LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1- the tech 2 may not see the ECM either but it is possible to see all the modules that are powered up and that would make it easier to test/locate a problem.

2- Yes it should but even with the car in any position it must see the results from each signal/switch or it thinks there is a problem. Now the IMS is kind of a fragile unit, there is warnings in the manual as to not connect/disconnect the shift lever in P only in N and then there is another to not connect it with the shift cable unadjusted and it has to be in neutral and the key in the ON position. Reason is the fragile IMS switch can go beyond its travel points and damage the fingers inside (bend/break) or even break off the tab for the P/N switch side. Only vigilant testing can prove otherwise. There is even a test that I did not mention and that is to test each switch to the shaft for a short and to test that each switch be tested in every position as if the finger is bent it could in fact touch an improper terminal case/shaft at the given position. This being said I believe there is either 2 problems the indicator which was there before and after (the previous trans work may of missed the shift cable adjustment and it was just enough during warm weather but with shrinkage in cold caused the problem just a possibility! and then you installed this trans or the people that removed it caused the same scenario. It is real hard to say. We could speculate all day but there is defiantly a problem.Have you ever verified if the ECM was getting power?

Something else ,does all the other stuff in the DIC function as per it should... is it just the indicator not working? Maybe it is shorted internally and causing this.

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 02-27-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we eliminate shift cable adjustment simply by disconnecting the shift cable from the manual lever? Then we can assure the lever and shifter are in the correct position independent of each other.

Also, for each gear I tested all circuits of the mode switch and never got continuity where I wasn't supposed to. I did this on both transmissions, and it was kinda required to get the full picture.

As far as I can tell, all the lights come on with the key on, then all of them turn off except for the traction control and abs lights, and of course the check engine light. I'll have to double check when I get home but I believe that is correct.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spy2520
Can we eliminate shift cable adjustment simply by disconnecting the shift cable from the manual lever? Then we can assure the lever and shifter are in the correct position independent of each other.
Do you have it in your Haynes? you don` have to disconnect it you put the lever in neutral and the shift lever/trans in neutral and the adjustment is done from the spring loaded thingy up near the strut tower. If you don` have the instructions I will try to post it.

Also, for each gear I tested all circuits of the mode switch and never got continuity where I wasn't supposed to. I did this on both transmissions, and it was kinda required to get the full picture.
Good point!

As far as I can tell, all the lights come on with the key on, then all of them turn off except for the traction control and abs lights, and of course the check engine light. I'll have to double check when I get home but I believe that is correct.
not the cluster the actual DIC, it is off or shows 4/8 cyl,economy, tire pressure, compass calibration.

Also did you check the wiring and connectors under the car, like the steering position sensor.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

I'll have to check the Haynes manual, I don't think I saw the procedure. Also, the tpms light quite possibly is on. It's been on so much with this car I could have just blocked it out of my mind.

Also, I only checked the grounds and vss under the car, the steering was left intact so I didn't think to check it.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS > REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS - ON VEHICLE > RANGE SELECTOR LEVER CABLE ADJUSTMENT > ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

1. Apply the parking brake and ensure the vehicle is not running.

Fig 1: View Of White Plastic Cover On Center Connector Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

2. Ensure that the shift control assembly is in the park (P) position.
3. Pull back the white plastic cover (1) on the center connector.

Fig 2: Locating Lock Button Center Tabs Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

4. Pull up on the center tabs of the lock button (2).

Fig 3: Shift Cable Components Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

IMPORTANT: This step must be performed correctly to avoid a misadjusted cable. Do not grasp the shift cable end (2) during this procedure.

5. Release the shift cable end (2) and allow the blue spring to tension/adjust the shift cable system.

6. Pull the white cover (3) on the shift cable end (1) back.

Fig 4: Engaging Locking Teeth On Shift Cable End Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

7. Push the natural colored lock button (2) down to engage the locking teeth on the shift cable end (1).

Fig 5: Locating White Cover Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

8. Release the white cover (1).

Fig 6: View Of White Cover & Natural Colored Lock Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

9. Verify the white cover (1) conceals the natural colored lock (2).

10. If the white cover (1) does not conceal the natural colored lock (2), the shift cable must be readjusted.

11. Test the transmission for proper shift operation.

12. If all of the gear positions cannot be achieved, the shift cable must be readjusted.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I adjusted the shift cable (to the best of my abilities). I guess its right. Car still won't start.

I've taken a picture of the DIC, hopefully there are clues.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

read and follow this to see if the security system operates properly
http://www.gmls4.com/index.php?topic=2468.0

also I thought you had no P,R,N,D,3,2,1 at all from what I see I would look at the diagrams again and pay attention to the complete P/N switch/system. This no box situation I have seen before and it was a damaged wire at the entrance of the airbox, after a long hunt. It was a long time ago so the actual wire is forgotten but it turned out that the owner had a CAI on the car and swapped it out for service so he would not void his warranty. The damaged wire was shorting to ground and only had 1 strand left. This was in 07 and a Green wire keeps coming to mind... that would make it a datalink wire. Don`t hold me to it but it makes sense.

