LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

RPM Dependent Whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Dependent Whine

Just recently I have noticed a little whine that is getting louder and louder as time goes on. If the car is just idline you can't really hear it but as soon as you give it gas you can here a small whine that is RPM dependent. The higher the RPM the more high pitched the whine, it almost sounds like a supercharger whine to some degree.

It is not radio feedback.

I suspect a power steering pump but I wanted to check if any of you have seen a similar issue.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go out side with your car off take off the cap of your ps resovoir and cut the wheels back and forth to see if any air bleeds out. That can certainly cause a whine.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Check your power steering fluid level, probably low. Did you have the recall done to replace the lines? If not, they are probably leaking.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

I have that same whine but mine sounds like it's coming from near flex pipe or tranny. It sounds between a squeak and a whine though not like how a ps pump or alternator whine would sound
Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

My friend had the same problem on his 94 ford explorer(I know its a completely different vehicle) and he replaced his alternator and it went away. It was pretty loud to start with and only got louder the higher he revved it. Maybe a certain pully is starting to go.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

I have what I suspect to be the same whine. I had the transmission replaced for unrelated reasons but still have the whine so I don't think its trans related. Also replaced the water pump for unrelated, still whines. I suspect the power steering pump as others do but it only whines sometimes and turning the wheel side to side doesn't make the whine any different.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I will have to check the fluid level tomorrow, and no I have not had the power steering line recall done at least since I have owned it. I guess they could be leaking, who knows.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Update:

Problem was the idler pulley right under the power steering pump. I used a pry bar to activate teh tensioner spring and then slipped the belt off the pulley, then I spun each pulley and found one to be really rough to spin, replaced it, re-installed belt. No more noise. $16.18.

15MM socket to remove pulley.

I almost felt guily only spending that much money to fix it.

Quick Reply: RPM Dependent Whine