he was going to send me after I called in. Therefore, I had no way of preventing my car from being bricked. It had the newest publicly released software , yet , it wasn't their fault. I'm sure Lew will chime in here soon. Everyone has their own opinions, and you just heard mine.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hazards280
I had to have my car towed to the dealer and have them flash the new PCM and TCM files onto my car. That was $130. I bought the trinity from a friend of mine, it was about a week old and Diablosport wouldn't cover anything because it was now second hand. I found them to me extremely rude and disrespectful.

I was told by Jon at Diablo, that the tune didn't install correctly to my car because the trinity couldn't read my TCM. It couldn't without a update that he was going to send me after I called in. Therefore, I had no way of preventing my car from being bricked. It had the newest publicly released software , yet , it wasn't their fault. I'm sure Lew will chime in here soon. Everyone has their own opinions, and you just heard mine.
Sounds about right, all of the forum replies I see from them ends in something like "Sorry not our fault".

Anyone know if a dealership can reflash a PCM out of the car? The towing bill alone would be a blow to my wallet. Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself and it will be an easy fix, guess I'll know Monday
Old 06-09-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont buck. why dont you pm lew im sure he can help you out.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
dont buck. why dont you pm lew im sure he can help you out.
I did. Nothing he could do.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

The dealership requires the car.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Teching In

The towing bill alone would be a blow to my wallet.

If you have full coverage insurance they will cover the towing bill.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok first did you make a backup of the factory tune on your PC? load that tune back onto your diablo let it redo its calibration and you should be fine. and then try again to tune this happen to me when the update wiped out all of data but after loading the factory cal and tune back on i was golden. Diablo is still a great device there are variables they cant control such as improper voltage on your car or bad cable or loose connection while flashing the tune.

matter of fact if you want feel free to email me if u need help 91parkave@gmail.com best of luck
Old 06-09-2012, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 91parkave
ok first did you make a backup of the factory tune on your PC? load that tune back onto your diablo let it redo its calibration and you should be fine. and then try again to tune this happen to me when the update wiped out all of data but after loading the factory cal and tune back on i was golden. Diablo is still a great device there are variables they cant control such as improper voltage on your car or bad cable or loose connection while flashing the tune.

matter of fact if you want feel free to email me if u need help 91parkave@gmail.com best of luck
No I never backed anything up on my PC, didn't even know that was possible or something I should do until I had this problem and started researching. I had just ordered a USB cable the day before this happened so at least I'll have that if its needed. Now I'm just waiting on Monday moring with my fingers crossed.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

I've had my PCM and TCM reflashed outside of the car before by Dave@Triple Edge, but I think he has some sort of custom bench setup to do it, but might be worth a call to the dealer before you decide to tow it. Sorry about your luck with Diablo, HPTuners worked like a charm for me.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No I never backed anything up on my PC, didn't even know that was possible or something I should do until I had this problem and started researching. I had just ordered a USB cable the day before this happened so at least I'll have that if its needed. Now I'm just waiting on Monday moring with my fingers crossed.
i hear you man. I wish Diablo wouldve been more specific as to the importance of backing up your factory tune first on your PC and THEN tune. lol but hey experience is a ************. like you i messed mine up after the update on a friday and had to wait all weekend lol. luckily though they got me squared away really fast monday morning, and were more than helpful of my situation, so anyway man best of luck sucks it happen too you. Diablo should seriously have at least one tech available for emergency problems on the weekend though.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Get it reflashed at the dealer, put the Diablo in the trash, get tuned by Hptuners/reputable IN PERSON tune and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to reflash my car cause of the Superchips cortex.That's why I'm going to get tuned at a shop.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it happened to me , i had all of my tunes backed up on my pc and it didnt help me. The pcm was bricked it needed a tow and a dealer reflash.

My car has not seen a tune since , diablosport was of no help whatsoever , and they frankly did not seem to give a **** that i now had to cough up 200$ to tow the ******* thing into to town but then had to take off my left arm and pay the stealership 150$ to reflash the thing.

This was while i was trying to install my lewtune. The only explanation DS ever gave me was that i needed to install a canned tune before i went to a custom tune. Because custom tunes dont back up the oem tunes to the trinity or some such bullshit. But they never would acknoledge the fact that it had always worked fine until thier latest update for our TCMs came out.

Lew helped me out to the best of his ability. I couldnt ask anymore from him.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, nothing I can do about that... need to contact diablo... the original backup stock tune is still on the trinity, and they may be able to do a "force restore".. you'll need to be in your car with the trinity when you call them...

if not, then you can send it in to them to have it done...

and I've had a predator since 2005, and a trinity since they originally came out - hell I was a beta tester for it - and have never once had any issue with either of them on my car... not even this tcm related error... but yes, I have heard of a couple others having this issue on theirs with it not reading the tcm file and causing this problem, and diablo has always been able to fix 'em right up...

but yeah, your next course of action is to call them....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 06-10-2012, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
yeah, nothing I can do about that... need to contact diablo... the original backup stock tune is still on the trinity, and they may be able to do a "force restore".. you'll need to be in your car with the trinity when you call them...

if not, then you can send it in to them to have it done...

and I've had a predator since 2005, and a trinity since they originally came out - hell I was a beta tester for it - and have never once had any issue with either of them on my car... not even this tcm related error... but yes, I have heard of a couple others having this issue on theirs with it not reading the tcm file and causing this problem, and diablo has always been able to fix 'em right up...

but yeah, your next course of action is to call them....
I'm actually using a predator not the trinity, can a predator be used for a force restore?

Quick Reply: Diablo tune and now car won't start.