LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Storage prep

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Storage prep

Im about to leave off for college and I found a garage that I can store my gxp in while im gone. Im not going too far away but I don't trust it sitting in the parking lot and I don't want it baking in the sun, then rusting in the winter. I do have a lot of wax on the car, if that matters, I will store it clean of course and put some fuel stabilizer in it, and disconnect the battery. What else should I do? I heard some people say its best to take the wax off with dish soap, but that scares me.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't use stabil. You're better off with seafoam or leaving not much gas in the tank then topping it off when you get it out.

A trickle charger on the battery would be nice, but requires power.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Dish soap has abrasives in it that should not touch your car. Wouldn't you want to leave the wax on anyway?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the wax on to prevent oxidiation
Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I would rather leave the wax on, I spend so much time detailing it, and I never knew about the empty gas tank being a better option I will try it!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went to home depo and bought a dehumidifier chemical product. Ive forgotten the name but its in a plastic cup that fits nicely in our center console cupholder and it really does absorb alot of water and crystallize over winter. and dryer sheets in the cabin and under hood apparently are a rodent deterrent. +1 on seafoam the gas and its actually better to do a oil change before storage so that the nasty **** does not settle out over the winter in the oil passages
Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoneniX
i went to home depo and bought a dehumidifier chemical product. Ive forgotten the name but its in a plastic cup that fits nicely in our center console cupholder and it really does absorb alot of water and crystallize over winter. and dryer sheets in the cabin and under hood apparently are a rodent deterrent. +1 on seafoam the gas and its actually better to do a oil change before storage so that the nasty **** does not settle out over the winter in the oil passages
DampRid. It's good stuff. Not only will it help with humidity, but also helps absorb odors.

Quick Reply: Storage prep