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 02-28-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm that does make sense. The intake did come out for this.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do remember the complaint he had was no start, it was towed in and the sheet said something along the lines that the box would disappear and car would stall and start up on its own. Usually ruff road and some times the box would blink for a bit. after checking he had no box at all. I called him and got more details then 07 that's how I knew about the CAI. The problem was not so much the shorting as the disconnect/broken wire. I am pretty sure it was Green but it was a datalink wire. In your case it may not be right there but in a wire in that/those bundles that were moved and or all the way to the DIC in the IP.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

true, i doubt mine is a datalink wire also since at the dlc i get the correct resistance with the key off, and i think that 120ohm resistor is inside the ecm, leading me to believe everything from the port to ecm is ok. More searching....
Old 03-01-2014, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

true, i doubt mine is a datalink wire also since at the dlc i get the correct resistance with the key off, and i think that 120ohm resistor is inside the ecm, Go back and look at the datalink diagrams, there is also a terminating resistor 120ohm, so you would have to disconnect the ECM and actually ring the pins on it to verify and then also independently verify the terminating resistor also 120ohm. leading me to believe everything from the port to ecm is ok. More searching....
also your ABS and traction lights should of only come on briefly for the test at key on, they stayed on so there is ? there. For this I want you to turn the key ON and remove the fuses for these, then turn the key off and remove. Now re-install the fuses removed and try again with the key on to see if those 2 lights extinguish after they do their initial test.
also the driver side air bag light should indicate you are in the seat and the passenger should indicate the seat is empty, then get someone to sit in the passenger side to verify that it shows there is an occupant in that seat.
Just trying to elimate sections of the system without the use of a tech2.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:24 AM
12 Second Club

Ok I'll try that.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

after my battery is disconnected for more than a day my abs and trac lights stay on as well on first start, after the engine runs and is cut off and restarted from there on, it no longer does it.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91parkave
after my battery is disconnected for more than a day my abs and trac lights stay on as well on first start, after the engine runs and is cut off and restarted from there on, it no longer does it.
Hmm, that's strange. I wonder why.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm, that's strange. I wonder why.
so after all this have you by chance thought about swapping out the PRNDL switch on the trans? also were the pins fully seated in the connector for it?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

That switch is internal on this trans I believe, and I tested it and got the correct results.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Spyman, does your mileage show when you change your DIC and is your gas tank actually empty? Does the ambient air temp show in the DIC?
The ABS/trac module sensed and logged a low/no voltage code that does not clear with a disconnect as the ECM/TCM, that iswhy I asked for the fuse pull during live activity. Plus lastofadyingbreed/parkave he has stability control and tapshift and heads up display different beast as for wiring.

PRD321 Display
The IPC displays the selected gear position as determined by the ECM. The IPC receives a GMLAN message from the ECM indicating the gear position.
The PRND321 displays blank if:
- The ECM detects a malfunction in the transmission range switch circuit.
- The IPC detects a loss of GMLAN communications with the ECM.
- The IPC detects a loss of GMLAN communications with the BCM.

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 03-01-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

I'm gonna pull the fuses when I get home and report back. The mileage does show.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
PRD321 Display
The IPC displays the selected gear position as determined by the ECM. The IPC receives a GMLAN message from the ECM indicating the gear position.
The PRND321 displays blank if:
- The ECM detects a malfunction in the transmission range switch circuit.
- The IPC detects a loss of GMLAN communications with the ECM.
- The IPC detects a loss of GMLAN communications with the BCM.
Ok, process of elimination here, is TPMS controlled by (or passes through) the BCM? because it shows up on the IPC fine, all air pressure readings are showing up. I went through it and noticed there is no value for engine oil life. I always assumed it was just a mileage counter and was contained within the IPC. No communication with ECM is pretty much verified by no connection to the scanner, correct?

I'm thinking the fuses I'm looking for are the two 60a fuses labeled "abs mtr 1" and "abs mtr 2". That's all I see that references abs.

Edit: Well, no luck yet if those are the right fuses. No change. I aired up the tires though so one less light on makes me feel like i made progress.

Last edited by spy2520; 03-01-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes the 2 60a are correct for the ABS motor and module. Not sure if you have a owners manual, go here for a download: http://www.gm.ca/media/owners/manual...nual_en_CA.pdf
there are 3 fuses for the ECM, pg 400, 401, ECM IGN and ECM/TCM and ETC/ECM you checked these and they are good.
most of all those things go thru the BCM but if there is a problem with it or the ECM gmlan ? just one wire screwed up can do it.
Have you checked the bundle behind the E-brake, when applying/ releasing the top of the mechanism can damage wires in that bundle.
I have some diagrams of the datalines circuit and the BCM circuit ready

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 03-01-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Won't start