LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Bolts backing out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolts backing out!!!

Man... I was riding last week and I thought maybe I lost something. As I looked in the sideview mirror I saw something bouncing but I was on a brigde with no shoulder. So I went to turn into a parking lot as soon as I could and heard the worst "grinding" noise I have ever heard in my life. I got out and looked at the rotors, calipers and everthing I could think of. The car still rolled with no issues and I had no choice but to drive the other 3 miles back to the garage. As I got home a started to reverse into the garage (never pull in...... pulling out is so much cooler LOL) it was as if the brakes were being pressed. I put the car in park in the middle of the street to look at everything again but with a lil more panic. I finaly got her in the garage and jack her up... I found that one of the bolts on the back side of the rotor had backed completely out. I check the passenger side to make sure that was it and at that time I saw everything matched up. I put the bolt back in. That was last week Saturday. Today I noticed that there ar TWO bolts and one is missing (probably what came out on the bridge).

Does anyone know what the name of these bolts are and why they backed out?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My caliper brackets had Loctite on the bolts when I removed them to change the rotors out. It took every ounce of strength to get them out and cursed at whoever had Loctite'd them in the first place. Never have had a brake job take so much time and effort. But this may be why they were Loctite'd in the first place lol. I cleaned out the threads so they no longer had Loctite on them and they have stayed in since then.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tpattsgxp
Man... I was riding last week and I thought maybe I lost something. As I looked in the sideview mirror I saw something bouncing but I was on a brigde with no shoulder. So I went to turn into a parking lot as soon as I could and heard the worst "grinding" noise I have ever heard in my life. I got out and looked at the rotors, calipers and everthing I could think of. The car still rolled with no issues and I had no choice but to drive the other 3 miles back to the garage. As I got home a started to reverse into the garage (never pull in...... pulling out is so much cooler LOL) it was as if the brakes were being pressed. I put the car in park in the middle of the street to look at everything again but with a lil more panic. I finaly got her in the garage and jack her up... I found that one of the bolts on the back side of the rotor had backed completely out. I check the passenger side to make sure that was it and at that time I saw everything matched up. I put the bolt back in. That was last week Saturday. Today I noticed that there ar TWO bolts and one is missing (probably what came out on the bridge).

Does anyone know what the name of these bolts are and why they backed out?
funny you mention that the same thing happened when i had my old 97 GP with the GXP brake swap, backed out while i was driving started grinding. Replaced later with a grade 8 stainless from ACE hardware tourqed to 100FT/lb never had a problem after that.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

If you're worried about it, throw in some new bolts with some blue loctite.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

That also happened to my altima 3 weeks after my brake job when I had it... I ordered a new bolt and it hadn't had a problem since.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanisl33t
If you're worried about it, throw in some new bolts with some blue loctite.
Agreed "USE BLUE LOCTITE"
Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Agreed "USE BLUE LOCTITE"
yeah i use that as well.. i had a few different cars that the bolts backed out on.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it happen multiple times, even with the loctite. Driver's side every time.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Wow... thanks guys. I know NOT to use the red loctite. I used that on an old car. had to buy new hubs SMH.....

I may have to do what 91parkave did. Ace may be cheaper than going to the dealership too.

Quick Reply: Bolts backing out!!!