LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Lifter Tick

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Lifter Tick

I have what I think is an intermittent lifter tick. Sounds very loud when its doing it. Shut off and restart its nice and quiet again. Doesn't do it at every start up but its very noticeable when it does.

Is this something that is covered under warranty? I'm at 47K miles now. Just wondering if its worth taking it in to the dealer to fix.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always worth a try regardless and you'll get to run the **** out of some new rental car
Old 08-16-2012, 06:04 AM
Staging Lane

If you are still covered under warranty anything that u notice that don't seem right take it to the dealer it's free to you and who knows it may be something minor or major regardless you get a brand new part and or motor and everyone loves brand new parts
Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know there's issues where the dod lifters stick and it is under warranty. And like sleeper said....you get to neutral drop the **** out of a hhr/civic/aveo. Please post videos of that and fwd ebrake slides. In fact we could make a whole new section of videos, of rental car abuse since our cars are always in the shop.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure what year model you're dealing with but the same thing happened to me on my 09 5.3 Silverado. You're in the early stages. Before long it will get louder with every rev of the engine. It happened to me at 33k and by the time I took it in, they had to replace the cam, all the lifters and pushrods. My truck was a work truck and we run drive all over the place so mileage gets run up fast. We sold the truck to someone inside the company and it now has 102K on it and it is doing it again. The Chevy house that did the work said this isn't common, but has seen it on DOD 5.3's whereas he never saw it on the non-DOD 5.3. My suggestion is to get it in ASAP before it gets worse. Speaking from experience, it will get worse, and won't go away.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Teching In

#10-06-01-007D: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace AFM Valve Lifters) - (Apr 10, 2012)
Subject: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace AFM Valve Lifters)

Models:
2007 Buick Rainier
2009 Buick LaCrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Built Prior to April 1, 2006 with 6.2L Engine RPO L92 (These engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was disabled)
2010-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala
2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2007-2011 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali
2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
2007-2009 Saab 9-7X

Equipped with AFM (Active Fuel Management) and V8 Engine RPO L76, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5 or LZ1

Attention: This bulletin only applies to the AFM V8 engines listed above. It DOES NOT apply to non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, refer to Engine Mechanical > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Symptoms in SI.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine valve lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been shut off for at least two hours. The tick noise may last from two seconds to ten minutes.

Cause

This condition may be caused by any of the following:

• Aerated oil in the valve lifter body, resulting in the valve lifter being unable to purge the air quickly.
• A low engine oil level or incorrect oil viscosity.
• Dirty or contaminated oil.
• A low internal valve lifter oil reservoir level.
• Debris in the valve lifter.
• A high valve lifter leak down rate.

Correction

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this valve lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following steps:

1. Inspect the engine oil condition and level. Refer to Owner Manual > Service and Appearance Care > Checking Things Under the Hood > Description and Operation > Engine Oil in SI.

⇒ If the engine oil is more than one quart low, an incorrect oil viscosity is being used or if poor quality/contamination is observed, change the oil and filter.

Notice Allow at least a two hour soak time between engine OFF and start up when evaluating the valve lifter tick noise.
2. Start the engine and evaluate the valve lifter tick noise.

⇒ If the valve lifter tick noise is still present, replace all 8 active fuel management (AFM) valve lifters ONLY.

⇒ Refer to Valve Lifter Replacement (With AFM) in SI.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the engine oil is more than one quart low, an incorrect oil viscosity is being used or if poor quality/contamination is observed, change the oil and filter.
that makes sense, mine did it a few times and i was just a little low on oil, not enough to through a light but i did add some and it went away within a few seconds.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Mine will do this if I park it facing uphill... Not sure why but it will do it every morning if I parked it that way. If I park facing downhill, I have yet to hear it at startup. Not sure why this is as my driveway isn't extremely sloped, just a mild tilt.

Oh and my 99 silverado, which had a 5.3 non-afm, did this every morning at startup, didnt matter which way I parked it.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I remember seeing a TSB for this, thanks for posting.

When we first heard it, I was maybe a 1/3 of quart low. So I topped it off and it still has done it. We also park on a slight incline but I wouldn't think that would matter.

The only problem I have with taking it to the dealer around here is if they don't observe it doing it, then it won't get fixxed. Its so intermittent right now, that it probably wouldn't do it when they have it. But I might set up an appointment anyway to see what happens.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The_Madcat
Mine will do this if I park it facing uphill... Not sure why but it will do it every morning if I parked it that way. If I park facing downhill, I have yet to hear it at startup. Not sure why this is as my driveway isn't extremely sloped, just a mild tilt.

Oh and my 99 silverado, which had a 5.3 non-afm, did this every morning at startup, didnt matter which way I parked it.
+1 my small inclined drive and a cold morning mean tickety tick for a minute or two.

Quick Reply: Lifter Tick