LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

another shift kit question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default another shift kit question

Hi guys, i just picked my GXP up, and i love the car. Now i have been doing lots of searching and reading and i know the 4t65e is a serious weak link. I have already ordered my Trans Cooler, and considering my Father happens to be a GM Trans Tech im not too worried about blasting the trans. Infact when it does go i will buy 3.29's for it, the aftermarket valve body, and do whatever little things i can do to help "beef" it up. (Give us a 4l60 and we can build those all day) Here is my question.
I plan on buying a shift kit now to help it get its heavy A$$ around. I want to know if the shift kit's help improve the downshifting of the trans, i came from an f-body with a built 4l60-e and the way this thing downshifts drives me insane. Its really sloppy and a slow shift. Those of you that have the shift kits installed, did you notice a difference with the downshifting? I expect the upshift to improve but im not too worried about that.
thank you,
steve
Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my transgo s/k I could really hear it when it downshifted, but not really feel much of a downshift. I also flipped the motor mount, so that added more to it I suppose.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Between the Transgo shift kit and pressure tweaks in my TCM my downshifts are very firm and adequately fast. It's a big difference from just having the TCM tuned, though that alone made me quite happy til I got the shift kit.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Barnett92, what do you mean by you could "hear the downshift?"

OP, I think the downshift was the best part of adding the shift kit. The upshift definitely improved and was much crisper but it was a subtle improvement. But the first time I mashed the gas in 2nd/3rd and it downshifted, I was very impressed and it made the car much more enjoyable to drive. The slow and sloppy downshift you described will be gone.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JessmoMonteSS
Barnett92, what do you mean by you could "hear the downshift?"

OP, I think the downshift was the best part of adding the shift kit. The upshift definitely improved and was much crisper but it was a subtle improvement. But the first time I mashed the gas in 2nd/3rd and it downshifted, I was very impressed and it made the car much more enjoyable to drive. The slow and sloppy downshift you described will be gone.
that is great news, thanks everyone for the advice i just ordered my trans go kit. 54.25 shipped brand new on ebay
Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Like I could tell an improvement when it downshifted. It sounds more aggressive when it revs up.

Quick Reply: another shift kit question